Big Mountain Day (And Mountaineering?)

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by MTBMaven, Mar 21, 2009.

1. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I had not ridden in two weeks and spent three days on the couch this weekend with a head cold. So I was determined to get in some kind of ride today. I couldn't decide if I wanted to ride to Santa Barbara or San Diego. In the end decided to spend the day riding the road bike in the San Gab mountains.

I departed about 7:30 from Pasadena and worked my way over to Angeles Crest Highway. My head was totally congested and breathing wasn't that easy. I pressed on not wanting to head home so quickly.

First Clear Creek, then Red Box, then Newcombs. I wasn't feeling strong but I just kept pedaling. I got two eggs over medium, hash browns, and wheat toast at Newcombs. Really hit the spot. I love pulling out of Newcombs on a bike and continuing up the hill. Something about it just seems wrong. After all that climbing continuing just doesn't seem right.

Got to Cloudbust, then the tunnels, then Highway 39. After about Cloudbust there was a good bit of snow on the road. By the time I got to the 39 there was a lot of snow on the side of the road. I got really nervous when I finally got to look at the 39. I was like the climber on Everset who spends all their energy getting to the top and has nothing left in the tank to get back down. The road looked impassable but I didn't think I had the legs to head back down the 2.

I pushed on figuring I will go until I can't go anymore. There were rocks everywhere. I hit the first snow drift pretty quickly. The snow was very soft and I managed pretty well. Thinking to myself this is really crazy. Then I see a Prescribed Burn in Porgress sign. That was great. I push on. I'm making good progress, feeling like I'm going to make it. Then I see the mother of all snow drifts. I had to make my way through a mine field of rocks on the road carrying my bike before I could get to the snow. I see a little ribbon of dirt to walk on. Problem is it's about 2 feet wide and a 100+ foot near vertical run out on one side and steep snow drift on the other.

On the other side I can tell someone had be cutting into the snow drift and left a 10+ foot wall of snow. I managed to get down a section that was only about 5 feet tall.

Mind you all of this is with carbon soled road shoes with big ass clips on the bottom. Not exaclty hiking shoes here. Past this section the road clear up and I can finally start my long descent down the 39 with realative safety.

In hind sight it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done but it was an adventure and a hell of a ride.

Stats:
    Distance: 90 miles
    Gain: 9,500 feet
    Moving Time:7:04:22

2. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Before anyone else points it out I know. I was kicking myself for not having my camera. I thought it would be a less interesting ride.

Attached Files:

3. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Sounds Great Brian. I gotta go with you sometime!
    I did 80miles with 5000 ft up. It was heavy drizzle and I was not dressed quite right. We stopped at the Rock Store on Mulholland and got pancakes and coffee and warmed up. That was great!!Then we hit Stunt and a blast of a downhill on Topanga! Cold but still fun!!

4. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Mmmm pancakes. That sounds like a nice route.

5. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    sounds like a lot of pain followed by mucho fun. I wish i wasnt so fat and could keep up with some of you more experienced riders. you always post what sounds like super fun rides.