Bad crash - hit from behind

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by febrazuca, Apr 9, 2012.

1. febrazuca

febrazuca New Member

I crashed hard while riding in Aliso Woods late afternoon about 1 month ago and still haven't recovered. I was coming down on the main ridge trail from the top of the world in towards Cholla. I was coming down fast, and as I made a left turn, another biker coming from behind hit me on my left side, as I turned left. The guy apparently thought I made a sign asking him to pass.... there couldn't be a worse location to pass, as there is a single track on the left, I signed a turn, there was no warning as "on your left", and we were coming down very fast. I crashed really hard and dislocated my shoulder, cracked my kneecap among other things.

Still recovering because of someone's wreckless behavior, no safe distance, bad judgement. Very frustrating, some bikers out there should know better.

2. commplex

commplex SSuper SSlacker

Insurance Agent
    I dont ride aliso in the direction mentioned above but if I did I would not be "coming down fast" due to the fact that there are usually a ton of other hikers, dog walkers, other riders and random groups of people spread out all over the trail. Im sorry to hear that you crashed and got hurt but I would be very careful riding anything over an average pace if your going to ride that direction.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Getting hurt sucks. Regardless of cause.

Last I checked county parks had a 10 mph speed limit.

Then again you must not have been goin that fast if a donkey rider caught you from behind....just sayin'.

4. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

bummer. dislocated shoulders SUCK.

5. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Sorry to hear that.. we ride there alot in that direction and we ride at a high rate of speed at times too, but yes it can be hazardous. Out of curiosity, where were you on the ridge? I'm just trying to figure out any real need to make a left anywhere.. at least a hard left.. unless you're rt at the top of Mathis or dropping into one of the illegal trails, I don't know of any left other than dropping into Stairsteps.. not to defend the other rider but perhaps they felt cruising by on the left was safe given there aren't too many reasons for the rider being passed to make a left in front of them? Just my 2 cents.. but sorry for your injuries.. never fun..

6. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

How did you signal a left if you were going fast? Does your bike have turn signals?

On some other forum, there's probably a guy saying that he was riding along, and some guy randomly cut left in front of him for no apparent reason causing them to collide.

Bummer nonetheless. I know too well how dislocated shoulders feel.

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    No Bueno being hurt.

I live close to Aliso but spend most of my prime time local riding in Laguna Wilderness Park, Irvine open space and El Moro because Aliso seems to get much more traffic on weekend AMs and afterwork. I do love Aliso but you need to be cautious out there.

Dean

8. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

Hope you recover soon.

9. badgas

badgas I like dirt

Whatever the cause that sucks.....Healing vibes to you

10. febrazuca

febrazuca New Member

It's a single track trail just pass the bench on the junction with Mathis, it's about 1/2 mile long and begins and ends in the ridge trail. There is a fire hydrant at the entrance of it, where I banged my head during the crash. Got a new helmet. I don't think it's illegal, there is a bench at the top of it, maybe it's supposed to be a hikers trail, but there are no signs limiting access.

11. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    That scrap of single track is legal. I usually use it as a little e.c. climb on my way up to totw. This serves as a good reminder for all of use to be aware and always let other riders know when you intend to pass.

12. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

I know where the OP made the left. It's goes into a short section of singletrack that parallels the top of the world fireroad and a popular option. Most of us will hit this with speed because it is at the bottom of a downhill. You can hit 30 mph if you don't apply brakes going down this hill. In this case, I think the rider behind is at fault. He is probably going too fast to anticipate OP's left turn.

13. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Yep, I now do know exactly where you're talking about.. the hydrant.. and that is a tough spot.. honestly when I make that veer to the left I am usually spending more time looking at oncoming traffic than thinking someone might try and pass me to left from behind.. I will make sure to pay more attn myself when making that left..

14. exrcyst

exrcyst Member

I don't think I've ever seen a person signal on a trail, but if I were making a change in direction, I'd at least look over my shoulder, just like changing lanes in a motor vehicle. I'm pretty sure if you were both in cars, you'd be at fault. I probably couldn't distinguish between "pass on my left" and "I'm turning left" so I would have run into you as well.

Anyway, best wishes on a swift and full recovery.

15. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 New Member

As far as I see it, if you're going to turn left on a trail, you need to make sure its safe to do so....just as in driving, your left turn should be made from the leftmost part of the trail. Sorry to say, but from what I understand, I think it was your fault, but the guy doing the passing certainly didn't use good judgement in making a pass right where there was a turn off option.

16. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    Sucks being hurt, especially when it keeps you off the bike. Heal up! On another note, I always look over my shoulder and never assume there is no one going to be there. Always be aware of you surroundings, who is in front and behind you. I've seen some bikers riding on the right side of the trail, and then all of a sudden cut over to the left without even checking to make sure it was safe. I'd hate to be driving behind them too. This doesn't discount a riders responsibility to let the person know they are passing. If it were me, i'd make sure I was going faster than the guy behind me :)

17. febrazuca

febrazuca New Member

Good point guys, I agree with you on that one, but I didn't know the person was that close. I was aware that soemone was wayyy behind as I started the descend from the junction at Mathis, but I guess that as I slowed down to initiate the turn he cought up pretty fast.I should have banged the left portion of the trail as opposed to coming wide....I certainly have a share on the accident.

However, one is supposed to be always under control and ready to avoid the person in front of you, just as when you are driving. As a few folks mentioned there should be good judgement when passing, I don't think passing someone going downhil at +-30mph is safe, especially without warning (yell "on your left/right") and at a portion of the trail where there is a trail junction. If I had heard something, I certainly wouln't have turned. I usually avoid getting too close on downhills and pass on a flat areas or when climbing. I got a few lessons out of this. Sucks to be out for 1 month and, but I should get back at least on the road bike in a couple of days. Take care out there everyone, ride safe.

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Something to consider, you may never want to yell at another rider when at speeds. Since sounds often can't clearly be heard because of wind in the ears, the yelling may cause severe confusion and even panic to the other rider, then causing him/her to crash. This commonly occurs.

It is also risking yelling "ON YOUR LEFT!" because that may be construed by the other person as "move to your left." It is not uncommon that even in non-riding situations that you miss the first few words someone is saying until you identify that they are talking to you.

While it generally is a rule of thumb that the overtaking rider has to do so responsibly, that also implies that the overtaken rider is maintaining a consistent course of travel.

While I know none of these really makes the injury feel better, it may take your anger away, and it may make you more cautious of these situations. Hopefully others reading this may learn something as well.

Heal up soon!

19. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

If you're faster than the person in front of you, in any situation, you should also be the one more in control of their rig. It is the responsibility of the overtaking rider to pass the slower rider when it is safe to do so...in all sports...so as not to put either individual at risk. Formula 1, Motocross, etc...the blue flag indicates a faster car passing from behind, but that doesn't mean the slower has any less right to the safe line(s).

IMHO, unless you verbally indicated it was safe to pass and pulled off to the side and slowed, its the person behind who is at fault. I'm pretty quick, but when someone tries to pass me, or I try to pass them, I follow these rules, and have yet to be involved in a crash or piss someone off (even expert wanna-be pros when I was a beginner, or now that I'm a sport wanna-be pro passing a beginner) in nearly 20 years.

Positive vibes to the shoulder heal, sometimes crashes happen despite the best of intentions, but if it happens multiple times to the same person, then perhaps you need to look at what you do to inspire collisions.

Re: When overtaking...only shout "LEFT"...everything else can be misunderstood...and only pass on the LEFT...goes for the road as well as the trail.

20. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

I'm sorry, but only shouting "Left" is not enough information and only makes it more confusing. A newbie hiker/biker won't know what that means. Hell, I don't know what "LEFT!!" means. What do you want me to do? Does it mean, look to my left, move to my left, passing on the left? You can't just yell "Left" and expect the person to know what you are talking about. You have to let your intentions be known with a "Passing on your left", "coming around on your left" or at the minimum "On your left".