29er Tire Combos/Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BrewMaster, Feb 18, 2008.

1. El Rolo

El Rolo its just ahead

Anyone try the new Onza tires? I used to dig the old porcupine tires back in the day.

2. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Some feedback on the Kenda Slant Six 29ers. These are really fast tires for hard pack. They're great on the road, and considering I ride ~ five miles to most my trailheads, they are great for that. No problems at all mounting tubeless. On the slick soft stuff on top of hardpack that compromises most of the trails around SoCal, they do slip out a bit. Their profile is like a C and very round. The side knobs don't get a lot of traction. And they wear REALLY fast IMHO. So fast tires, middling traction, wear fast. I picked mine up at Jenson which seems to consistently have the best price on them.

3. Atekk920

Atekk920 New Member

So i was going to start a new thread but found this one!!

tires.......who knew!?

i have NO IDEA what to even begin looking for as far as tires go. When i built up my 29er AM hardtail, i simply swapped over my WTB 2.2 Wolverines from my XC bike and they seem fair enough. But they are wearing thin and require new sealant about 1 time a month. So I'm on the hunt - but the more I look the more i realize i don't know JACK! lol

can anyone spare some time to go over the basics? at this point i cant even make sense of anyone's website

whats the difference between tough, light, fast, comp, and TCS?
    does it really make that much of a difference what tires i ride, as long as they arent slicks?
    whats the deal with riding different tires on front and rear?
    are there any brands out there to avoid?
    is there an really big difference in different tires sizes and compounds (will i get crappy handling, slow acceleration, a more\less plush ride? based upon these differences)

I'm liking the WTB Vigalante 2.3 but its just cause i like the "fat tire" look and the tread seems tough lol.....something tells me there is better criteria to choose a tire by than "they look cool"

Thanks everyone!

4. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    I like Nevgal's in front, they have big lugs and the profile is very round. The round profile blows screed out of my way, the heavy lugs hold up against the lava. On the rear I use anything narrow (2.1) with paddles. Paddles give a pretty square profile. I wear the rear down to a stubble to when they almost look like slicks, then change them to a new set of heavy paddles.
    happy screed strewn rubble trails

BTW 35 psig is death to me, I will strike large bedrock and the tire may decide to grab instead of roll, sending me forward with the bike in tow, been there done that. 45-55 or die.

BTW II: it is dam scary watching the front grab a rock and not roll over it, you see it real time in S-L-O-W motion. This allows you to see and comprehend the consequences of under inflation well before the wound is inflicted. A terrible price will be paid when you finally come to rest. You be like: come on this is Bull Schist, WTF, OK here we go, get out the landing gear...garble garble, garble.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  5. Atekk920

Atekk920 New Member

Thanks for the advice - I have been looking at the "Magic Mary" and the "procore" tubeless system.....any experience with those? Hearing major good and bad about the procore tubeless setup

General opinion is that MM is the best tire around if your looking for something that performs well on all terrain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that certain Tubeless Ready tires don't play well with certain rims/wheels.

7. Atekk920

Atekk920 New Member

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like I have some reading materials to go through, and ultimately - it will be trial and error that helps me find the right new tire. Really appreciate being able to ask these questions with out getting any flak or trolls.

mtnbikej likes this.
  8. tim.sanders.9480

tim.sanders.9480 New Member

I've run:

wtb wolverines, 2.2. I loved those tires, they wore well and gripped surprisingly well in more than just xc terrain.

Wtb Bronson 2.2s non TCS tread, I loved how agressive the tires are, I beat the hell out of them in mammoth this past summer and they kept asking for more, but not the greatest for asphalt lol...

Currently I'm on schawlb rapid robs, 2.25. I don't like them at all. They roll really fast, but it seems like they slide out from under me, especially on climbs...

My choice if it wasn't obvious was/is the Bronsons lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

9. Atekk920

Atekk920 New Member

I have the same issue with my Wolverines, I think in my case it's an air pressure issue. I usually ride a little on the hard side since I'm a heavy guy (200+lbs). Usually ride at around 25/30lbs tubeless. And they always want to slide out on corners, especially up front