biker missing on skyline

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UR2KLOS, Mar 2, 2014.

1. killamonster

killamonster New Member

Thank you so much MTB community!

Andres widow Christyna had a simple request of a procession of bike riders to head off towards the cemetery on rimpau! really good to see all the support for their family... I am not sure exactly when the rosary is going to finish but I would assume 12:00 -12:30 we should be suited up to ride! Look forward to seeing you all there. Patrick....... PS. so cool to see they met their goal of 10K Thanks again...

2. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

prior to this tragic event, I never really thought about a personal locator beacon before, and almost all of my rides are solo. I stopped by REI after work today to buy one. The sales person asked me what brought me in, because he had already sold 3 earlier in the day, so I shared Andres story with him. While I can't make it to Corona tomorrow, I can certainly donate, and I plan on riding up the hill Sunday to pay my respects.

3. killamonster

killamonster New Member

4. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

My thoughts and prayers will be with the family and all the riders attending. Unfortunately I will not be able to join as I'm doing a trails assessment for the Forest Service in the morning and will not be done in time to join.

5. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I never thought about one either and actually went into REI today and picked up a DeLORME InReach SE Satellite Communicator.. for $299 it's a small price to pay if something were to go wrong.. just like any insurance policy, I pray to never need it..

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

My condolences to the family in this tradgedy, but why are we being singled out? :?:

7. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Jason,
    We Are not being singled out. People refer to this area of the Santa Ana's as "ours".
    Its an honor more than anything else.
    I will be there.

-Fast on Slow Horse-Andy Lightle-Warriors Society Member since 2001

8. Finnigan

Finnigan New Member

Do you think SAR just has unlimited resources for something like this? Between Riverside PD and USFS they have trucks, a few jeeps and helicopters that can only be flown in good weather. No quads, no motos, and the only mounted divisions are volunteers. Our Local SAR teams are not full time, professional units, they are volunteers and reserves. SAR made the right call for their people given the condtions. A lot of bad choices were made that day, but not by SAR.

The you know what, YOU go join a SAR team. If you're not willing to do that, stop talking a big game. SAR units DONT have quads or motos, and they certaintly wouldn't use them at night, in the rain, on wet trails if the did. Good grief. This isn't the A-Team, SAR units are volunteers and reserve sheriffs.

Well unless you were out there looking yourself those "Sierra club weenies" did more to help than you, so maybe it's best to just keep quiet. And I'm sure if you ever needed their help to haul you out one day you'll be singing a different tune.

Thank you. This is the first reasonable post I've seen highlighting the issues SAR teams face.

9. strobe

strobe resident noob

Finnigan, we've moved on from that. Try it on. It might fit.

10. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

In Memoriam of Andres "Pancho" Marin (Andres, meaning "The Man")

(Have been out of communication due to popping my back out on San Juan last week and just now read of this incident, so here goes.)

Confessions of a Mountain Biker:
    We are impervious (so far).
    Broken bones are just part of mountain biking life.
    If you are not crashing, you are not trying.
    The best ride is the longest and the most technical.
    Yes I nearly died, but so far so good . . . (we are impervious).
    I remember the time (I almost died, but. . .)

Which reminds me, about a year or two ago I went up San Juan Trail to Blue Jay--a fairly demanding jaunt, but got a late start, and weather was predicted. I started out in the sun and made the climb. At Blue Jay (the 11 mile point) I began my descent, the clouds covered over, the cool set in and the sun was going down (I have chased the sunset down dozens of times).

I was getting cold though I had my top gear for cold and wet (a $200 Gortex Shell and hoodie, rain booties to cover my feet, snowshoe socks, double gloves, layered clothing inc. wool sweater--the best), but still, it started raining and the bushes held the water and started drenching me--water coming out my shoes. Thought I was doing ok, because I could keep the rhythm to stay on the trail. Then below Cocktail (the half-way down point) I noticed that some of my turns became a little sketchy. I stopped just above a wash to get my balance, and could not, and promptly fell into the wash, watching myself in unbelief--no muscle control).

By the time I got back up to the trail I knew I was suffering from hypothermia--lack of clear thinking and lack of muscle control (I won't tell of my previous story with hypothermia on Puget Sound where "I nearly died, but so far so good . . ."). Then the clouds set in and it was totally dark. I dutifully put on my headlamp, only to discover, that lights in the fog blind you, but no lights in the dark is also blindness, so I kind of looked to the side. It was raining heavily so that the trail had a stream of water down it, making for mud conditions, descending lower San Juan. On one side was the mountain, and on the other was over the cliff-nothing.

