"...you haven't posted in several weeks. Why not post something..."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ET_SoCal, Sep 6, 2006.

1. ET_SoCal

ET_SoCal Member

Computers & Networks
    Home Page:
    OK, I’ll post…
    So…

After riding on the new components for 5 rides I can post the results.

Upgrade from rim brakes to Avid BB7: Quite a difference, only needing the one finger to slow down before that turn, can keep the speed up just before the turns and scrub the speed a lot later. Also on tight singletrack turns I can slow the front and move the rear around without completely stopping, before I would need to stop, lock up the front, and hop a few times to move the back around.

Upgrade from XT taper BB & old ’97 Specialized crank arms on Shimano XT rings to Race face X-Type BB & Dues crank: Major difference in stiffness, really can feel the power to the wheels, can feel the acceleration when I stand and crank for the first few pedals. Also seems like the BB is lower, I’m more balanced and feel more “connected” to the bike, I really didn’t expect the difference the crankset & BB would make, more than the disc brakes.

Upgraded Wheelset (from XT & XTR hubs to Hope Pro2): ½ lb lighter, not sure if I can really feel any difference because of the new Brakes & BB/Crank.

Upgraded from 8-speed XTR STI Shifters & XTR rear Derailleur to Sram X.9 Trigger, Rear Derailleur & Speed Dial SL levers; Sram is a little louder and “Clicker” (Not sure how to describe this) Seems more of a positive engage you can feel the shift more and know it’s in gear. The all thumbs shifting really didn’t take more than five minutes to get use to, but I do like having my index fingers free to be on the brake levers, also the paddle is a little higher than the XTR, and the “throw” (pushing the paddle to shift) seems to be a tad longer.

I don’t think all the other little upgrades made a whole lot of difference, Grips, Flak Jacket cables, PG-990 Cassette & PC 991 Chain.

--ET

2. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    good stuff. How is the shifting with the Flak Jacket cables? No smoother than before?

3. ET_SoCal

ET_SoCal Member

Computers & Networks
    Home Page:
    Not really much smoother than having brand new (usual QBP) cables & housings, but I think the "sealed" system will help keep the dust&dirt out for a while longer.

4. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    I had major dragging issues with brand new Flak Jackets causing my shifting to be delayed. Talked to the Path and they suggested I get rid of them and run standard basic shimano cables. They claim Flaks have alot of problems. So I swapped and sure enough, my shiftings like butta!!! :)

5. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    How heavy are you? I'm wondering if lighter XC'ish to Agressive XC riders like myself would actually notice a difference.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Dam Eric, what did you do rob a bank? Nice upgrades!

7. ET_SoCal

ET_SoCal Member

Computers & Networks
    Home Page:
    Work Bonus!
    \\:D/

Today I'm at 180lbs.
    Sometimes when I pig out for a few days I'll gain 3 or 4 lbs...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2006
  8. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

A couple of guys that I know have had problems with the Race Face Dues, keep an eye on them and make sure the BB is tightened properly.

I agree that SRAM shifts louder, but I also think they seem more reliable, with less of a delay in shifting. And, supposedly, easier to adjust than Shimano.

9. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    I got the Shram X9 with grip shifters recently. I highly recommend and I will never go shimano unless they get batter than this. I was nervous about switching over but I am so impressed.