2009 Vision Quest and Counting Coup Update(merged)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Two Dogs, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Two Dogs

Two Dogs New Member

To all our Vision Quest Participants:

This update will give you the information you need for the 2009 Vision Quest and Counting Coup Events.

WEATHER:

So far the long-range weather forecast for the day of the event (Saturday, March 7th) is calling for sunshine with high temps in low 60’s. There currently is 12 to 18 inches of snow on portions of the course above 4,500 feet and snow and ice on the back side of Saddleback Peak. A chance of showers is predicted next week before the event. These will be warm storms and most likely will wash off some of the snow currently at the higher elevations.

COURSE CONDITIONS:

Due to the highly technical nature of the course, with fire roads and trails bordering on steep slopes and cliffs, we highly recommend that all participants purchase a compact “space blanket” and whistle in case you suffer a crash off trail. The space blanket will provide warmth and the whistle will help us locate you (your voice will not carry like a whistle).

Remember the fire roads and trails are still open to vehicles and hikers during the event. Control your speed on the Holy Jim and Trabuco Canyon Trails and ride down in a safe manner. Hikers and bikers will be on this trail and you will be responsible for harm caused to yourself and others. Course Marshals will penalize unsafe riders.

The Silverado Motorway (the downhill trail before Aid Station I) is very technical and has two sections that are very narrow near the bottom of the trail. Also near the bottom are two metal barriers that are installed to keep motor vehicles off the trail.

The water crossings on Maples Springs Road and Trabuco Creek Road can be very slippery. Use caution when traversing these crossings.

Upper Holy Jim has some rutting so use caution and walk your bike if necessary.

For Vision Quest participants once you pass Aid Station two and start up the Trabuco Creek Trail, and when you are on the final leg back on this trail, watch for cross traffic and use caution.

The Trabuco Trail, the last trail down from the Main Divide on you way to the finish, has a highly technical shale section next to steep slopes/cliff. Use extreme caution.

CUT-OFF TIMES:

The first cut off time is 9.30 a.m. at the bottom of the Silverado Trail and Maple Springs at Aid Station 1. The second cutoff time is 11:30 a.m. at the intersection of Maples Springs Road and the Main Divide. The third cutoff time for Vision Quest Participants is 12:00 p.m. at the bottom of Holy Jim Trail at Aid Station #2 for Vision Quest participants.

If you do not make the cut off times your number plate will be removed (you can retrieve it at the end of the event). Further more, if you do not make the cutoff times and refuse to return to the staging area you have violated the terms of your participation and the Warrior’s Society will no longer responsible for your safety. Your emergency contact will be called and notified that they will be assuming all responsibility your safety. We are required by the Forest Service to have all participants off the mountain by sunset and these cutoff times allow us to mount a search and rescue operation if a rider is injured on the last part of the course before the sun sets.

VISION QUEST PARTICPANTS AID STATION II BAGS:

If you want to bring your own supplies to have at Aid Station 2, there will be a drop off at the Warrior Trailer at the start of the event. We must be able to throw way any left over contents and the bag they are in. All bags will be thrown away after the event. No Aid Station bags, disposable or not, will be taken to Aid Station 1. Water, E2 Hydro, Hammer gel and bars, Bananas and oranges will be provided at each Aid Station.

REGISTERED RIDERS PRE-EVENT PACKET PICKUP:

Those registered for the event may pick up their packet (number plate, event t-shirt, etc.) at Switchback Cyclery in Orange from Saturday February 28th through Friday March 6th. Switchback Cyclery is located at 3436 E. Chapman Avenue, Orange Calif. 92869 (on the southeast corner of Chapman and Prospect one mile +- east of the 55 Freeway).

http://www.switchbackcyclery.com/

You will also be checking in before you line up for the start at a designated spot the morning of the event. You must check in the morning of the event so we know who is and is not on the trail.

Registered riders may also pick up their packet the day of the event at the start from 4:30 am to 5:00 a.m. – but we highly recommend you pick up your packets at Switchback to save time.

Beginning ceremonies will start at 5:15am at the Black Star Gate.

The start will commence at 5:30 a.m. sharp whether you are there or not.

ONCE YOU FINISH THE EVENT:

Once you finish you will be awarded with the Vision Quest participants will recieve a finishing feather, a 4-inch feather sticker for your car and a 2-inch feather sticker for your helmet at the finish line. Counting Coup participant will recieve a non-beaded finishing feather. At the finish line area our club photographer John Early will be taking a finishing portrait of Vision Quest Participants that will be provided to them for free via our web site after the event.

