Back pain?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by fongster, Apr 7, 2012.

1. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I get some now and then during a ride and usually during a sustained climb after about 6-7 miles into a ride. It's that discomfort (burning muscle pain) in my lower back that gets me, not my legs giving out. What is up and how to fix it? I'm due to have Steve at The Path transfer my road bike numbers to my mtb. Maybe that'll help.

2. Joalst1

Joalst1 Member

machinist
    I had the same complaints as well (along with sore knees) until i got a fit. I just had steve fit me to my hardtail two weeks ago and ive been noticeably more comfortable. Definitely recommend it!

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    For me getting out of the saddle makes in go away. The Path setup my first bike and I could not go uphill for more than 10 minute before the pain started. I now ride in a very upright position and the pain does not start until after a hour of climbing. My bike setup would look very strange on a road bike.

Dean

4. strobe

strobe resident noob

I'm gong to get a fit for just this reason. Since i ride my SS more than anything and stand on most climbs, i'm starting to wonder if i am pulling back and trying to arch backwards. This would explain why those muscles are burning. Once it starts hurting, the only thing i can do is dismount for a bit and stretch. Seems to hurt less when i can keep my back straight. Hard to do with my disc bulge issues, though.

5. vandyketom

vandyketom New Member

I set my bikes up that way also due to the back and it seems to serve me well.

6. Joalst1

Joalst1 Member

machinist
    I would definitely get a fit if i was in your position. Having to dismount due to back pain would discourage me from riding my SS yet alone riding anything. Get a fit! Well worth the money. Just be prepared to spend the extra money on top of the $120 if you need a different size stem or saddle

Jordan