XT v SLX

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by mfoga, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I have been having some issues shifting of late and thought it was just adjustments. I have trying an making no progress. I was looking and finally noticed that its actually bent. So I am looking to get a new one for the SS. I am debating between SLX and XT. Looking at shimano's site I dont see a difference really beside weight. What am I really getting with XT?

2. newpos

newpos New Member

student, car parker man
    what is bent?

3. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    SLX is jsut the new LX is what the SHimano rep at fontana told me.
    I believe it uses the hollowtech now, and is a tad lighter, but other than the name change, basically the same product, a little better is anything.

4. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

deleted

5. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I cant really tell I do know thats its angled out quite a bit. I thought it was the arm but the two pulleys seem to be aligned. I just know I cant get into the top ring in the rear and have it stay. I tried to make the cable tighter so i would pull in more that worked but then all the other gears seemed to skip. Right now its just the 2 biggest rings that seem to give me trouble.

I have heard that before but then why is there still LX group?:?: Plus LX never had shadow RD.

6. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    The shimano rep didnt sound very smart, and i honestly am confused on their new lineup.

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

deleted

8. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    FYI - I have an entire 2009 SLX (though with LX 585 disc brakeset) that will be for sale shortly at a very good price if interested, e.g., LX brakes, rest SLX level consisting of cassette, chain, shifters, front der, rear der, cranks

9. volcomsteban

volcomsteban New Member

Shmo
    $$??

10. rmb socal

rmb socal Canadian by employment

Bike pitcher
    Home Page:
    From what I was told and understood from our product managers. The LX line has been a dog on production bikes across the board. Espeically with RD, everyone usually specs Deore for low end, and then just makes the jump to XT skipping LX for the most part, because the cost between Deore, LX, XT is very small jump. I can't remember the last time is saw a bike with an LX RD in our lineup? Some LX Front Derailers, no LX shifters, etc. So Shimano is basically attempting to make LX more "attractive" to end users and bike manufacters by remaining it, and from what I was told. SLX is better then LX, its closer to 2007 XT. But other then that, I don't know a ton of details about the line. Just my 2 cents.

Here is a better explantion then I could come up with. LX+Hone=SLX
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6067

11. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I will take a look when I get back. It is a 07 XT RD.

I was thinking of going with an X9 RD since I SRAM on all the other bikes and could take the Med cage off the Aline and put a Short cage on it but would need shifters too. So getting a Med cage XT or SLX could be the better route.

Thanks Fo but I already have a new SLX crank and FD on the bike.

12. Crew Jones is RAD

Crew Jones is RAD hammer head

bikes
    or you could take it to a shop to see if your derailleur hanger is bent. there is an alignment tool at may get you fixed right up. "10 min job no new parts"

13. newpos

newpos New Member

student, car parker man
    do you have sram shifters? if so i would just go with x9 rd

14. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

I would use this as the opertunity to swithc to sram, x-9 in the rear, super short, or medium, and new pods

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Brand new Slopestyle frame so it better not be bent, (those dropouts are $$$) plus I was having some issues on my old frame but didn't seem to use those gears quite as much so didnt notice.

I have SRAM on both my 4x and DH as thats what they came with but not on this bike so the X9 RD would need new shifters too. I would go that route but I have already spent more building this as I needed to replace more parts then expected so right now I dont want to replace anymore then I need to.

16. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    well i just checked prices it out on Chainreactioncycles since that is probably as low as things get as we all know right now, and the kit came out to $555, so probably about $495 would be ok with me for the SLX cranks, cassette, shifter, chain, front der, rear shadow der, and LX 585 disc brake calipers/levers/rotors. For what its worth, same kit came to $820 at Universalcycles, not that anybody would pay that, but provided for context.

17. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    It's my understanding that Shimano is trying to market two types of MTB component groups. An "All Mountain" group, and a "Traditional" group. XTR, XT, LX, Deore and Alivio fall into the traditional group while Saint, Hone and SLX fall into the 'All Mountain" group. I think that the "All Mountain" group is supposed to be a little heavier but also a little surdier than their "Traditional" counterparts.

Can anyone confirm this?

18. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    slx is a new and improved version of hone. lighter and stiffer than hone, lighter and beefier and tougher than lx. also, the crankset is supposed to be waaay stiffer than xt, and a tad lighter too. basically a new and improved hone, utilising the weight and relialability of lx eith the technology and weight (more or less) of xt. outside reps have the recources to understand and explain the differences, but usually only follow the sell points that make $ for themselves. look, read. and compare them. the shimano site does have the answers, you just have to compare.

19. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    wow...if true, maybe the SLX group i am selling should be used for my next bike...hmmm

20. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

really ? i thought LX has been split into 2 different categories, SLX being the new LX intended for mountain abuse. SLX cranks have an avg weight of 889 grams, XT cranks have an avg of 855 ish with the BB. how can it be lighter.. good info man, very misleading LOL.