Road Ride Report 36 degrees...but who's counting

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Margaritaman, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    With both mtn bikes still down for the count for parts we were back on the road bike this weekend. No complaints but I really need to mix it up a bit. Of course with a week's worth of rain coming I suspect no one will be mtn biking any time soon.
    Started at my buddy's house near Costco in Glendora. Up GMR (again) at a wicked pace (not my choice) but it kept me warm. It got cool at times but I had no idea what was to come.
    Up we went passing quite a few riders on the way down who were apparently more motivated when it came to starting early. Roads were pretty moist and me lacking the skill and courage took it real easy on the downs.
    Right on Glendora Ridge Road kept going, and going, and going, until about 200 yards before cow saddle we saw some awesome deer kill. Looked like a mtn lion got it and every other animal finished it off. Complete bloody skeleton except for the ass end. I would have shot a pic but that would have meant stopping and getting cold, besides a stop was already in the works for the saddle.
    Four tries and I finally got my fingers to turn on the phone and shoot a pic of each of us. 36 damn degrees and wind to boot. I HATE BEING COLD!
    Fire station to get water (why I don't know). The first downhill at 45mph and I was thinking WTF am I doing. Needless to say I slowed down. Still COLD and the fingers were having difficulty squeezing the brakes.
    Headed back West at what felt like balmy temps. Got back and two cups of coffee later my feet could be felt and it was safe to drive.
    Can I have early Fall, Spring, or Summer back please?
    [​IMG]

2. davidB

davidB Active Member

Totally know how you feel. I headed up to Mt Wilson on Saturday and froze my ass off at 6k+ ft with fingerless gloves and no jacket. I was shivering for a good hour all the way down and well into my drive home. Cool riding through the clouds though right?

3. Margaritaman

Sales
    LOL! I kept thinking about your RR. And I "sort of" dressed for it. My fingers were so cold they hurt.
    Believe it or not we never went through the clouds. Below, above, and around for sure.

4. Brandy

Brandy New Member

It was cold up there today! The kids and I were up near the ski lifts overnight and woke up to snow on the car. We hiked San Antonio Falls and froze our butts off...I can only imagine how cold you were on the descent!

5. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

Nice profile:-k

How did those wheels climb?

6. Margaritaman

Sales
    I'm going to completely ignore that first comment. HED aero wheels stayed home in favor of saving a pound and unpredictable winds.