Yeti love

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kmarsh, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mmanuel

mmanuel New Member

Sales Rep.
    Is that a talas on the front of that beast.....your ride looks great. Thanks for the reply.

Just wondering would you even consider the carbon?

2. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

FWIW, I am lusting over an ASR! I love my 575 but the weight is killing me during endurance events. At 30#, I am at a significant weight disadvantage to people riding bikes in the 23# range. What's a girl to do?[​IMG]

I love bombing the DH on this bike, though, and that's what makes it tough to want to give up. Hubby was even having a hard time keeping up with me on the descents yesterday. :lol:

3. dssgaffler

dssgaffler Complete Sellout

Yea it's an '08 Talas R on it. Since that photo, I've put some beefier tires on it.

I would definitely consider the carbon rear triangle depending on the type of riding you'll be doing. If you won't be doing too many big drops or jumps, the carbon rear would make the frame lighter and a bit easier to climb.

Good luck with the decision.

4. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

I've been riding a 575 with a carbon swingarm for over three years-trouble free. I've ridden the bike hard from Downiville to Kernville to Moab and bi-weekly ridesa in the 'Gabes, OC and elsewhere

5. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Go for it

I had an 07 with carbon chainstays, no problem. I ride pretty aggressively downhill, but I don't do large hucks. I got the new 575 with aluminum chainstays at the suggestion of both BikeCo and Yeti. No problems. The 09 is noticeably stiffer laterally than the 07. Oh - I weigh about 215. The 07 is currently being ridden by a buddy that weighs about 230. Still no problems.

I had a 36 TALAS on both frames, but had to send the fork back to Fox. I put a 150mm TALAS 32 (15mm thru-axle) on it. I've really enjoyed the lighter fork. It seems to handle the DH just as well, but the bike feels more agile. I got the 36 back yesterday, but I am not going to install it until I have a reason to.

To SDYeti - get the new ASR 5 Carbon. That'll get the weight down!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  6. handlebarstar

handlebarstar One notch higher

Home Page:
    I have an '07 575 and it is one of the best bikes i've had. It's firm enough to climb well when locked out and way more plush than my Heckler when unlocked.

7. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Talas 32 150

I see you have a 36 TALAS on your sled. I did too, but for reasons described elsewhere, I installed the 150mm TALAS 32r with 15mm Thru Axle. Saved over a pound and the bike is outstanding! Just as solid on the DH, but quicker n the turns and obviously lighter for climbing. That or get the new ASR 5 Carbon :bang:

8. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Yes, the fork is a regret 2 years later. I wish I had Talas 32. Know anyone who is selling one? :)

9. LukeTrailrider

LukeTrailrider Member

I have the same exact fork on my bike and I can attest to its prowess. Although it only has 32 mm stanchions, it is super stiff and I have never noticed even the tinniest suggestion of flex.

10. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I posted earlier, but can't resist this thread :)

SDYeti, my '08 575 is around 30lbs at a size large and with a mix of high-end (XO/XTR, carbon bars, etc.) and pedestrian components (mediocre wheels, fat tires, heavy saddle). If mine is 30 lbs then it definitely seems like yours could go on a diet, including the fork as you mentioned.

And yes, mine has the carbon rear triangle. In about 20 months of riding 2-4x per week, and with me at 200lbs, I've had no hint of trouble with it. I'm not a hucker, but I offset that by having no skill, so I tend to hit obstacles that others steer around. So far, the bike has been rock-solid.

Wanted to post a pic of mine, but I can't get the upload to work :confused:

11. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    I just ordered a '09 Yeti 575 w/ 2010 Talas RLC 150mm 15QR fork. Excellent deal from the great guys at Adrenaline Bikes. Can't wait to build it up next week.

12. sethwestphal

sethwestphal New Member

photographer
    :bang:steve... im soo happy for you as soon as you get it lets ride! i was considering a 575 so im super excited for you, its an amazing bike! you know now you HAVE to do san juan right.

13. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    TA is a must

I've seen lots of 140mm TALAS 32s for sale with standard dropouts. I would not suggest that. After you've been riding with a 20mm thru-axle, you should never go back to standard QR. Sell your 36 and pony up for the 150mm 32 w/thru axle. :beer:

14. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Doesnt Lee have one:?:

15. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    That is exactly what I want to do. i have a Talas 32 with standard quick release and if I could change one thing about that bike, it would be to upgrade to a 32 with a thru axle.

16. mmanuel

mmanuel New Member

Sales Rep.
    Thanks for all the advice out there.

So let me ask one more question. For you guys with carbon rear, most of you said you like to DH, but do not huck. I am also pretty aggressive and like many of you I am no hucker, however I max out at two to three foot drops. Still like the carbon for that type of riding?

17. DH_Gnar

DH_Gnar Banned

It looks like you have some doubt on carbon, and just trying to convince yourself to get it for the bling factor. Just get the aluminum version and not think twice about it when your bombing down the chunky stuff.

Btw, lopes hucks his full carbon mojo so it can handle big hits, just exactly how many is the real question. Also being smooth helps.

18. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

It also helps to know that when you break it you will get another one for free:wave:

19. 1X9er

1X9er Don't call me Junior...

Loved my Yeti 575 then started riding a 29er hard tail (Kona), liked it very much, sold the Yeti and just got a 2010 Fisher Hifi deluxe 29er with the ABP system. I think my Yeti was lighter but I am not missing it that much. Still my favorite 26er though. Just owe it to yourself to try a 29er. The new Fisher is really, really good. Heard Yeti will have a 29er next model year....then I may have to reconsider!:wave:

20. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I did a search for info on Yeti 29ers last night, and quickly found internet rumors going back about 4 years! Does anybody have anything definite on this subject? Did they show anything, even a prototype, at Interbike?