"12 Hours Of Temecula" Jan 24th,09 Course Description

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by ranoaclan, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

update

Hey Racers and Pit crews,
    We are a week away from the start of the 2009 endurance season. The upcoming Jan 24Th race is looking super strong and exciting. We are welcoming back the endurance legend Tinker Juarez to the SoCal Endurance scene! I love watching Tinker cruz the course. Of course His cruising is all done in big ring! Along with Tinker are a host of endurance racings top pro's. It is truly a pleasure to have such a rich field for the first race of 2009.
    Once again Socal Endurance welcomes the bike industries top companies to our world class vendor area. Some of our bike industry friends include:
    Intense Cycles ( Headlining sponsor )
    Ellsworth Bicycles
    Turner Bicycles
    Cannondale Bicycles
    Hammer Nutrition ( Gold sponsor )
    Spinergy Wheels ( Gold Sponsor )
    Pro Motion Sportswear ( Gold Sponsor )
    Ez-Up Direct ( Gold Sponsor )
    Intense Tires ( Gold Sponsor )
    Vigor Helmets ( Gold Sponsor )
    THE ( Gold Sponsor )
    AYUP Lighting
    Niterider Lights
    Cycopath Bike Shop ( Gold Sponsor )
    Nimbus Water
    ESI Grips
    Murrieta Chiropractic
    Wiens Winery
    Plus many more vendors and services to come and check out!

Please support our sponsors and partners. They support you!

Because of our sponsors we have tons of stuff for the legendary "12 Hour" raffle. This will be the biggest raffle to date! Over $5000 worth of swag for our racers. Plus don't forget the "12 Hour" performance tickets we give away. This race we will be giving away more than $500 in cash. Plus the $50 fastest lap both men and women, and the $50 for the fastest parade lap. So stick around and collect your prizes!

For 2009 we have added a few races to our SoCal Endurance calender. My Mission is to provide Southern California with the best race experience possible! For the second race in the "12 Hour" series we will be up in the mountains outside of Big Bear, Ca. Rim Nordic Ski Resort will be hosting our second "12 Hour" race of the year. The Rim Nordic race promises to be a classic for SoCal. The trails are super fun and challenging. The scenery is second to none! This will be an epic adventure. On October 3rd we will host the first annual SoCal Fat Tire Epic. The Race will be held at Vail Lake resort in Temecula, CA. This is truly going to be an Epic race. The top tier of racers will be competing on almost 100 miles of amazing Southern California trails. There will also be smaller distances to suit all riders. Along challenging day in the saddle that will prove to be a SoCal Favorite. Also stay tunes for a couple more exciting events on some of SoCals classic trails. There will be a press release in about a month with some exciting news for a series of races that will ROCK the SoCal Crowd! Of course we will end the year with the "12 Hour Championship at Vail Lake resort in November!
    A quick note, we are up and running with the
    "Southern California Interscholastic High School Mountain Bike League". This is an amazing opportunity for us to give back to the sport we love. SoCal Endurance will host the first Race of the Year for the High School league. The first race will be held at Vail Lake resort on March 8th. This promises to be a historic moment in SoCal Mountain biking. I am honored to be a part of it! Please check out www.socaldirt.com for more info.

A couple of notes to all racers and crews:
    - Please have each team member print out, sign, and bring a race waiver to the check in. This will greatly speed up the check in process. The waiver is attached to this email.
    - Check in for the race is Friday evening from 4:30 to 6:00 pm and 6:00 to 7:30 Saturday morning. All racers must check in prior to race. Number plates will not be given until full team has checked in.
    - The pit area for the race is any grassy area around the Huck Finn Pond and pool area. Driving on to the grass in not allowed. Teams must unload and load all pit equipment in the parking lot and walk to pit setup areas. The early birds get the best spots. It is first come first served.
    - Renaud catering will be on hand to provide all your dining needs. Get ready for the best tri tip sandwiches.
    - water is available on site but please don't depend on us to keep you hydrated. Racers need to bring water!
    - Intense Cycles, Canondale, Turner, and Ellsworth will be on site with full demo setups for all to try. Spinergy will have demo wheels on hand also.
    - Cycopath Bike shop will be on hand to help with all your biking needs. Cycopath is also allowing a 10% discount on all race supplies and equipment this week. Plus I am sure They will help you out with a new bike if that is what you need! Just tell them you are participating in the race.
    also Cycopath is offering a $50 race tune up this week. These guys rock and I appreciate the support!

2. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

doing great things for the SoCal mountain bike scene Jason!! keep up the good work man...you have plenty of supporters!!
    :bang:

3. GregC

GregC New Member

Looking forward to the pain and suffering next (I think):beer:

Thanks for all your hard work Jason on putting on such great events.:bang:

4. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    We should have had a race out there yesterday (sunday) will all the pre riders. It was like a "mini racers and chasers" event.

5. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Could someone report on the steepness of the course. Specifically what is the steepest sustained grade (%)?

