Yeti SB-66 & SB-95 survey . . . . man! I got's ta know

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie Watson, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    Okay.
    I know I'm going to take a lot of smack over this . . .

Some of you know I'm very old school; ride a 1997 857 Proflex, ashamed of my friends that have an adjustable seat post, yadi, yadi, yadi.

My Proflex is a GREAT climber. Climbing is equally as important to me as descending. I test rode a 575, and although I hated the climb I was blown away by it's singletrack prowess. I hammered one down McGill Trail and was blown away by how stable and supple it was. But I need a climber.

As of late, I have been obsessed with the Yeti SB's. I have not found one to test ride as of yet. Switch technology makes sense to me. I have not ridden a 29'er yet. Everybody I have talked to love there 29'ers.

So I guess I'm asking you Yeti Super Bike guys what you think of your bikes.

Are you a climber? Does it climb well for you? Would you recommend one for a guy who likes to climb?

Do you have a 26'er or a 29'er? Would it be worth waiting for a SB-95C that most likely will not be delivered until possibly 2013?

Composite over Aluminum?

I have read all the reviews and naturally they say they are great bikes, but I rather hear from people that own them.

I have received great advice from guys like Varaxis and others. I know the bottom line is I have to ride them for myself.

I just need a fix, c'mon man! Can you spare a brother another P.O.V.? And pictures! Yeah . . . pictures!

Send pictures! Right now, I'm a Yeti SB Junkie!!!

No disrespect, not looking for opinions. Looking for owners that love or hate their bike and why...

Thanks. I had to get that off my chest . . . .

~Mikie

2. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

Nice!@ I just got a warranty 2011 Yeti 575 and I couldn't be happier. This bike rocks. That being said, I haven't ridden the SB or any of its variants.
    I just got a 29er hardtail and it was the bomb when I rode it to the liquor store. Smoothly conquers the curbs, the big wheels flop controllably, and if I say so myself, I adjusted the shit out of those derailleurs and they work like a $2 ho on dollar day!

3. jimbowho

jimbowho Member

Water bringer.
    Jeepers! I'm jealous of your proflex. Best I could do was find a Ti-proflex bar stem combo 1" suspension quill stem for the 91 Stumpy. Still have it. "Hijack"

I have been reading up on the 66 for an hour now! Looks to be a serious mount. Sorry no input, But I'm guessing you will be hard pressed to find someone that ownes one with bad reviews IMO.

PS, Been out on your Acton trail five times going the south route at a snails pace, I truly enjoy that ride. If you pop on the Yeti, post up!!!

PS again. You know that bike comes with remote dropper post guides? HAAHAHAAAAAAAA

4. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    You should hit up the guys at JensonUSA, I'm sure they'll probably have one built up for demo and they'll probably take you on a ride at Sycamore next to their shop. That way you can get a pretty good idea of how it'll fit your style of riding. Pakiha sp?? on STR works there.

5. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Last week when I was there, the Corona store had an SB-66 built up. Nice looking ride. Good luck on your hunt. -Lloyd :wave:

6. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Can I assume you've seen this?

http://www.yeticycles.com/blog/?p=1405

It's Yeti's Chris Conroy dealing with his inner bias about big wheels v his beloved 26er. Like me, he doesn't want to like the big wheels.

As a long-time Yeti fan, I've been contemplating the SB-66 myself, to replace my 575. Yeti is one of very few brands that has the proper top-tube length for me (25" or longer). My only reservation is the weight. My 575 frame is about 6.5lbs with DHX Air shock. The SB-66 would add a pound for sure. I've been trying to demo one, but I keep missing my connections.

Revo in Lake Forest had a large, and I rode it in the parking lot, but all that told me was the tires were underinflated. It seems to respond well to sudden, hard charging in a firm gear - what else can I test in a parking lot while wearing flip flops?

