66 ATA vs. Totem 2-Step

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TCB, May 8, 2008.

1. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I’m thinking of replacing my 66 RC3 fork on my Highline with a lighter fork, the RC3 works great and is buttery smooth but it’s just to heavy for climbing, I also want to be able to adjust the travel, the two fork I’m looking at are the Totem 2-Step and the 66 ATA, (below are the spec’s)
    My question is which fork should I get and what other fork should I be looking at in the 180mm travel rang.

Rock Shox Totem 2-Step
    Travel 180mm to 135mm
    Weight 2857g (6.3 lbs)
    Air Spring
    Stanchions 40mm 7000 Alloy
    QR Maxle
    Steerer Tube Aluminum 1.5
    Price $1000.00

Marzocchi 66 ATA
    Travel 180mm to 140mm
    Weight 2.900 g (6.39 lbs)
    Air Spring
    Stanchions 38mm Nickel Coated Alloy
    QR Marz Axle
    Steerer Tube Aluminum 1.5
    Price $1000.00

2. dutch

dutch New Member

Jax Bicycle Center Irvine, client advisor
    From what I've seen/heard, you probably can't go wrong with either. If you can find either as an OEM take off, though, that's where the deal's gonna be.

3. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

if you can stay away from marz, I would, I have had bad experiences with a few different marz forks, plus the totem's 40mm look awsome

4. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    I am the exact opposite of the above post. I have a 888 ATA and I love it. Very nice fork. I would like to get the 66 for my bullit sometime. Either fork is going to be good, I just prefer the Marzocchi forks....

my .02 cents

:bang:

5. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

differnt storkes i guess all the marz I have delt with have had issues the wost being the last two I have used had major top out and instability issues

6. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I've had the same with my 888 RCV.

I would go with the Totem, may be running one on my Demo 8 soon.

7. dutch

dutch New Member

Jax Bicycle Center Irvine, client advisor
    hopefully the totem/66 runners will be chiming in when normal people are awake...

8. AlphaMog

AlphaMog Member

I have the 08 66ATA and it's been fine for the most part but its not without it's annoyances. I don't particularly like the maxle, the paint chips easily, the wind down issue still exists but fortunately tightening the set screws elleviates the problem. Aside from that the fork handles great, good adjustments, plush and the height adjustment is nice to have.

I haven't ridden the 2 step but i considered it when I was shopping around but was told to stay away from it from several people due to reliability issues. The talas 36 could be an option but it's not 180mm. Also... if you go with the 66ATA, you should be able to get them for well under 1K, more like 800 or even less.

9. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    i think marz quality sucks azz badly nowadays. shame cuz i used to love em. 2007 was bad enough and with changes in mfctrng i would definitely stay away from them. their customer service sucks...their "fixes" per warranty claims etc. may or may not work as they are not consistent in addressing issues.

I had the 66 ATA and cannot recommend it. Marz couldnt fix it right so i sent it to renegade from mtbr and at least he could fix it. still...the ATA cartridge inherently is flawed. The bottom-out PAR chamber is a POS...it effectively only can be trusted for the given travel at which you set the pressure and test the fork. When you change travel the PAR falls apart...its an inherent flaw such that with lower volumes (ie, reduced travel) the effectiveness may go all the way to nil at the lower travel setting. This may be ok if you ONLY use lower travel when climbing but how lame to have to worry about easily bottoming the fork just cuz you reduced the travel....

i HATED the 3 air chamber setting....didnt get full travel.....will never get a marz again. but, this is just one persons experience.

while i have not owned a 2-step, i know they have had bad issues as well. it was explained to me as to why the 2-step but not the solo/air has issues but it sounded lame indeed. both people abandoned their 2-steps and went to coil; the ONLY choice for anything but a XC fork IMHO. Air forks are ghey

if you HAVE to have one of the 2 i would get the rockshox. Having said that, i think its a horrible move to go to either one.

10. mouse jockey

mouse jockey i can't type the letter s

molecular researcher

Have to agree with Fo here Greg. (did I just say that :-s :wave:) I wouldn't go with an air fork on your coil rig. How heavy is the Totem Coil?

EDIT: What do you have a Spot or an RFX other than the HL. Make HL the DH / FR shuttle rig and make the other light. yea, I know mo money.....BTW do you want to head east today / late afternoon and have a beer and a ride?

11. dubl_xl

dubl_xl I'd rather go down

Electrician
  12. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    I agree with mouse jockey

13. AlphaMog

AlphaMog Member

Fo, what year was your ATA?

14. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    07 which frankly, i would trust more than an 08

15. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Agree

it seems you are starting to agree with more people these days

Attached Files:

16. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    mouse jockey is pretty dreamy actually

however, i will ride a Turner again before I agree with your sorry arse, b!tch!

17. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I can not comment on the Totem except that they are not Team Sanchez approved...meaning that they did not hold up to the Utah abuse they put forks thought. I am a little curious why replace RC3 that you say is great. The Highline is already a heavy framed bike.

The problems with Zoke are the reason that I have keep my 2006 Zoke forks, they seem to have got it right that year. Maybe look to buy something like a 06 66SL on line, I bought one for $200 a few months ago and it has been a great fork accept it does not have on the fly travel adjust.

Dean

18. mullarks

mullarks New Member

Investment Research
    I have no experience with the 66 but I do have a Totem Coil on my Socom and it has been great. No issues in 5 months of riding and great performance. And as others have mentioned I have heard Rockshox has had some really serious issues with the 2-step technology.

19. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Based on what I have seen coils still reign when travel is more than six inches. I like the idea of the 2-step much more than winding down a coil but dread the idea of working on it constantly far more. For the money just get the domain.

20. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I’m riding with Heidi today, although if you were to put on a wig and get implants I might conceder riding with you today. I will try to call or email you next week to ride.

I sold the 5 Spot and now I have a 07 RFX and your right I will keep the Coil fork.