Xt lever with zee caliper

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by me and my bike, May 26, 2013.

1. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    So I demoed a pair of xo trails and was blown away by the stopping power of the 4 piston setup and then I was blown away with the price. A bud told me I could use my xt levers and get some zee calipers and make a ghetto 4 piston brake setup and save some dough. Any thoughts or experiences? Will the stopping power still be noticeabley increased? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
  2. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Why wouldn't you just upgrade the entire brakes, only difference in levers I can think of is the tool less reach.

3. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Dont give up on the Xt's just yet MO! As you know, I run mine 203mm / 185mm with Hope Mono mini M4 rotors and Shimano's XT/XTR Sintered metalic pads... I just did a full bleed, de-glazing of the rotors and installed new pads. If you bed them right, you can 1-finger OTB (which you're already PRO at) Come by and try mine now and you'll want to keep yours. :bang:

4. me and my bike

man of many trades
    From what I've seen it'd save me 100 to 150 dollars that could be used on drugs and other college related items haha

U think so? Ill try to swing by tonight or tmrw and give them a go. Maybe u can change my mind! Should I bring the happy ending ?

5. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

I'd definitely try + sizing the rotor before a whole new brake system.

If this is the stock brake system from your tallboy I would also try switching to metallic pads too if you want more stopping power.

6. TheDecline

TheDecline New Member

A Good Brake Bleed Can Make A Big difference . I Don't Know If You DO The Kind Of Riding That You Need A 4 Piston Brake . I Run Xt And I Stop Fine With Them But Im Smaller Than You .

7. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    I run the XTr trails, and I use my brakes more than the pedals! They worked great at El moro, oaks, whiting and bommer canyon all last week! Trust me, a good rotor / size / bleed is ALL you need! and I'm bigger than all y'all! :lol: Stop by after 6pm.!

8. me and my bike

man of many trades
    If it helps I weigh 250 and ride a 29 er. I guess the rotors will help , but wouldn't u feel more power without losing modulation with the 4 piston. Those 29ers pick up a lot of speed fast!

9. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Not yours... LOL Honestly, I believe the xt's are the perfect blend. I felt that the saint 4pistons I had for a little while had more stopping power over a long deration. I agree with Nick that you don't ride a style that would justify 4piston setup. Try mine before you pull the trigger. If you don't like it, I'll buy your XT's for $50.

10. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Mo, what size rotors were on the XO 4 piston bike you demo'd and liked so much? And what size rotors are you running on your bike? Like others said I'd suggest to go 203 front 180 rear if you haven't already... if that doesn't do it you can always go to zee.
    I think you run 6 bolt rotors on your hubs, but if you run centerlock let me know I've got a 203 and 180 icetek CL I'm not using.

11. me and my bike

man of many trades
    Ill definitely give them a try . The other bike hady rotors though. I wishi had center lock or I would take u up. We need to ride as soon as ur healed bud!

I'm raising the price just because u low balled me haha

12. riiz

riiz Member

Go with larger rotors first, especially if you're gonna hit up Snow Summit this summer.

13. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    I'll bleed em for ya too! I bought all the shop stuff to do it!

14. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

XT's work fine on my hardtail riding but not on my nomad. I went with the new saints and couldnt be any happier.

15. me and my bike

man of many trades
    Lots of comments on rotors size and bleeds but not one about the pros and cons of the 4 piston set up?

16. TheDecline

TheDecline New Member

Cons Are $$$$ pros Are That They Will Stop On A Dime . Its About If You Can Justify The Cost For The Type Of Riding You Do . If You Habent Tried Pads And Rotors Yet Id Do That First Since Youll Probably Upgrade Them If You Went With New Brakes Anyway And See If That Satisfies You

17. me and my bike

man of many trades
    And I'm going to have to disagree there. For a 250 lb rider on a 29er on some of the Laguna trails I think it could be justified

18. TheDecline

TheDecline New Member

It Could Be Justified ...... If You Started Going Fast Downhill.

19. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

What Nick and Kevin Said (about make sure you need 4 piston before making the $ jump). And, 4 piston calipers have bigger pads and the whole systems weighs a little more. Usually you see the 4 pots paired with the 203 discs, the larger discs can cool better with the added clamping force of the 4 pot/bigger pads, and the bigger discs give better power/leverage regardless of caliper. But the logical progression, go to big discs first, if that isn't enough then go to 4 piston. I wouldn't go 4 piston on 180 rotors before trying 203 rotors with 2 piston, you may not need the 4 pistons.

Not trying to talk you out of anything, I'm nowhere near your weight and on 26" so can't tell you what you need, proraptor and eatsrice can help you more there. But best if you try it and decide for yourself. Good luck, see you in July!:wave:
    Dave

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

What rotors are you running? Size and type?

My reasoning of going full Zee vs hybrid, is it my understanding the internals are different allowing more pressure to the calipers (help push 4 pistons vs 2 pistons). They might work but not to full potential. I don't know prices but it would seem you could buy set of zee and sell the XT for about the same out of pocket as you would have buying Zee caliper and having XT calipers laying around(even if you sold the