2008 VQ and CC registration open

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Pho'dUp, Sep 17, 2007.

?

Are you doing the VQ or CC in 2008?

1. VQ

43.2%
  2. CC

31.6%
  3. none

17.9%
  4. volunteer

7.4%
  1. guero

guero iFroth

dont lie, it has a suspension seatpost! :bang:

2. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I definately want to do the CC this year. Sorry Dale, but I think the Burner will be ridden by me this time....I could loan you my AS-X if you want though ;)

3. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

dammit clinky... :lol:

Lee, we should shuttle and crash the ride :bang:

4. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Nope too outta shape for this event. I've done the VQ a few times now. I think its time to work at Aid Station I again!!!

That is a lot more fun!!
    Good luck everyone.

5. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    True and spring-loaded saddles!

6. ShugaMama

ShugaMama New Member

Been thinking about this...

I've been talking with a friend of mine about this, and we are considering the CC this year. Just wondering about what others have posted about all the fireroad stuff involved... Definitely in for potential training rides when posted. I'll keep my eyes peeled.:) It's kind of funny- Patrick and I have joked about doing this on the tandem!!! :):)

7. Permagrin

Permagrin Hard landing comin' up!

both of these races would kill me but I'd be up for volunteering...

8. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Others have done it on a tandem. It IS possible!

On another note: It was nice meeting you again at Reynold's Bench on Sunday.

KeepsWhatHappens

9. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    I know you can do it!

Allison,

I know that you can do it... the secret of VQ/CC is the time you put in training... the more time you log in the saddle , the more it pays off on race day. VQ was conceived as an ultimate test of one's spirit. It's hard and it's meant to be. But knowing your mental and physical attitude, you can do this... especially with Justin's help. Gene will be setting up a great conditioning schedule.. all of you try and do as many as possible and by the time the race rolls around, you'll be ready! I'll be joining Gene during this time as well and I want to see as many of you out there as possible.

I will be volunteering again this year as I get my rewards from watching and encouraging the riders as they make the sacrifice to finish the event. One of the responsibilities of a warrior is helping those who are coming up. I've ridden with many of you now and know your character ... you will complete this task... you will endure... and some of you will stretch yourself farther than you've ever thought possible. This is more than a bike ride. This helps to define who you are.

OMR
    Warrior/STR Tribe member

10. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Doing one of them

Have done the VQ on geared bikes and CC on SS bikes.

Right now I am thinking CC on SS.........but the VQ on a geared bike???...maybe

Duno because the training rides are during baseball season and I coach my two oldest boy's teams#-o

11. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    Many have talked about doing many training rides. Just don't get burned out. Try not to ride the course too much. Also just because lots of the race is on fire roads doesnt mean you have to traine on them. Good luck to all and remember to have fun!
    Matt aka Soaring Falcon
    Warrior's Society member/STR Racing Mod

thanks for your wisdom and for volunteering OMR. Its always a pleasure to see you especially on the race course. It really gives us a big boost and always puts a smile on my face. My first long race was the 6 hours of OC 2 years ago and you really kept me going when you were at the top of the last climb on those last couple leg burning laps, yelling at me to keep going and not to stop or walk.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2007
  12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    PFFFT! You could probably beat half the field without even trying ;)

13. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Agree

However you should ride the WHOLE course (in sections) before the event. The hike-a-bike on W. Horsethief (VQ) has broken the spirit of many riders.

14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    The race is all fire road climbing. I actually prefer fire road climbing... 8-[ Maybe not as fun, but it seems easier :D

If you want to do it, sign up and do it! Just make sure to get in a lot of miles. The key to my success last year was slowly building up mileage until we completed 49.9 miles and around 9000ft of climbing. I knew that I could then *do* the mileage, it was just the cutoffs I had to contend with, and I easily made those with at least 30min to spare.

15. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    Heres a training tip. MAny people bonk around the last 3rd of the VQ. Bonking isn't just physical. You have to mentally give up too. No matter what shape I'm in. I know that my legs are going to pedal as long as my brain is telling them too, either that or there going to have to drag my body off the trail. One way to make yourself mentally tougher therefore less susceptable to bonking is to do a few all out 3-5 minute sprints on a bike, in a pool, running etc. When your riding at the Pow Wow or any other compettetion remember "Pain is temporary, glory is for ever." Have fun riding!
    Soaring Falcon

16. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Very kind words Allison, but... I guess the reality is that I don't have the desire (like OCRider) to do the VQ or any other major ride anymore. Maybe its the years of racing, maybe I'm just burnt on the long distance rides, I don't know.

Who knows by March, maybe I'll be interested in doing it again. #-o Oh, I don't know.

Good luck to all. My best advise to all is simply start putting a lot of time on the saddle.

17. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Good point Matt. Alot of it is pain tolerance, which is mental. But I also advocate being well hydrated and intaking lots of electrolytes. If you're cramping, the mental factor can't work miracles.

KeepsWhatHappens

Fueling guide

18. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    Pickle juice = miracle juice

19. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

There are lots of....

things to remember. For me it is to have a plan.....stick to it.....and NEVER give up. I have seen too many riders that were in way better phyiscal shape than me drop out. They hit it too hard at first and by mile 30 they are cramped up on the side of the trail.

It would be fun to have a thread (closer to the event) on training techniques:)

20. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

I'm planning on VQ. Was surprised and pleased with my CC performance last time, and figure I should step it up a notch.

I was amazed to find I had something--anything--left in the tank at the bottom of Holy Jim in the last CC. Wasn't enough to get me up WHT if I'd been on the VQ, but still came as quite a shock considering the fact I'd never done anything similar to that race before. It also served as an excellent gauge of the training I'd put in--enough for a respectable CC finish, but not quite enough for the VQ. That info will be invaluable to me this time around.

Of course with a new baby due any day now, training might get a little funky this year. So if you see a light on the Fully Loop around, say, 2:45am, honk--I'm probably squeezing a lap in between feedings!

Fantastic, bubb! I'd much rather see you in the CC than me on the Burner, if that makes sense.

But hey, got an extra RP3 laying around, by any chance? ;)

Almost forgot: GET OFF THE DAMN FENCE, CRAIGGER! Let's do this thing! :bang: