Road Ride Report Angeles Crest to Azusa Canyon

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by MTBMaven, Aug 30, 2008.

1. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I had yesterday off from work and went for a big mountain ride. I started from Pasadena near Old Pasadena. Snaked by way past the Rose Bowl, through La Canada/Flintridge, an onto Angeles Crest. I stopped briefly at Clear Creek and Red Box for water and a few bites of food. I rolled into Newcombs Ranch in 3 hours 20 minutes from my doorstep.

I eat a great breakfast sandwich with fried egg, ham, and swiss cheese. I also got a Craftsman Heavenly Heffe to wash it all down. :beer:

At this point I had a decision, head back the way I came or continue on to Azusa Canyon (hwy 39). My thinking was if I go back I will have to ride up a few sections and wasn't looking forward to that. I figured Cloudburst Summit was just a short ways up the road and I had done most of the climbing already. Plus I wanted to see some new territory.

I decided to push on along Angeles Crest. Turns out Cloudburst is a good bit further than I thought and at least 1,500 feet higher in elevation. After Cloudburst there was a nice descent but still some rollers before getting to the tunnels and Azusa Canyon.

The gated section of Azusa can is quite long now but the section that has been closed for decades is totally rideable but I wouldn't go too fast as there is chip seal and potholes everywhere. As I descended I could feel the temperatures rising. The short climbs as at the bottom of Azusa Canyon were killing me. I had 70 miles under my belt and some 7,000 feet of climbing.

I stopped at a licquor store in Azusa for a Snikers bar and big ice creme snadwich. Dang that was good. From Azusa it was another 20 some miles home along mostly flat or slight downhill streets. The ride back was made most unpleasant due to a headwind all the way home.

Stats for the ride:
    Distance: 91 miles
    Ride time: 7 hours to the minute
    Total ascent: 7,792'
    Calories burned: 6,000

I will not be doing this ride again next weekend but will definately do it again. It is so beautiful up there. I hear from a motorcyclist that the road is passable all the way through to Wrightwood but not open to cars. That might be a fun ride too.

2. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Wow, that's a lot of miles and ascending but what an awesome route for a road ride. I see roadie's going up and down ACH and to me, that seems more frightening then riding any dirt. No shoulder with cars flying by doing 60. Not very comforting. I'm sure once you passed Clear Creek & the Mt. Wilson turn-off, automobile traffic decreased dramatically. Nice job, you machine! :wave:

3. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Joe,

You know riding up ACH is not as bad as it seems. I was very nervous to ride it for a long time. Going on a Friday certainly helps cut down on traffic, as does going early on Sunday. But really there is more shoulder than you think. It really only becomes apparent when you are on the bike. When driving it seems impossible. I was told by a motorcyclist the BikePlanet Super Blinky I clip to my helmet is very visible and helps be seen even in the brightness of the day.

4. 53-12

53-12 by design

Landscape Architecture
    Sounds like a great ride; when I lived in Pas. and then Alhambra, Azusa Canyon to Crystal Lake was my favorite route. I also rode the Crest a lot, but never even thought of connecting the two. Kudos. Alright, now I'm off to Marshall Canyon.

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Stats for the ride:
    Distance: 91 miles
    Ride time: 7 hours to the minute
    Total ascent: 7,792'
    Calories burned: 6,000
    Holy smokes. I've created a monster!

Dood, those are some impressive numbers. I'd have loved to have done that ride.

Next week is Amtrak are you going?

6. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Sorry dude next week I will be hiking in the Sierra. We are attempting Ritter and hopefully Banner. The peaks are near Mammoth out of Agnew Meadows. It will be my first trip in a long time where I will need crampons and an ice ax!

7. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]
    Killin it! You go Brian...

Oh, I found an old pic of you.

8. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    Way'da go. I love riding up Angeles Crest. I've only been up to Mt. Wilson, that has a great view from the top as well. I need to try your ride sometime. I road up to Chantry flats yesterday. Fun, but short.

9. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Brian, I take my mountain bike up from the lower gate on Highway 39 and ride Bear Canyon Trail. Nice trail kinda of reminds me of San Juan until the top. Down the other side is the most remote trail in the San Gabs.

Dean

10. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    I saw that trailhead and thought of you. I remember your post of that ride. I have seen it on the topo before but never ridden it.

11. kanga

kanga Active Member

Makes me want to get a new road bike even more! Soon I'll be able to join you on one of these epics RR's.

12. stjunkie

stjunkie New Member

So did you take the new bike? If so how do you like it for long rides?

13. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Yeah I took the new bike and it did really well. Still feel like I need to adjust my saddle a bit but other than that things are working great.

14. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    Kudos! you are honed. I wish I were young and kidless again (sigh)

I aspire to doing that ride- or doing the reverse version (less water on the ascent tho.. ). But I'd bet I am looking at 9 hours + ride time vs your 7.

And YES- ACH is rideable over Dawson Saddle to Wrightwood. The road is in mint condition; I was there 3 weeks ago. Actually, that section of ACH is scheduled to re-open to vehicles in a month. which will suck hard because there will be way more touron traffic. It is nice how little traffic there is on ACH past Cleer Creek and alas that will change some...

15. pshloss

pshloss New Member

Nice! It sounds like a great loop. Anybody know the stats just to go up Hwy 39 from Azusa to ACH and back? I do the San Gabriel River a lot because I leave near Seal Beach and I've thought of extending it up to the crest. Might have to start closer to the base of the mountain, though.

16. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    That is a good question. You can map it pretty easily on bikely.com. Great sight. You should check it out.

17. pshloss

pshloss New Member

Bikely is pretty cool. It's basically Google Maps that can be shared. Good for distance but I don't see a vertical estimate. Anyway, I mapped Azusa to Angeles Crest and it was 28 miles up. Not sure of the vertical.

18. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    In Bikely once you have created your route hover over the Show menu. This drop down a menu where you can create an elevation profile.

Additionally if you add notes to the Now In text line you ca create a Cue Sheet.

19. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    i am sort of a softie so, this summer - on those rare days i want to road bike ride (vs mt bike) i often drive past the car choked portion of ACH, and road ride from clear creek, red box, charleton, or chilao (depending on time and temperature). i really like starting in the pine trees (charleton or chilao) - tho the last 10 weeks or so I've noticed those damn flies buzzing my face while climbingg getting worse and worse.

20. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Starting at Clear Creek or Red Box is a great idea. I might do that sometime as well. This would allow me to push further along the ACH. I doubt I can get out there before the road opens but that's ok. I would be nice to ride from Clear Creak or Red Box to Wrightwood and back. See some new territory.