yes even i've had enuuf!!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dirttorpeedo, Feb 9, 2007.

1. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    wut the ef am i rattling on about now? how many of you have been riding along and seen holes and divets in the ground,sumpthing like uuuhhhh carbon canyon?i was riding along with my favorite friends and my beeyoutiful sexy raventresst girl friend.wutt doo we ride over/around are walking stick holes! yes walking stick holes...can you believe this shi!t!!thees efin things need to banned from the trails. everywhere i saw these holes and divets it reminded me of how many peeps wanna get bikes banned from trails. butt the reel terminator of trails is walking sticks. i say we need to get together and ban walking sticks from the trails!!! now!
    8)

2. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    No more drugs for that man! :lol:

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    He does have a point (no not his head), those sticks/poles break the soil up and are the first ones to start the trail to turning into dust. I talked to a park ranger who told me they were trying to talk people into using something else, but weren't having much success.

4. Collette

Collette New Member

You mean trekking poles? I have a set of those. Bike trails usually aren't sketchy enough to warrant use though. I've hiked some Socal trails-Mishe Mokwa, La Jolla Canyon, the ground was rock hard, not enough for my poles to do any real damage.

5. andino

andino dirt tastes funny

Student
    o so those are what those are lol...i see those all the time on certain trails

6. PacMan

PacMan New Member

What is up with hikers using those things anyway? I guess they feel like it's part of the required gear wherever they go?

I was riding today and passed a couple who were using those--they both had 1 in each hand, on this stretch of trail:
    [​IMG]

I just don't get it #-o

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I use them when I packback. Kinda of a safety thing, after hiking all day with a heavy pack they may help you keep your ballance and give ya an extra push uphill.

I would rather see the older hikers use them than fall and hurt themselves.

Dean

8. dirttorpeedo

nnoooo i'm talking large diameter poles/sticks.they look like gofer holes ,BUT i can tell the differance.they usually leave what looks to be a huge turds,small turds w/seeds and berries in em.kinda looks like horse poop.but i dont think so.im gonna dooo some more reserch and get back to yous on this.

9. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    I use them when I packback. Kinda of a safety thing, after hiking all day with a heavy pack they may help you keep your ballance and give ya an extra push uphill.

As a hiker/backpacker with bum knees, I can assure you the Trekker-style poles have a purpose. Used properly they reduce the load on your knees by 20% - 30%.

Seeds in the poop hole huh? Old-folk-Johnny Appleseed's trying to sabbotage & plant our trails??? Scoundrals! [-X

10. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Editor, Windpower Monthly (trade magazine)
    My 2 cents...

First off, I don't think hiking poles make such a level of damage that mountain bikers should be complaining about it. Hikers are already irritated enough sharing the trails with us -- without us nit-picking about their impact, which I daresay is less than ours.

As a former backpacker I will agree that those poles serve a very useful purpose if you're carrying a load and/or if you've got to minimize the impact on your knees.

That being said, I do think it's lame seeing people all decked out with all sorts of fancy hiking gear to do simple, little day hikes when they're not carrying much weight and/or have perfectly functional knees. Of most the hikers I've seen out on the trails, I think it's more about rampant consumerism (gear-whores) than about true necessity. But aren't we gear whores too, except our gear is way cooler!? Regardless, I'm fine to leave them be about their poles, whether they need them or not.

11. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    It kinda sounds like they(not hikers) put holes in the ground to allow more water to soak in when it rains due to the lack of rain... I have seen this done on lawns before and it sounds similar to what you described above.... I could be wrong

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Dirty, about those little piles of seeds on the road, are they edible? Try some and get back to me. I think a couple handfuls will tell you if they are any good or not. Eat up and let me know how well they work out for a snack on the trails.

13. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

:clap: :lol:

yeah dirty sack!! do what he sayzz ehh!!:bang: i got One dollaa with yo name on IT!!:beer:

14. dirttorpeedo

mr freak,the ones with seed look like they cood be used as energy bars of a sort,made with twiggs and berries.mr sin kent,A DOLLER?.....well ok then .