Big Bear shootout #1

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by dislocated1, May 15, 2009.

1. Kritter

Kritter Member

Suspension Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    Going to be good to see all the sandbagging beginners since beginners ran same loop as sport. Fun race...brutal

2. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I thought the same thing; then I rode the longer course--that one IS FUN! Don't get me wrong, brutal, but oh so much more singletrack!!!! Ride long n ride hard guys! :)

Oh, and I not only got my butt handed to me, but 1st place had time to bake then garnish it, too. Still, good times!

3. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    There were quite a few sandbaggers in my class today. Losers.

4. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    I don't know about bags, but there was more than enough sand on the corners. I was happy that I kept it upright!

And the dust was bad for my breathing. I don't think my lungs have felt that way since I quit smoking!

Congrats to everyone out there today.

Any word on the dude who crashed?

5. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

Not worth 50 dollars..... Open roads, etc., etc. (Ghetto!) I witnessed a car, racer crash on course.

If Big Bear does not want us it's time to move on.

6. WoodyW

WoodyW Member

I had fun, although I hate the fireroad action too. That's why I love Idyllwild...it's 90% singletrack and cheaper too.
    Wish there were a few more under 34 clydes in Cat 2 to run with though. I hate racing 1 other guy...just doesn't feel right if you know you are gonna be on the box no matter what.

Good run Skyler and Kritter. The Barhoppers were strong.

7. whybother

whybother New Member

since we are complaining...

having to work through the beginner/sport riders, while battling for a podium spot, on technical singletrack decents, is ASS!

too many cars driving on the fire roads during a race!!!

witnessed a moto come flying up the road and nearly head-on collide with a rider right in front of me. craziness!!!!!!!

i am all for technical hard courses, but screw getting splattered by a car while on a mountain bike! close the freaking roads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great race and it was fun beating the hell out of myself at altitude, but i will pass on races that put my life in jeapardy. hell, the riders in the Giro get PAID and they wouldn't race stuff that didn't have half the dangers out there today!

8. Knuckledragger

I agree! I could go on however, what is the point?

9. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    ..... but when all is said and done any day racing is better than a day not racing.....

10. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
  11. Kritter

Kritter Member

Home Page:
    Im on the box everynight and it feels right...

12. Kritter

Kritter Member

Home Page:

That prick was riding on Saturday as well and a ranger was following him but nowhere near enough speed to catch him if he was even attempting to. Yesterday I came out of the climb to 2n10 and along that route to pirates he was running HOT making as much dust possible powersliding the corners. The only way to make more dust would have been to sit and do a brake stand. I flipped him the bird but he didnt care as he was a total squid.

As for the decents being log jammed...I agree but I found plenty of places to pass on plantation, pirates and fall line even though it was tight and I am only a beginner. I typically try to find the most beaten torn up path that nobody will take so I didnt have to ask anybody to move. The only pass I didnt get yesterday was the last turn to the finish chute when I got into the guys back tire in front of me since he didnt hold his line.

The delayed rewards were annoying and the fact they did the big bear multi sport awards first delaying mountain bike results further was really annoying. Snow shoe racing? Paddling? I thought we were there for mountain biking.

True.

13. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals

14. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

man, lots of complaining... news flash - racing sucks. its hard. its uncomfortable. you might get hurt. you have to get past slower riders. it usually takes all day if you make the podium. it costs a lot of money and the rewards are crap.

that said, i do as many as i can and expect inconveniences. cant wait to get to santa barbara!

15. agisguy

agisguy New Member

GIS Development
    Home Page:
  16. sue

sue pomona queen

good grief, people. i'm a mid-pack cat 2 female who can usually podium at small races, but even that isn't a sure thing. i don't necessarily pass a lot of riders but i always have my race interrupted by pros and cat ones, and you know what, that's all part of the race. most of the people who pass me are super nice, but i deal with some real a-holes who think i should stop completely and pull over, which i have actually done before.

i also fell on that road going up to the race after locking bar ends with my friend, then crashed really hard onto a log during the race (i don't pretend to have great skills) and cried A LOT (especially when i saw the line for tacos) but i still appreciate the fact that people are willing to put on these events for very little profit. races make for long days and even i get tired of waiting for the awards, but i know they are doing their best to make everything run smoothly.

that being said, everyone who passed me yesterday was awesome and the smallest words of encouragement are always greatly appreciated!!

17. Knuckledragger

The course should still be closed (.) especially for the cost of the race. If the venue doesn't permit it, then it's time for a new one. Big Bear has pretty much put it in stone that we are not welcome so it's time to stop beating a dead horse. (The mountains glory days are over and they are not coming back.)

Racing is racing, I have no complaints w/ that however, getting hit by a damn car or high speed motorbike is another story.

Looking forward to next week!

18. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    Man the weather up there was ideal. I had a blast and was supprised by the turn out. Wish i would have pre road it as i had no idea what was coming up around each corner. The 2 water sections both almost got man. Haha but it was sure fun.

19. sue

sue pomona queen

didn't know big bear hated us being there, that's crap. and yeah, i'd rather not run into 20 SUVs while also trying not to fall down due to my own lack of skills!

20. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    I think I'm just grouchy cuz I got my arse handed to me. Talk about getting spanked!!

So I'll take this moment to say something positive:
    I rode with a great group yesterday:beer:. ​
    I have a big bike and big body to match. I do great on the downs and pass lots of folks. I ask/hint politely from behind and everyone usually finds a safe spot and I get by. Yesterday was the best ever. Then we hit the ups and those people pedal right past me. Repeat, repeat. We joked about it all afternoon and I actually made a few new friends while it was happening. The 'on trail' etiquette was awesome...so thanks to all!