Chino Hills State Park proposed for closure (Threads merged)

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by slapshotz, May 29, 2009.

1. whayong

whayong New Member

The problem is voters are afraid of the "S" word. Then, when it is time to make cuts, it's always a "not in my back yard" mentality.

2. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    "Specialized"? I like my Stumpjumper just fine, thank you!
    :lol:

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    The point was not what is important or not but the tacit politicians take to promote their agendas. Increases in funding for Schools and Law Enforcement are on nearly every election ballot and normally pass. My point is, in this time of crisis maybe let the people of California choose what is important and what is not. There are many agencies that could be trimmed before Police and School Services. Go to the Senior Center and check out the food that is given out to people that can more than afford their own food.

Dean

4. Punk Sanders

Punk Sanders Member

shipping/receiving clerk-no reality tv show deal y
    Maybe they could lock the gates to keep vehicles out and adopt a use at your own risk policy for bikers and hikers. Then if we wanted to clear trails, we could just get a group together and go in. All the state would have to do is grade the roads after the rains. They would have to do that anyway to maintain access to powerlines. Of course, keeping the park open would be preferable.

5. sdmoondogg

sdmoondogg New Member

6. minhster

minhster DNF'd

damn! str is fast, i was in a meeting and reading the ocr on my phone and read this article too, barely got out the meeting, ran to my desk to post and there's already a post w/ 2 pages!

the good news is that IF they were to close, it's because of money, and not because of mountain bikers (my fear when i first saw the title). that also means when there is money, or an organazation takes responsible for it, it'll be open again.

7. berringer

berringer Weekday Rider!

Realtor
    Home Page:
    This is my regular stomping ground, I would be sad to see it lock up. Several months ago I try signing up for the "patrolling" volunteer work, I never got a response.

I don't think they are well equip to handle the volunteers or the park. It shall be release to a private sector of volunteers.

8. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    If the parks close it will hurt tourism/spending, (restaurants, hotels, flights, souvenirs, etc.) thus tax revenues will be eliminated. This will be so insane if it happens. ](*,) Sacramento needs to stop making government bigger, stop decorating state offices every six months, stop buying cars that never get used and stop putting personal expense accounts on the citizens. Sacramento is a hugh money pit. This is what happens when you have a two party system. :protest:

9. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker

Attached Files:

10. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Whoa....that made me dizzy

11. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    Here ya go....................................

Schwarzenegger plans $2.8 billion more in state cuts

Reporting from Sacramento -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed $2.8 billion in additional cuts to state government this morning that would slice deeper into funding for education, health and welfare programs.

Schools would be hit by $680 million in new cuts, while the state's social safety net would lose $1 billion more in funding for the poor, disabled and aged. A 5% salary reduction for state employees, reported by The Times on Thursday, would save the state $470 million.

"We really scrapped the bottom of the barrel here," said Mike Genest, Schwarzenegger's finance director. "We cut everything we could think of. . . . It's unfortunate, but it is what it is -- and we have to live within our means."

The new proposals come on top of more than $21 billion in slashed spending plans announced by the governor little more than a week ago. State economists forecast California's budget deficit at more than $24 billion for the fiscal year that will begin in July. Several of the cuts, including those for schools, would be contingent on whether the state's tax revenues in the coming months dip as deeply as the forecasts suggest.

Schwarzenegger's latest bid to save money would affect nearly all quarters of state operations. Mass transit funding would take a $315 million hit in the new plan; roads and other transportation projects would lose an additional $242 million.

The healthcare cuts would include the elimination of the adult day-care program in its entirety, which would net $117 million in savings. Also eliminated will be a $10.5-million caregiver program that helps the severely disabled, such as people with traumatic brain injuries.

12. berringer

berringer Weekday Rider!

Realtor
    Home Page:
    Proposed housing tracks (large lots), golf coarse, bike park development. The entire theme shall be developed around the bike park. Add a lake or two for fishing... We'll call it the Chino Hills Loop. :lol:

13. nekit

nekit New Member

Software Developer
    Poaching. Here, I said that. I guess that's what many tried to say with these questions about patrolling and rangers questions.
    I guess it will still be illegal. But if there are no rangers on patrol...

The question is will it be morally more acceptable or justifiable? "Poaching" i the area that's closed only because dumb politicians make stupid decision BUT on _public_ land, on the well established and signed trails, in a healthy and vibrant ecosystem.

I believe this will be much different from someone going down Luge right after fires or cutting unauthorised singletrack in laguna...

14. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Grasshopper, are you trying to mess with my meals??? ;)

15. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

If they do shut the park, we should all sign up to volunteer to "patrol" the park in order to keep all the scumbag lawbreakers out.......

16. Punk Sanders

Punk Sanders Member

shipping/receiving clerk-no reality tv show deal y
    They haven't mentioned how much money the state could save if they released all the prisoners on drug related charges. Might be a few pennies saved there if you could get it by the prison guard union. California's prison population is way outa control.

17. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Good thing I just joined the California State Parks Foundation...I can see it was money well spent!

This strikes me as just what happens when government gets bigger and bigger and wants more and more of your money to support its gluttony.

I work hard and pay my taxes. I'm sick of supporting the freeloaders (illegal aliens, welfare, other social programs for lazy people) and the elected officials who were elected to work FOR us, but who chiefly work for themselves.

Remember the electrical power crisis from a few years ago when Gumby was our governor? There was no REAL power crisis, but there were several bad decisions made by government that resulted in said power crisis.

I think we're in the same boat again. Our elected officials have made a bunch of bad decisions, and now they want us to pay for them.

I should add that not all social programs are for the lazy or the freeloaders. I lost my job a few years ago, and it was nice to receive unemployment benefits until I was able to find another job.

18. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    Mine too (in addition to the Fully loop.) I'll "patrol" the heck out of it. :lol:

19. dirtydoug

dirtydoug New Member

Govt
    This is politics 101. The first thing you do is threaten to eliminate the most popular stuff. Scare tactics, pure and simple. Just like saying 2,000 cops and firemen will be laid off. It never happens. Yes, the state is in serious, serious shit. But closing parks to save a couple million (as compared to the billions they are looking for) won't make a bit of difference.

20. Lone ranger

Lone ranger Guest

That includes El Moro And most State Parks in the area .Adventure pass is for National forest .Govenator strikes again . Bad people you did'nt vote my way now suffer.