Yeti 575 Riders Unite!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mudman, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

I went from hardtail to full sussy around a month ago, and although its heavier, I've been climbing like champ on the technical stuff.

2. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I wouldnt doubht it. My DB climbs like a dog on ice. always slips everywhere on steep climbs.

3. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    My son and I tested one of the Yeti 575's they had up at Big Bear a couple weeks ago and just for the record, we both ride Reigns (here we go again.......).

The bike was set up very nicely as far as components go (full XTR including wheels) and was considerably lighter.

I think that the conclusion most here seem to be reaching is that although they both have about equal travel, they are otherwise not that much alike and I agree with that.

The Yeti has a lot to like. It handles very well and climbs effortlessly. The Bike we had was equipped with a layback seatpost though and IMHO, this was not good. We had an XL and I'm 6'5" and was not only was too stretched out on it, but the position of the saddle relative to the pedals was way too far back.

The Yeti 575 was very smooth and confidence inspiring on 'normal' trails and railed turns easily, yes, even better than the Reign I dare say.

If I wanted a lightweight long travel trailbike, the 575 would be very high on my list, but it would take a little getting used to coming from the Reign.

If the 575 is like a nice pair of really fine trail 'shoes', the Reign is like a well broken in pair of kick-arse hiking boots (especially the way my Reign is set up). They really are two different bikes. For me (being of very substantial stature) when things get a bit gnarly, I'd perfer to be on the Reign even though the 575 would be all the bike I need on many, if not most of my rides.

JMHO.

4. PacMan

PacMan New Member

So there's all this talk of the new SD group here, but I still don't see any rides posted:-k

Let's get it going!! Even if it's a last second ride you are going to do on a whim, take the time to post it and you may be surprised by who shows up.

5. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I think my frame is still in Boulder :(

BTW, have any of the Yeti owners ever gone to their tribe gathering?? (I think it just happened this past weekend). Wondering if it would be worth it to go next year...

6. Evil Chocula

I have three La Costa rides posted!!!

7. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Evil...do you work up in that area? Otherwise, how do you deal with the traffic?

8. Evil Chocula

Yeah, I work in Del Mar, so it's not that bad.. but its still bad, even from there. I'll post that ride on a weekend one of these days.

I posted a ride at Cowles Mt for next Thursday; that's probaly the closest, technical trail to us. You should check it out (if the 575 arrives).

AND: There's a Noble Canyon shuttle run in the works for Labor day.

9. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Hmmm...now, Labor Day we can probably do.....

10. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Here she is...

the newest member of the Yeti family...

Attached Files:

11. b5driver

b5driver New Member

Very nice. I saw it today when I went to go buy mine. I was all set to buy the black large with the enduro kit today, but right before I gave them the credit card, they told me it was sold to someone in Japan. :-k So, mine is getting ordered on Monday. Hopefully it won't take too long to be delivered.

Does anyone have experience with the Fox Vanilla RL fork that it is spec'd with? Is it worth it to switch to a Float or some other air sprung fork?

Oh, and big props to Zach and Franky (sp?) for their help today.

12. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Congrats on the purchase!! Franky told me what happened--sucks that you couldn't take one home right away. It will be worth the wait though, I can promise you that!! Nice meeting you at LPQ too:beer:

My personal opinion of the Vanilla is it isn't that great. For a coil fork it is good, but I don't like coil forks. I prefer air sprung, or coil with air assist at the very least. I would definitley upgrade to a Float or TALAS. Just my opinion though.

That is a sweet looking bike. I saw many people checking it out in the store today. Congrats on the purchase!!

Nice meeting you too. We'll have to get the 575's out on some SD singletrack soon.:bang:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2007
  13. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Thanks! That's too bad that you'll have to wait, but it will be worth it in the end. I am under the impression that build kits from Yeti don't take much time to ship, so I would guess that it won't take much longer than a week.

I second PacMan...I would go with the Float or the Talas.

14. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    Talas.

15. b5driver

b5driver New Member

It was nice meeting you and the rest of the crew at LPQ also. Thanks for waiting up for me. :)

I think I'm going to go for the Float. Hopefully, BB will give me a good deal to trade out the fork.

16. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Sounds like a plan. Now if only my fork would break so I had to get a new bike:lol::lol:

17. b5driver

b5driver New Member

Very funny. If I had as many bikes as a certain someone, then I wouldn't have to make up excuses like that. Maybe I'll have to get a second job too :-k

BTW, any recommendations on a platform pedal? #-o

18. PacMan

PacMan New Member

The only pedal I use is the Azonic A-Frame. Unbelievable grip and it's isn't very heavy either. I have tried many different pedals and it is by far the best. Pricepoint.com sells them for $50, which I then have my LBS pricematch (my LBS wants $90 for them so I don't feel bad asking for the match).

[​IMG]

The pins aren't standard rounded heads either. They are flared to create a "Y" shape that grips really well. This is a new feature. My first few sets had the standard round pin, but they now come with the new pins.

19. Evil Chocula

You guys should quit surfing the web, and gear up for my 4:00 La Costa ride!

20. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm really liking my Specialized Low-Pro mag pedals. Also the Crankbro's 50/50 with cone shaped pegs are really popular.

The key to any good platform pedal, though, is using Five.Ten Impact shoes. :)