A Little GMR in High Def

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Mr. Beanz, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

Exactly!.....You did that ride, nice! :clap:

2. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

So sorry to hear the news. I remember meeting him at Sunset beach and telling him about a bike forums ride.
    life is short enjoy it.

I'll join you for a GMR ride...after it warms a little. Bet you never thought you'd hear me say that!
    I've been riding Mtb 90% of the time now that trails are outside my door, climbing GMR going to be a challenge.

3. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

Cool! MTB really improves climbing on the roadie. I'll be a piece of cake for you!

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Not the case......never have a bad ride. All rides are good rides.......even the ride I broke my ankle on was still a great ride.

SART is just not enjoyable.......GMR on the other hand is a great ride......just need to do it more often.

5. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

So the thousands of riders I see on SART are out there cause it is not enjoyable, ok gotcha, makes sense now!

6. zerogravity

zerogravity (R.I.P.) Lets Ride!!!!

Graphic Designer, Track owner
    Home Page:
    Yeah..i ended up getting hooked here in the dirt so STR became my home. I want to get a Road bike now though..ill hit you up when i do. Take it easy man!

7. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

Cool! I can do dirt lots but the trail near me is PACKED with people now. No parking but they just enlarged the lot so hopefully I get up to Potato Mtn more often now. Dirt is good! :D

8. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    SART is an easy ride. There is no vehicle traffic (except for service vehicles which drive really slow). It is fun riding SART when you are cruising it with a friend. It is a great ride, however, it is a boring ride, especially compared all the nice rides we have in SoCal (GMR, Palomar, Idyllwild, Big Bear, etc...). I love riding SART, with friends. Riding it by myself, drives me crazy. I think that is what mtnbikej is referring to.

9. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I LOVE all riding and SART is one of my favorites but it can only be done (by me) at a fast pace tempo, otherwise it could become monotomus but I'd still ride it. We did the dirt version of GMR (Monroe Truck Trail) yesterday and it was great even though I managed to crash a few times.

10. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    As I lay here in bed with a hand that recently had a surgery, I was wishing that was me in the video. mountain biking is my first love but carving an S turn on a road bike, one after another, is a feeling of pure joy to me! Thanks! Can't wait to get out there again.

11. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I grew up in Downey, so I was weaned on the river trails. Great way to get from the mountains to the beach without red lights, and ride a steady pace. I used to do a loop where I rode out Telegraph Road to Imperial Hwy, took SART to PCH to SGRT, then back to Downey. It was super fun and you could almost have tailwinds the whole way if you timed it right. I liked hitting the mile markers on SART at 3 minute intervals, and it's hard for me to be bored when I'm at LT on LSD. :)

12. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

The descent from GMR/GRR down the backside down East Fork is the funnest road descent I've ever done. Although, I do have to admit I almost killed myself doing it once--I wandered over the line on the descent, as did a car coming up... Obviously, I was able to avoid the collision... It will be fun to do it again, but more carefully. The descent down GMR/GRR is great because you usually have a lot of visibility of what's coming up--cars, climbing riders, etc. There are some areas with blind corners, but I don't remember there being very many--probably just towards the end with the steeper switchbacks.

I ride dirt mostly, but enjoy road riding when I do it. The lightness and stiffness of the bike, keeping up a consistent and efficient cadence. And it seems to give me more power and endurance when I hit the dirt again--like I have another gear.

13. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Riding (or driving), north up to the top of GMR, about a 1/4 mi. past the county work shed, is a large turnout. That's 2n16 heading down 7-1/4mi. down to the bottom of GMR. You really can,t miss it. As you look at the turnout you'll see an iron, forest service type gate. Go around the gate and ride. Funny thing is I see a lot of mtb'rs climbing the pavement on mtb's rather then riding up on dirt. When I ask them why, I'm usually told that they don't like the hard dirt climb. Huh? I guess the 14mi. of pavement is easier then 7 1/4mi. of dirt. I've rode both and didn't find one any easier then the other. Good report beanz, but one last thing. As a once a week rider on Monroe I can see all the cars and cycles going up and down GMR. There's more than you think. Night time is the worst time for the pocketrockets, especially in summer. There's also boarders and lugers who also take GMR down. Cops make their usual appearance, give out a few tickets to the boarders for crossing the double yellow line, then leave. You can almost set your watch by them. -Lloyd :wave:

14. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks Mr. Beanz, for bringing up some good memories. Any plans for a Crystal Lake climb and video?

15. kioti

kioti Active Member

That's a great descent, but a fun climb, too! Up San Gabriel Canyon and East Fork, down GMR and back on Sierra Madre is a great loop. I like climbing East Fork because its narrow and things roll by quickly, so it makes me feel faster! And the views from GMR back down to the dam make you realize how much you've really climbed.

PS: I like riding it in that direction because San Gabriel Canyon can have headwinds on the descent and I have yet to figure out how to form a one-man echelon.

16. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

Exactly, SART is what you make it! When I rid with Gina, we have a great time. I meet lots of riders and friends. If I ride alone, I will push myself. It's what you make it and I can do the same on GMR. ;)

Just like riding MTB vs ROAD. I have a few buddies that say anything on a roadie is boring, I think it's them personally. :D

17. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

Oh bummer! Glad to be of service! :D

18. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

Nice post!

But 14 Miles? The climb to the shack is only 8 miles from the gate, maybe 8 1/4 to the dirt lot.

I did ride my MTB up a coule of times but that was looking for rain. Once I got snow.:D

19. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

I did some a couple years back but they have since gone. But I should be doing some in a month or two. I need to hit those road to get back into shape.:D

Up to Dawson's Saddle is nice...but COLD...and we did it in October! #-o

[​IMG]

20. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Member

Yeah, what's up with that:D

I myself like to climb Big GMR then descend little GMR (as I know it, to east frok) then climb straight back up.