Your favorite (cycling, nutrition, training, etc.) websites...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dino Brown, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

It amazes me know much information (really good information) can be found on the Internet. It also amazes me how difficult it can sometimes be to find that information. This thread was started in hopes STR members will share a few of their favorites....

-Favorite Cycling Magazines
    -Nutritional Information
    -Nutritional BLOGS (healthy eating, training etc.)
    -Favorite Facebook pages (nutritional, training, team sites)
    -Healthy Recipes for Athletes
    -Beginner and Elite Level Training Sites
    -General Info (maps, how-to, destinations, tech etc.)
    -Cycling / Nutritional / Training APPS (there IS an APP for that!)
    -Etc. Etc. Etc.

I am painfully aware most of you are busy LURKING this website... :wave:
    With that said, it only takes a few seconds to share a favorite link... or two.

(that information may change someone's life)

Note: Gabe is NOT allowed to post in this thread!!!!!!
    (even if the links he shares are cycling-related) :)

2. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Hey, Dino. I'll play along with your game.

I'm not much for training-specific or goal-oriented nutrition. I prefer to look at my body as a complete system, where I have to be well in all respects in order to be good in a single aspect of my existence.

But you asked for online stuff that STR folks might find of value. Foremost, I like Kelly Hayford
    http://kellyhayford.com/articles-2/...guidelines-to-an-eating-for-health-lifestyle/
    She's on FB, as well. Look for "Eating for Health with Kelly Hayford."

Her most helpful book is "No Nonsense Nutrition in Bite Sized Portions." It's great advice written in chapters/sections that very in size from a couple paragraphs to a couple pages. It's perfect for mountain bikers who have hit their head so many times that they can't stay focused for more than a couple minutes at a time. She said it can be shared digitally; if anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send you a copy.

3. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    http://www.rescueathlete.com/

This is a fantastic fitness training site that I've been using for a few years now.

I don't do exactly the prescribed training, but I use it as a guideline. Most of these exercises can be substituted for the equipment you have available as well as various fitness levels.

4. emr88

emr88 New Member

nerd
    http://marianutrition.com - A great site with lots of recipes and nutritional information. Gluten and grain free, low-carb.

5. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    http://bikecalculator.com/

If you're a data person who likes analyzing and seeing what type of performance goals such as power improvements or weight loss will get you it's fun to crunch numbers and put in ride data for your favorite roads and trails.

http://www.bikecalc.com/

Calculate gear ratios, gear inches with different setups, and what a speed/cadence/gear setup will get you.

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

Caveat - the internet is an open source, good and bad is in there. If one is trying to find info, formulate a solution, a program, a diet or diagnose an ailment, one should have a good foundation of basics. Even Dr. Oz just got pawnd for promoting quackery. And he's a doctor :(

7. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

This site helps you calculate gears, ratios and such. I spent a bunch on this site before I switched over to XX1 analyzing high and low gear range... paralysis by analysis !

Fun none the less.

www.sheldonbrown.com/gears

8. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    I just found this mapping website a few days ago, it's been great for planning backpacking trips but would be great for planning out riding routes too. You can draw a line and it will calculate the mileage and show an elevation profile, plus the printing option is pretty awesome.

http://caltopo.com/

9. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

10. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

I like to record my food intake with this app:
    My Fitness Pal

Mind over Munch by Alyssia Sheikh has bunch of healthy recipes and good looking pictures. She's on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube as well.

[​IMG]

Although it might be a violation of Rule #42, I enjoy running. I find it helps with me ride longer and faster.

If you've never been a runner, a quick, safe way to start pounding out the miles is the C25K plan:
    Couch to 5k

I have found this book to be very helpful:
    Runner's World Complete Guide to Running

[​IMG]

There's loads of good stuff out there, but obviously plenty of woo and bad advice. Do your own research.

11. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Mtbr.com is excellent (usually) for trip planning and local advice if you're headed somewhere new. There are so many threads buried in that site that pretty much any maintenance issue has been answered as well.

Bikepacking.com for cool Bikepacking inspiration, knowledge, and other cool stuff.

Semi-rad.com always just makes you stoked on this life we lead. Sometimes they have cool riding stuff to boot!

Beeradvocate.com for nutrition tips. :beer:

12. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
  13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I get all my nutritional advice from FAD.

14. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

15. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Twitter. This might be obvious, but to keep up on all your favorite pro riders, follow them on Twitter. I made a Twitter "list" just for mountainbike/DH people. Cool to see comments and pictures posted by the riders, Warner etc., feelings on their track walk/practice/quals and race runs, Some only post on twitter, not FB. You can also follow UCI, Dirt, PB and Vital to get more insights. Beware tho, on race days, the twitter feeds are a little faster than the Red Bull coverage so don't look at twitter if you want to watch it "live".

PS, I've never posted anything myself on Twitter, just use it to keep up on stuff and get tidbits that you can't often can't find anywhere else.

16. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

If you are new to the sport and want to learn how to work on your bike. This is the one you need: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Parktool has the best writeup on derailleur adjustments.

17. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

I have never used to much of this stuff .. but over the last few months doing much longer rides I have become a big user and believe in them 110%...

I think before a big ride or race a bar is good and I would advise about an hour before. (Mostly the bar for a ride not race unless it is a 50 mile plus)

About 20-30 minutes before a Gel is good light and does not fill ya up.. I like V fuel and Hammer gels

Then every 60-90 minutes I continue to gel and each I like to drink about 6-8 oz of water after each gei

I know on my 117 mile road ride I did a few weeks back at 104 degrees If it was not for me following the list above I would of been cooked...

But I was able to ride strong the ride and did feel one bit of fatigue