Good luck with your dilemma!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  7. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    All the Test-a-Bike days are on the weekends and unfortunately I work the weekends. I've never been to a JensonUSA. Are you talking about around Sycamore Canyon? I just heard about Sycamore last week (I'm a Central California puke in Lebec),

That's a great idea. They would actually let me go out on a ride with them? I will try and contact Pakiha. Thanks!!

~Mikie

8. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

The SB-95 likely won't start shipping until late March, according to some Yeti insiders, but they say that there may be delays. Jenson is expecting May 22 for current orders (maybe their first Mar/April batch is spoken for). '12 SB-66 is already in stock (and a couple hundred dollars cheaper for their base Enduro model), but I think the SB95 is better suited for most SoCal trails and is worth waiting for.

The demos at the Jenson Riverside location were provided by Yeti's demo tour, I thought. They only stop by for a day and tour the country to do a demo at other spots. Don't think the Riverside location actually has bikes [at all, from any brand,] to demo, but I don't work there, so my word isn't all that reliable. Haven't seen anyone riding a SB66 either, that could possibly let you swing a leg over their rig. Sycamore Canyon (Riverside) isn't an ideal trail for a bike like that, unless you're a beginner, as that takes out a good portion of the fun/challenge out of the trail.

I didn't know you rode a Proflex until recently--you're going old school to the newest of "new school". Are you planning on riding the Yeti as long as you rode your ProFlex? Are you gonna go even more new school with a dropper post? JKing. ;)

9. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Yeah, I didn't realize you were from Lebec until after I posted. That's gotta be close to 2.5 -2.75 hr drive for you. Jenson is right next door to Sycamore Canyon in Riverside, 60/215 fwy split. I'd be worth it to call them and see if you can take the bike out for a ride, nothing beats actual time on a bike on dirt. Pakiha's name is Jared.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  10. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Varaxis. I do agree with your SB-95 thoughts for So Cal. I'm really leaning towards having the patience to wait out for the SB-95. I would like it in Carbon though (another year?!?!?) Hey, I'm riding a bike from 1997. I think I could wait one more year.

Let's see. If I rode my Yeti as long as I have ridden my Proflex, I would be . . . . 68? Is 68 the new 30? Uh . . . probably not... It think I just depressed myself!

Ya know? If I'm willing to go to the front on technology. I might just try a dropper :-k. Don't tell anyone . . .

I have a good friend who has a bike shop that carries Yeti. He just loaned me a Big Top (no SB Demo's) at least I'll get on a 29'er tomorrow and see what it's like. I'm going to ride Golden Eagle if anyone wants to go.

~Mikie

11. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

there is a huge thread on mtbr about the 66, from what read people are having creaking issues and they say the rear end is a little hard to set up other than that people seem to like them

12. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

Read the links on MTBR and compare them to the other usual suspects (Mojo HD or SLR and Nomad/Blur LT). There is a good comparison in the Ibis section from an owner that switched. On the 9'r vs. 6'r question, you will either love a 29'r or hate it. There is no middle ground. It will be interesting to hear your feedback after riding the BigTop.

Carbon vs. AL is an easy one. Carbon all the way. Stiffer and lighter is an easy decision to make as long as you can swallow the cost. Personally I think that Yeti is way over charging for their carbon version of the 66 at $3K.

13. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Maybe the '12 Shimano XTR Shadow+ rear derailleur (M985 with the friction pivot) tech will trickle down to XT and maybe SLX levels around the time the carbon version is introduced. Waiting for tech to trickle down and become more refined is a good reason to wait; saving money for your retirement fund is also a good reason. Carbon seems to have mostly broken out of its prior blingy weave look and broken weight weenie reputation to being a solid functional high performance material that's worth its cost, especially for many larger parts that benefit from custom tube shaping and wall thickness variation.