I couldn't not go down the mountain, so I balanced the conditions of hypothermia, blindness, mindlessness, over the cliff and a steep descent in the mud. See what I mean? "I remember the time ("I nearly died, but so far so good . . .") Let me tell you a secret. Every mountain biker has his story--we are all the same--blame us or love us, and do not blame the search and rescue (no matter how jacked), because we all believe everything is our responsibility once we head up the trail. We take that responsibility up the trail and share it with our fellow mountain bikers, and help each other--if at all possible--right or wrong, that is the code by which Pancho rode--don't let anyone tell you differently.

Since life is uncertain, and even random, we could as easily be driving to work or walking across the street like a wonderful couple walking down the street of Irvine not too long ago, and come to our end. We live, we love, and so it goes--Ride in Peace, Pancho, and we Ride with You. There but for the Grace of God, go you and I. My heart goes out to Pancho's family, and my prayers are with you.--Wayne (always, grief is far too much :( )

11. jbh65

jbh65 Member

Dont post much anymore because of all the BS, but I have to say this might be the best post I've read on this site. Could not agree more!!!!

12. choyado

choyado New Member

Bike builder
    I made it out to the "memorial ride" from the church to the cemetery toady. I have to say that I saw some amazing things today. There were about 40 or so riders that showed up in support of Andres and his wife Christyna. All of whom were complete strangers with only one thing in common with Andres...a love for mountain biking. It was cool. Christyna showed an amazing amount of strength and composure in the situation...I know I would not have been able to hold it together as well as she did....Strength!!! She actually rode her mountain bike with us following the Hurst.

I noticed something very cool but almost eerie about the burial site...It has a perfectly clear view of Santiago peak.

13. jaime

jaime Member

It was a beautiful day here in Corona, a lot of mtbkers showed up, it was a nice memorial ride to the final resting place of Andres, very touching ceremony, glad to be part of this community :clap:

here are some pics of the funeral and ride ... :)

Attached Files:

14. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I was able to make it there today as well. I didn't get an accurate count, but there were dozens of riders of all different types and abilities. I expected a short procession to the cemetery, at which time we would peel off and leave. Instead, Andres' wife made our participation a key part of the service--as someone else said above, she rode behind the hearse with us, the dozens of riders streaming behind the hearse quite a distance. When she exited the church, she was visibly moved by our presence and stopped and spoke to us, then hugged each of us at the site, which I didn't expect. To be honest, it was a bit outside of my comfort zone but I was in fact there for her and her sons and family, even though I don't know her; like Andres, I too am a father and husband and have a passion for mountain biking, like to push myself to see where the limits are and I've made mistakes too--which of us hasn't? And I was glad I could, in a small limited way, demonstrate support for her and her family and be there for the riders who wanted to but couldn't.

Choyado and Bikesurfski said it very well above. I am tempted to describe more of what I saw today but I think it might be better to simply say that I am very proud of being a member of this community and I witnessed some very moving acts of kindness today.

15. socalMX

socalMX Member

Wow, over $30,000 in donations when the original goal was 10k, amazing!

16. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    My condolences to the family. This has been hard for me to read but i read every post and cried all the way thru.

My wife and i are sitting here and she is taking all the phone #s of my close and and not so close friends

that i ride with to insure her a little more about whether or not she will need them is not question.

Its always come up what if you dont come home(is what she always asks)...

and now she will have all the #s to call my emergency crew...

attachment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2014
  17. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I don't mean to be ghoulish but did they ever come out with an exact cause of death?
    Concussion leading to disorientation to hypothermia or just hypothermia?
    She sounds like an incredibly strong woman. Once the dust has settled, I suspect the real pain will set in.
    I think she has a strong support group though.
    I hope I see her on the trails someday.
    R.I.P.

18. launchpad

launchpad Member

Unemployed and Living In My Mom's Basement
    Orange County but want to move to the Inland Empir
    ^Was wondering the same thing over the weekend. Don't know if they do an autopsy if there is no foul play suspected. Glad to see so many came out in support though.

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

The last article indicated that they were waiting for test results from autopsy.....but said those could take weeks.

20. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    A update for those interested in attending/participating and I apologize for the extremely short notice:

Tomorrow morning, Saturday the 29th of March, Patrick- the motorcyclist that found Andres- will be leading a caravan from Corona to the Maple Springs gate and then drive up to 4 Corners. From there they will hike/ride/walk to the spot where Andres was found and place a cross the family has made. His family - wife and children - will be in attendance. I spoke with her yesterday and they are ready to do this.

Mario (Mp3) - the mountain biker who was 2nd on site that morning- and myself will be meeting at the Maple Springs gate around 6:30am and pedaling up to 4 corners and waiting for the family and then joining them to pay our respects and be there for support.

The pedal pace will be mellow- this is not a CC/VQ training ride- so if anyone would like to join us and support his family that would be fantastic.

Thank you.
    Neil