2013 VQ/CC thread(merged)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by 9er, Oct 1, 2012.

1. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Frankly, I think they should have a "voluntary return" process for entries that riders know they just cant use (injury, illness, obligation, moving, etc.). No refund or anything, but just to give them back to the herd. Then offer a second sell date for any returned tickets, like Jan 1 or something.

No ticket scalping, more $ for the charities, relatively little extra work to implement, more riders participate, etc.

2. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

After doing VQ the last 4 times, gonna 'change gears' this year and try the Coup on a singlespeed. I'm a guy who likes to sit and spin a high cadence, so this'll be a new challenge for me. Besides, just got the new Raijin built up! Looking forward to it. See you all out there training on the Pain Divide!

3. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Awwwweeee....I didn't get in. Then again it's hard to get in when I didn't even try. :lol:

This year I haven't been on the bike hardly at all so this time I'll just cheer everyone on with with fog horn.:wave:

Who do I talk to to volunteer? I can even be one of the SAG wagon.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Nope, because you will get the people who feel entitled that since they paid, it is their spot, and at the last minute will decide to do the event....then since we already resolve their spot, we go over our permitted number.

Yes, we do have a pretty consistent % of DNS.....but there is always the chance that if we over sell the event to make up for the DNS's.....it will be the one year that everyone shows up, again puttin over our permitted #.

5. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    That sounds like a return of the famous Chinese Street Tacos!

6. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    I have a feeling Jason is going to be busy repeating himself for the next six months.......just sayin'

7. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Party on the pain divide? This could be fun.

8. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    moo shoo pork taco's????? droool...:wave:

or some cha shu burrito would be awesome as well....

9. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    Quick question, when signing up for the Coup you are asked what type of bike you will be riding; are you stuck with your choice or can you participate on a different type other than what you designated?

10. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    The event its self (VQ) is really a lot of fun (except for maybe the cramping)... it's all that training on Paine Divide that sucks! Oh well... time is getting short....and to paraphrase Shakespear " once more unto the VQ breech, dear friends... once more..."

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Nope......said what needed to be said. Can't help it if people can't grasp the concept.

12. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Hummmm.......that could be good actually.:-k And some Qingtao would wash that down really good too.:beer:

Kenny are you in for VQ this year again? I might have some moo shoo pork tacos for you at 4 corners, WHT or Holy Jim! On second thought only trabuco so you'll have to make VQ to eat them. :lol:

13. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

rumor is dw is gonna be bartending this event. :drunk:

14. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    You can ride whatever bike you like. However, if you signed up as a singlespeed/rigid rider, you will be listed that way on the results that are posted after the rac....I mean, event.

Having done the CC on a rigid SS and the VQ on a SS, it was nice to compare my times against other SSers.

15. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    Yup, I'm in for the VQ humiliation again.... moo shoo pork tacos as a carrot to chase up WHT would be awesome!

16. strobe

strobe resident noob

I guess i will be having to do these training rides mostly alone. If anyone is doing training rides Sunday-Tuesdays, please let me know. 1st time and i want to be prepared.

17. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

I'm sure you already know the answer to this, if not NO!
    :wave:

Like J said before, we did transfers but it became a nightmare. Even when jeff^d helped out by managing the waiting list, it still took one of our admins to make it go through. The biggest issues were duplicate entries, people on wait list not answering their emails, PMs, voice mails, people buying spots that didn't exist, application/waivers not sent in on time so when it's time get the packets ready, their name didn't get in the database and they don't have a packet on pick up day.

Yup I also managed a wait list years back. They get on a wait list, get a spot from someone they know and never had the courtesy to notify us that they got a spot so we can remove their name from that list. Many of those people are on this message board.

There are glitches all the time. Read some of the post on this thread to see how it may have screwed some from getting in because of a glitch/server error. Do we need to deal with this days before the event? Besides, I don't know any other event that does that, if there is, good for them.

Some how I still would get a ton of emails and PMs from that. No thanks!
    Even with the "no refund, no tranfer" policy in place, I bet any of you your bike that I'll still get an email/PM about those. Anyone?

Easy for many to suggest how we should run our event cause "frankly" none of you have to deal with it except read the info about the event you signed up to do(start times, cutoffs, aid stations, where to park.., etc). Somehow even that seems to get screwed up because people simply don't follow instructions or read the info that's provided to them.

It's like asking the airlines they should waive the baggage fee or maybe only charge if that bag goes over a certain size/weight. Or a hotel/resort not to charge you for canceling your reservation at the last minute because you had a family emergency even though the hotel/resort or even airline can still book those to someone else. I'm sure it's just take a few key strokes on the computer.., right?

Sorry to be so harsh about this, but we go through this same BS every year. To be honest, if people followed the transfer guidelines that we had in place, answer the emails that was sent in timely manner instead of never, not buy a spot thinking they "may" do the event so they buy a spot knowing they can sell it later if they didn't get enough training in and some selling it for more than they paid, we'd still be doing transfers. Isn't anyone happy that you don't have to do this registration at midnight anymore? If you want, we can put that back in place as well. :lol:

Just in case:
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/racing-training/31753-vq-cc-thread-questions-answers-tips.html

18. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Sundays can happen too....if you want to start early am I am in!

19. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Well put Gene. The consequences of all the alternatives (with the technology and associated relations nightmares) is that the event goes away. Nobody wants that. No matter how frustrated we may be that we didn't get in.

Be thankful for what we have access to...a permitted timed event in an area where there a lot of people who will not be able to ride the event that will shuttle support for their friends, legally maintain the trails we all enjoy during the rest of the year, and not have to donate $$$$$$ just for the right to enter a freakin' lottery to see if you can ride the event.

I didn't make it into either CC/VQ the first few times I tried, and have gotten lucky the past 2 years getting into CC.

And for those who would consider poaching, that would also result in violating the permit #. While the trails aren't closed that day, having a group show up and ride the same route on the same day, trailing the start by an hour or two...well, search the threads in past years for how that is viewed. Supporters and volunteers are always welcome...just adhere to the rules.

Thanks Warrior's Society, for an event that is known well beyond Southern California and whose popularity is an indication of the health of the MTB community.

20. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Why does everyone want to pay to do this? These trails are open all the time. They are very close to a huge metropolitan area. You can drive out to blackstar and do the CC or VQ route any day you want.

It isn't a race or anything. So, just go out and ride it. Don't waste your money!!!!

Or...

You can try and get in so that your name can show up on some list online relative to your peers' times. That's what I did.

In for the VQ for my officially 3rd time, unofficially 2nd time. I had to disgracefully get a DNS last year becase my broken collar bone hadn't healed. Hoping to make up for that, plus more, in 2013.