Xt lever with zee caliper

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by me and my bike, May 26, 2013.

1. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    Im running the 180 and 160 shimano ice techs. thats what I was thinking with the zee and xt setup, but I heard from a bud that it doesnt make that much of a diffrence. It does make sense to sell the xt's if I was going to go that way , but not if Kevin is lowballing me haha. Thanks for all the input guys. Im going to buy the 203 rotors cuz like decline nick and dave said it makes sense going that way if I might switch later on. Thanks again!

2. TheDecline

TheDecline New Member

Dont Forget To Check And See If You Need Adapters To Run The Bigger rotors

3. bing!

bing! Active Member

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

You always need adapters to run bigger rotors

5. TheDecline

TheDecline New Member

That's Not Totally True . I Had To Run A Bigger Rotor When I Switched My Fork. No Adapter .

6. riiz

riiz Member

But he's not switching the fork.

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

when you buy a new frame you might not need to either but what's your point?

8. me and my bike

man of many trades
  9. TheDecline

TheDecline New Member

NOT true . That's the point .

10. bing!

bing! Active Member

that deal has been in the back of my mind for the last week. my dh bike has Formula Megas. theyre ok, but a four piston set up at that price is almost too good to pass.

note though that a full icetech set up, even at that price, may cost you close to 500.

11. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Maybe this doesn't need to be said, but the search for more stopping power must include consideration of your tires and the traction they provide. Mo, forgive me if I've missed you already discussing here or in another thread your tire preferences/experiences, but these changes to your brakes won't help you stop faster if you're simply breaking loose.

On my TBLTc, the XT's work beautifully with the 180/160 rotors - even yesterday at Summit for 7 runs - but I'm not quite as big as you (~205-210 riding weight). However, having inadequate tires could negate any brake setup for any rider.

12. me and my bike

man of many trades
    Tire

Makes sense. In the front I run the Hans dampf but in the rear I run a worn down trail king. Maybe the new minion? How was the tallboy at ss by the way?

13. bing!

bing! Active Member

Personally, I do with less power in the back. I run a 160 mm rotor there just to ease up on locking the rear wheel. Too easy to do that in these here loosy goosey ball bearing gravel I ride in.

Just sayin.

14. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    I'm running the Hans Dampf on front too, and it's awesome - perfect front for Summit IMO. It has so much traction, I might be able to brake into an endo before it breaks loose. My rear is a very worn Nobby Nic, but it worked. The Tallboy LT was great on Miracle Mile and Cruiser, but it seems I've been running the rear shock with a bit too much pressure/too little sag, as I was leaving about 1-1.5" of rear travel unused. Still, it performed quite well for me.

As for braking, especially at a place like Summit, I found that less was more - the more I rode the brakes, the harder it was to navigate the runs. I think I would have to agree with others about trying out a larger rotor before deciding if you're under-braked.

15. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

I ran the Hans dampf on both front and rear and it didn't grip as well as I thought it would I went back to minion dhf Exo front and rear and my traction is back. Worked very well at summit even when it got loose

16. me and my bike

man of many trades
    So brakes are being bled, and a 203 is going up front with my 180 being pushed to the rear. New rear tire too. Only thing i havent changed is my resin pads too metalic ( i wanna see how much of a diffrence this makes). If it doesn't work, zee's are on deck. Snow summit here I come!

17. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    were gonna start a bidding war on those xt's if you get rid of em...anyting is better than my old elixer/avids.

18. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Good luck with the set up Mo.. I will agree with proraptor on a couple of the comments.. I have Saints and the 4 piston power is amazing and I am a big rider on a 36lb bike.. in addition, the tires are a huge factor.. I don't have personal experience with the Hans Dampf (heard great things) but running the Minion DHF EXO front and rear as I do, I can't imagine anything hooking up much better.. look fwd to seeing up in BB soon.. Jim

19. asphaltsucks

asphaltsucks New Member

I run 203 rotors front and back with metallic pads on my XTs and I have no issues with stopping power. I am running Hans Damf front and rear. Switch to metallic pads, they make all the difference with the bigger rotors. No issues with 9 runs at Summit last weekend and that included Fall Line.

20. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    A bigger rotor makes a huge difference, I used to use 6 inch rotors and they did the job, but once I put on 8's in the front and 7's in the rear they could almost stop on a dime using Formula Oro brakes. I weigh in fully geared up around 240 so if you weigh less than me you should get alot better braking.

I also used the original Shimano 755 XT 4 piston calipers years ago and they worked great.