Yep, another So. Utah RR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Reedster, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    I headed out on Thursday the 13th to meet some friends in Springdale for some riding. I met one in Apple Valley and we hopping in his van. We picked up another one in Vegas and the 4th rider was meeting us in Springdale. He called to confirm that he was there and that the beer was in the fridge waiting for us.

We got in late so Friday we started late. The weather was pretty good for the middle of November with just a light breeze. We started with a trip to Gooseberry Mesa and started out on the South Rim trail. Not to far in there was a rock that I didn't drop back in September.

I hit it first try and was feeling good.
    [​IMG]

Not too much later there was a steep drop that you could jump off or roll. I jumped it and then rolled. Then my friend Steve rolled it too. He made it, but it looks close judging by this picture.
    [​IMG]

We connected to Hidden Canyon and made a quick return to the car for an adult beverage. We then hit the Practice loop. There is a rock drop here that I hit in September. This time my foot popped out of the pedal as I took off and the bike spun a little in the air. I landed poorly and tumbled hard. Fortunately besides a bit of a ringing head I was fine. My buddy with the camera was disappointed that I hadn't waited for him to set up. Sorry Bob.

I got up and contemplated giving it another go.
    [​IMG]

I decided to go for it and had much more success, thankfully.
    [​IMG]

From there we headed over to Bowls and Ledges and some guys showed us this cool hit that rode down a little water trough and then off a 3' drop.
    [​IMG]

Do to our late start it was getting dark and we called it a day. The next day we decided to hit Little Creek Mountain. We did a big loop and then the small loop. We tried to get out to the overlook at the point, but we lost the trail. So it goes. We had a great time and enjoyed exploring around. We all agreed that we prefer Little Creek to Gooseberry. I think it was mostly due to all the cool sections where the trail snakes through the trees in addition to great rock riding and beautiful views. We didn't take many pictures. I think we were having too much fun riding.

Sunday we hit up the Swamp Creek trail right outside Springdale. It was a quick romp with some really fun stuff. Here's a shot of a technical climb at the start of the trail. I was using gears and obviously cheating. Two of the other guys were on single speeds and had an excuse. The other guy had gears and big wheels, so I don't know what his problem was. :?:
    [​IMG]

We relaxed at the trailhead with a beer and then began the long trek towards home. It always seems longer on the way back. Go figure.

~R

2. wgb

wgb New Member

Engineer
    Reed sounds like you guys had a great time. I would love to try and hit up Utah. I was in SLC last week and some friends were telling me about the sweet riding up there. We are thinking about going up there for a visit next year...I hope so :)

3. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    There is great riding in the Salt Lake Area too, but this time of year you have to stick to the lower elevation trails. I lived there for a while 18 years ago and the trails were great then. My buddy lives there now and he has shown me more and more great trails. I think it's hard to do wrong there.

Southern Utah is great as well and there is probably a month's worth of trails there if you were to hit one trail a day, maybe more. There is also a big variety of trails, so you should be able to find something for everyone.

Get out there and ride.

~R

4. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Nice RR and pictures. I'm hoping I can head out there soon.

5. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Looks like fun. I am glad you are okay. BTW, did you check your helmet for cracks????;)

6. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Thanks for the report, Reedster. Such a great area. Barely a month since we were there, and I'm already jonesing hard. Going to be a long, long winter.

7. soul rider

soul rider EMPTY V

veal in a cubicle
    please let me know when another trip is coming. i can drive, supply bikes, work on bikes, gas money whatever.
    thanks

8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I am not positive but I bet you could ride out there most of the winter. Would be cold but the elevation is not that high...wonder how much snow the Mesa's get. I know the road to Gooseberry would not be passable in the rain but Little Creek Mesa, Slickrock, and the Rims Trails would be ridable.

Dean

9. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    Well, my wife is due with our first child at the end of March, so any further roadtrips are in question at the moment. This was kind of a last hurrah with some friends.

Yea, I think you're right, but I'm mostly a fair weather guy. I've ridden there in February and with enough layers it was fine. If you like riding when it's cool and things are dry it would probably be great.

10. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    Yep, I did that before I put it back on. It had some scatches, but nothing too severe. I'll check it again and probably try to find another helmet on sale somewhere.

11. 406

406 save tunnels

thanks for the rr. I'm leaving for a week of riding in SW Utah tomorrow, hopefully the weather will be better than the forecast is claiming.

12. schleppp

schleppp Active Member

Nice RR. Makes me so jealous!

13. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

sickness!

14. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    Good luck with the weather. I've had the best luck with the Slickrock Swamp trail when the weather is bad, but your results may vary. There are topos and descriptions at: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/slikswmp.htm
    There are also descriptions for a bunch of other trails. The riding is really good all over so hopefully the weather will cooperate and you'll have a great time.

15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I agree. I like Little Creek Mesa more then Gooseberry but I can't see myself not riding them both if I'm out there. I get ask on occasion, "What's so special about UT?"
    To tell the truth there is no riding anywhere in CA that matches UT. I love that slickrock.

Why is Slickrock Swamp better to ride in bad weather?

I've rode out there every month of the year and most times it's been very comfortable and I'm like Reed, I'm a fair weather rider. But I can be found riding regardless of the conditions.

I'd go again right now if I could. Sedona is on schedule for next month though.YeeHaw!!!

16. grandpa

grandpa swollen member

shop foreman, sheetmetal
    I love riding up there. It's not that long of a drive, the lodging is inexpensive and the scenery is unbelieveable.
    Thanks for the RR.

17. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    You obviously haven't ridden SCST.

18. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Great photos and nice work with the extra credit drops. Too bad no photos from Little Creek Mesa. I've done Gooseberry a couple of times, but I want to expand. I'm driving past - yes - past St. George/Cedar City tomorrow without a bike! Ohhhh the pain, the frustration, but I want to stay married and asking my wife to sit for two hours while I ride is...is....hmmmm.

19. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    I don't know why, but the weather in Springdale and at Slickrock Swamp is better than at Gooseberry, Little Creek and St. George when it's cool or stormy. This is based on 2 trips, so it's far from scientific. I think it's lower than GB and LC and more protected than all the other places. I know that I was ready to drive home one trip due to bad weather when we hit Springdale and it was pretty nice and hit Slickrock Swamp up and it changed our weekend around.

Sedona is awesome. I need to get out there and ride again, but I'm not sure when it will happen.

-R

20. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

I have ridden SCST and it's definitely an awesome place to ride, but which parts resemble southern Utah exactly? ......:?: