Defunct Bike Shops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EL Jim, Aug 30, 2011.

1. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

What was the bike shop that was close to the fully loop and had a cool room with a couch and tv's in it? I always liked the atmosphere there but cant remember the name

2. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Los Alamitos bike shop. Lots of BMX stuff, bullseye hubs, frames, etc. Bought my Hutch frame there back in 1982. Also bought my Bianchi Premio in 91. Still have both.

Back in the late 70's I remember a shop in Cypress on Lincoln called King of Bikes. Not a high end place but they had a chrome fork on display for $20 and all I could think was "damn thats expensive". Memories.

Not sure what it was called back in the day (early 80's) but there was a small bike shop on Beach Blvd in Buena Park I'd buy BMX parts from (chainrings, powerdisc). If its the same place its now the big Buena Park Bicycles.

3. ahimanic

ahimanic Victim of Karate Monkey

Bean counter!
    Anyone remember the yearly Super Sale flyers?? Used to anticipate those outdoor sales through out SoCal!

A little off tangent here but what about CATALOG STORES?? Before the internet the catalogs were the sh*t. Back in the 80's the biggies were Performance (before they opened all the stores in CA) and Bike Nashbar. They are still live and kicking, though not having the same impact they once had with product selections. Once upon a time I probably purchased 80% of my components and accessories from those 2 catalogs.

Reading through all these nolstalgic postings about defunct bike shops led me to one conclusion--bike shop is a bloody tough business!

4. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    Also, to the best of my knowledge, the first local shop to sell Outland, the original VPP frame. Lots of ti hardware "plus" machined seat and chain stays. I built one up for my son that he's ridden once or twice.

5. nomadFF

nomadFF Member

LACoFD
    Glad to see A1 cycles in here. I used to save my pennies to go get the latest bmx stuff. They also had a cool skateboard selection. Cool family owned business, they are still there, I think.

6. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Is this A1 in Westminister???? Who runs it now??? I used to know the owner through a friend and we used to BBQ at her place once in a while....

7. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Cantina in San Diego. Really cool little shop right at the west trail head for Penasquitos. They ran the Socal Yeti team with all factory bikes.

8. XTC29er

XTC29er New Member

What was the bike shop that was close to the fully loop and had a cool room with a couch and tv's in it? I always liked the atmosphere there but cant remember the name

That shop was TCB. Belive it stood for Tri City Bikes

9. XTC29er

XTC29er New Member

What happened to BS bikes in Santa Ana. They came up quick, but I do not believe they are around anymore.
    Alos HB Bikes was big in the late 90's. I believe they were at Beach and Garfield.

10. toyotachase

toyotachase New Member

Wheel Jammer Bike Shop in Hemet

11. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    i remember alot of the shops you peeps listed. the one i bought my mtb from was called the bike chain in san dimas. A diamond back acent ex. Some of you bmx peeps my remember one employee named TOM BRAKENS. another from that shop after closing went on and opened his own on harbor blvd, called TCB. Being a friend of mine, i gave MARK a good idea for a shirt saying... it went something like ' SERVICING YOUR MOM SINCE 1996'. almost got into fisty cuffs with that in public.