You asked for it, guys...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DownhillWebKook, Nov 13, 2007.

1. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Now that I'm on the injured list, I am going nuts trying to find ways to amuse myself. This forum is but one form of amusement that I have found so here goes...

Last week I posted something about an event called the "1:04" that I was proposing we emulate in some fashion. I got a lot of stick for that because of, for lack of willingness to type the minutiae, the impact it would have on a trail like 5 Oaks (or any other local trail for that matter). There were some positive responses, but most of it was pretty negative--"Yeah that would be cool, BUT..."

What I want to know is how the Push-a-Kona ride is any less of a bad idea. There were 40 people running the trails in an organized fashion. Sure, it wasn't a race, but I fail to see any significant difference.

Now don't get me wrong. That was a damn fun ride and I was glad to be a part of it--crash and all. I can't wait to go on something like that again and not end up in the rocks like a dumdum, but really why didn't anyone poopoo the Kona ride like they did the 1:04? I don't get it.

2. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I didn't say anything about your idea. I didn't see what you said. What happened to you on the Push-A-Kona
    Ride? I didn't make it I was at bootleg.

3. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

he got knocked DA huck OUT!! :lol:

(j/k Oottay :bang::lol:)

4. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Ok I'll play

Here is the deal. You were trying to plan a race….as in lets go as fast as we can. Aliso Woods is a Weekend Warriors riding area with kids and Wal-Mart riders mixed in with Average Joe M-Biker and the Mountain Dew Crew.

That thread reminded of a thread awhile back when a poster companied about the Mountain Dew Crew over at Oakley running him off the trail at Whiting because they were shredding……..#-o

The event that you want to do should take place at Joplin or some other remote trail where the chances of running over a parent with a hook-on bike pulling their 4 year old kid is minimal.

Sorry I do not know how the “Push a Kona” ride was structured but it wasn’t a race was it?

5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I've never done it, but I was under the impression it's meant to be a fun, group, sufferfest ride with lots of bike pushing (uphill).

6. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I'm one of the guys that may have come across as negative. There's nothing wrong with the idea. It does sound fun. My points were that 5 Oaks is a bad place for it and an organized downhill race would be a more precise measurement.

Take a look at the condition of 5 Oaks. While I personally find the loose conditions fun, having all of So Cal riding it on the ragged edge to shave a second off their time will impact the trail negatively.

I can't speak to the Push-a-Kona ride since I wasn't there but I suspect with a train of riders going down the majority weren't pinning it to win the prize.

I think if you read between the lines on your previous post's threads, there's some options.

C

7. guero

guero iFroth

well said craig.

8. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Hey DHWK, I never saw your 1:04 post, what's it about?

I really was hesitant about doing PAK in the parks.
    For my intentions of the ride, it's supposed to be done in the mountains. The park was fun, but not nearly as hard of a ride as I like it to be.

I've often brought up the idea of having a local Super D run. We'd come up out of Old Camp, down STT, down The Luge, with Cook's Corner being the finishing area.
    The olny problem is.....too much two way traffic.
    I feel it'd be a little dangerous, pinning it down, while other riders or trail runners may be on their way up.

It would be cool to do a local "un-offical" race. We just need to find the right spot.

Man it's late. I need to hit the sack.#-o

9. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Dude, it was totally fun.

Yeah, the Push-a-Kona thing is absolutely meant to be fun and it was. Let me take nothing away from how cool that was to have so many people out there on those trails. It was a blast up until the broken collar bone.

10. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

11. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

The whole race idea is what ends up shutting trails and parks down. I know that sucks because it could be fun. I didn't know what the 1:04 was really.
    I thought it was a time that some people take off from work to go ride. Or something like that. I will read the post when I have time. As for now back to work.

12. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I think it would be okay, on the boundaries that we do trail maintenance afterwards. Things like this only become a problem if people are racing and beat up the trail without helping repair the damage they cause. Thats just my opinion though.

I'd be up for some trail maintenance at 5 Oaks. :beer:

13. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

I think your 1.04 is a great idea. We just need to find the right hill to have it one. Heck, one in someones back yard might do. Like you said, keep it so short that one little bobble blows your chance.

But seeing as no one has said hill or if they do are not going to let us thrash it I have an idea.

Why not just do it at Fontana on non race weekends? I'm no big Fontana fan but it could be just the spot for that.

14. 2w4s

2w4s New Member

5 Oaks Trail day

Me too! Maybe we could arrange a trail day after Thanksgiving to buff 5oaks? If we could get ~15 people with camelbacks and tools we could get a lot done in just a few hours. Target a few areas that are seeing too much erosion from people blowing turns, (which I've done too many times to count) etc? Should be fun, I'll bring some budweiser.

Could we make it an official trailday, say December 1? :beer:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007