Also how do we go about making a reservation for a campsite? I looked on the SoCal Endurance site but didn't see anything.

6. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Just did 2 laps of pre-ride, the steeps are fairly steep but short but nothing granny won't fix. I was running 22-32 on 29 inch wheels and was able to grind up with out too much problem. SS might be tough on few spots but they are quite short, just walk it and won't loose too much time.

Condition of the trail is great today but but we'll see how things are late into the race.

As far as camping goes go to vail lake's website:
    http://vaillakeresort.com/index.php?p=1_5_Online-Reservations

BTW everyone......this is a really fun course!

7. olis1

olis1 Member

Mechanical Engineer, Robotics
    Yep, the course is steep in spots but nothing this cyldesdale couldn't clear in granny-2 on my 29'er. The key to these trails being rideable is traction. I think the toughest climb is the up after you go left by the marlin. In November I was walking it but Saturday I just rode up it. As the laps wear on I could see people walking it and your ability to climb it will probably depend on if someone in front of you is walking it on the line.

The second steepest up is the transition into the BMX loop but its only like 15 feet long. Bridges has some tight turns on it and I just can't seem to turn right well. :?:

8. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    The problem is that 'not so steep' and 'not so long' is relative, number are not. I do appreciate your responses though. :)

My ride this morning had several miles of rocky singletrack ascending with early all in double digits. I was thinking to myself...I sure hope the Temecula course is not like this or I'm dead.

What is you don't have a granny gear? :) 30 x 12-34 is all I gots.

9. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

o.k. ther is nothing un-walkable...does that help?;)

10. JD158

JD158 New Member

Just curious, how technical is the downhill part??.......I love going downhill but some reason when it gets really rocky, my skirt flys in my face and I suck :lol:...... but i've been working on it!!!:bang: either way, lets go have some fun!!!!

11. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    :) :) :)

12. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Just a quick note on the e-reservations.. What looks available online may not be, The online reservations are not live. If you reserve a site online you may get as call from them telling you they need to change your spot because it's already reserved. Also the phone call to make the resi's gets you the tent discount if your tenting.

13. olis1

olis1 Member

Mechanical Engineer, Robotics

This course it not too tough on the decents. Everything is pretty easy. I'd say the sketchiest part is the decent from the saddle, the top after bridges. Its been used multiple times in the races at Vail. Just get on the brakes early, pick a line and then let off the brakes about half way thru it. The cool thing is you come flying down and go right back up another trail.

14. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

MTB Maven

Alrightyy then here are some stats for ya! The longest sustained climb is just under .5 mile it is 3-5% grade and a little sandy in a couple spots. A little birdy tells me that there will be pallets on the sandy spots. But of course I'm only the promoter ya know. The actual hard part of the course comes at about the 2 mile mark. The trail has a couple tight rideable switchbacks. But in bettween is flat rest spots. On top of the switches there is about 3/4 of a mile to the top of the course. On this 3/4 mile stretch you have 2 steep climbs on fireroads. Totally rideable by beginer riders. That would conclude the hardest section. I did 3 laps the other day on my rigid singlespeed. My gearing was 32-18 on a 29r. Which is about 2-1 gear ratio. The only section I had an issue with was a 25 short left steep that I lost traction on. I think by far this is the funnest fastest course weve put together for the 12 Hour. The ridgeline descents let you be as bad as you wanna be. They are a little techy but so much fun. Once you ride it a couple times you can really let it rip! The majority of this course is singletrack with some fireroad thrown in and doubletrack to get a little speed. Anyway time for bed I gotta get up early to work on the course a lbit more. So have a great evening and I hope this helped a little!:?:
    Jason

15. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Most excellent help ranoaclan! Much thanks. I have never ridden the area (actually have no idea where it is either). I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for what I'm getting into.

I did a little math with a buddy and figured a solo rider could potentially ride 90 miles at this event. That was based on a 70 minute lap, which would include a short pit and stopping at the time tent. Putting up those kind of numbers on the road is one thing but on dirt...that scares me. Let the good times roll. :bang:

16. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

your not far off:
    winner of solo beg. will do 8 laps
    winner of sport solo will do 11
    winner of the pro solo will do 13-14.

17. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    I know it's early

but I would still plan to bring your rain gear :)

Friday
    Jan 23
    Hi:67°Lo:46°
    [​IMG]Showers / Clear

Saturday
    Jan 24
    Hi:62°Lo:48°
    [​IMG]Showers / Clear

Sunday
    Jan 25
    Hi:61°Lo:47°
    [​IMG]AM Rain

Could be like last January's race #-o

18. chanson

chanson doepicshit.

Web Designer
    I have be wondering if anyone has noticed the weather for the event on Saturday. Looks to be cold with some chance of rain...

19. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    I noticed it, but have been just ignoring it, hoping it goes away.

In any case, I'm bringing a SS as my backup bike in case it gets too muddy out there. :lol:

20. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Hmm, maybe I should just run SSpeed. No drivetrain mud issues. Besides, I'll be walking up those steeps after a few laps anyways.