If you have family that wants to wait for you at the finish line PLEASE HAVE THEM PARK AT O’NEILL AND RIDE OR WALK TO THE FINISH LINE. Parking is limited and we have had a tremendous amount of problems with too many vehicles blocking the road.

There will be a shuttle running from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm from O’Neill Park to the start at Black Star for those that left their cars there in the morning.

Don’t forget to bring a beach chair for use after the event. There are picnic benches provided but a beach chair is more comfortable. The park also has showers.
    If you plan on camping out at O’Neill Park the fee is $15.00 dollars a night and are available by reservation (which we suggest you make ASAP before they sell out if they aren’t sold out already). The day use fees at the park where we are staging at are $5.00. For more information on O’Neill Park see their web site at:

http://www.ocparks.com/oneillpark/

No alcohol allowed.

No Camping is allowed on Black Star Canyon Road.

PARKING ON THE ROAD IS NOT ALLOWED AFTER SUNSET AND YOU WILL BE CITED AND ASKED TO LEAVE BY THE SHERIFF OR HIGHWAY PATROL.

Check our web site at:

http://www.warriorssociety.org/voices/

Next week for any event updates.

2. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    Really!!?? :eek:

3. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    One thing I noted when reading...mylar bag are warmer than mylar blankets. If people are going to purchase something like this you might want to consider a bag versus blanket.

I'm glad the Warrior Society has recommended people bring one of these. A mylar bag/blanket weighs just a few ounces and cost just a few dollars, yet could save your life in an emergency.

4. jbh65

jbh65 Member

as of last sunday the snow was deep in spots from 1/2 mile to the peak and 1/2 mile down the backside

5. Phishin Paul

Phishin Paul Team Hardcore Cornbread

In 2006 I started late by about 3 minutes. You miss the early congestion which is not all bad. A 10 minute late start is a lot of time lost in my opinion. I seem to remember though that Manny started late last year I think? He seemed to do alright :).

If you feel you need every minute make sure you line up about 5:15 because they will start at 530 sharp. You get a chance to talk to the people you will be riding with all day. Good luck and have fun.

6. Impy

Impy Active Member

As of yesterday there is still significant snow on the back....i'll post pix later

7. Elisheva

Elisheva New Member

counterterrorism
    Where exactly is Aid Station #2?

8. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Probably the bottom of HJ. It's mainly for the VQ riders.

9. Elisheva

Elisheva New Member

counterterrorism
    Relatively close to the top of LHJ?

10. Impy

Impy Active Member

No, all the way at the bottom, where it intersects with Trabuco

11. CPATCRASH

I think it is in the parking area at the bottom of the trail. It was the last few years anyway.

12. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Bottom of LHJ - basically the trailhead parking lot, just before the dirt road to the finish line.

13. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    If you're running CC, you don't even stop there at aid #2. B/c you're hauling azz to the finish. But the food and the orange juice looked really good.

14. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    One suggestion to those putting on the event. I was standing taking pictures of all the finishers last years and noticing the feather hand off was rather uncontrollable. Can I suggest you do not hand the feathers and stickers off until they are asked to shoot their picture with John? Maybe you can give John the stuff or something can be assigned next to John to do this? When people crossed the line the last thing they wanted to do was have to carry something and many of them dropped their features, didnt pick them up, etc...

Just a suggestion. Maybe say something like "Please proceed to the portrait photographer where you will also receive your feather and stickers." ??

15. elab

elab Turnbull haze

I agree.

Last year, a cramp kicked in just as the feather was handed to me. I almost fell over the table.

btw, thanks for the mustard packets Pho'dUp.

16. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

It's already been discussed. John will hand you the feather when you go get your picture taken. Brenda will be helping John with this. You don't have to go over right away, so you'll have time to unwind, sit and clear the fog out your heads before going over.

On another note, Motorway update: Ken and I went up and worked on the section that washed down after the last rains. Here are some before and after pics.

Before
    IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg

After
    IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3099.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg

17. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Last year I didn't have my pic taken--can I get it after having my hair and nails done? Like a VQ glamour shot? :)

18. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    thanks for the work gene... that section needed it.

19. CPATCRASH

Very true. Just hammer to the finish! :bang:

20. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

no kidding, that is awesome!!