Try a Yeti ASR5c too, if you can, for contrast and comparison and to better find what you're looking for in a bike. Yetis are fun to ride, but depending on the trail, it might not be as fun as a lesser bike that leaves some challenge to the trail--that's part of the reason why people go full circle back to hardtails, rigids, singlespeed, etc. to ride their local trails, since their skill, combined with their advanced bikes, can make their current trails be little challenge to them. ASR5 to SB66 to SB95... I have a good feeling that the SB95 will impress Mikie the most all around, followed by the ASR5. No hate on the SB66, but I just can't see everyone riding a bike like that, that's in the league of the MojoHD and Nomad for this area, unless they're pretty big on shuttling and finding new trails to challenge them or are lesser experienced riders who want a bit more confidence in the rough, maybe to cross line between being too scared to try and at least attempting it. The SB95 is actually designed for the same trails as the 66, but the 29er's XC capability would likely appeal more to someone coming from an XC background and looking for a bike that be the one bike that they can take almost anywhere, including bike parks. Heck, he might even be sold on the Big Top, though that doesn't come with the versatility of a FS bike for taking to new unknown trails.

Try to get Saturday off, to get to Simi Valley and demo the Cannondale Scalpel 29. The ride of that might just surprise you enough that you'd be highly tempted to be writing a check for one instead of waiting for a SB95c, but I think costs significantly more. You're looking at the Ferrari Enzos of the mtn bike world here, especially with the Scalpel 29 Ultimate version.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...h-8am-3pm-simi-valley-corriganville-park.html

14. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Wow! Great info!
    I really appreciate the time you guys have taken. Coming from soooo far behind and looking at the new schtuff IS Overwhelming. Having guys like you, that have the same passion, really helps put it all in good perspective. I think what I have learned the most is not to get fixated on one particular bike and get out there and ride, ride, ride. Choosing a new steed can be fun, and to keep my options open. I'm not the kind of guy to have a quiver, so my next pick has to be a versatile a possible. I think you guys are nailing it.

Thanks!!!

~Mikie

15. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Hey I would be willing to let you ride my ASR5C, if you are in the SoCal areawe could do a hot lap through Whiting or hit the STT for the Luge. The Yeti is very different from the Proflex. I still have my 856 and the Yeti blows the doors off of it. The ASR5C climbs very well and allows the downhills to be so much fun. It is a very fast bike up and down. If your feeling saucey you can even ride my 29er SS.
    Let me know.

16. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Hey Zulu, Thanks!
    I may just take you up on that. I just dismantled my 856 this year. It was a great bike for the times. That is solid info I can relate to.

I'll try and contact you next week. hopefully the weather holds out.

Whereabouts in So Cal? I'm not afraid of driving.

~Mikie

17. andrew8404

andrew8404 New Member

Paramedic
    I tried out the SB 66 at the Jenson demo a few months ago and loved it. It climbs really well and there's no need for propedal at all. With that being said I really wanted to buy one but I was able to get a 575 for a great price and decided to go with that. Though it doesn't climb as good as the SB I thought the 575 was really good as long as you had propedal on. Though, I'd like to take out a 66 on my local trails to get a better feel.

18. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    I rode the Yeti Big Top today. It was definetly too small of a frame. I felt I was sitting on top of the front wheel. Hillbilly and I rode the Acton Trail. It's all technical ST very sharp and twisting. I really floundered the whole ride. Swapped with Doug and he loved it! I felt more comfortable on his Specialized Enduro than I did the Big Top (I guess the 26 inch wheels).

However, when we swapped back, I accidentally had the seat post way too low for me. It hurt my knees but I rode it anyway, as the front end absolutely came alive! I wonder if I tried a large that it would make a big difference? It seems that the new bikes like to sit you in a much more upright positon. That drives me crazy as I feel I have no leverage on the pedals during the climbs. I think it was a great hardtail though. Just too small for me (I'm six foot). I think the bike was a medium.

On to the next one!
    ~Mikie

19. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Mikie - next time we ride I'll bring a peddle wrench so you can try my 29'er. Should fit you pretty good. Think you'll love it!