XT Brakes

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by davidB, Jan 23, 2009.

1. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I installed the Goodridge lines on my SlopeStyle. Other than that those lines are surpisingly heavy, I didn't notice a worthwhile difference in lever feel or performance.

2. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

If you don't mind me really abusing your nice new bike, I could get an idea. ;) :lol:

I can't really feel how well a brake works until its tortured (i.e., borderline cooking rotors), and in order to do that, I'd need the whole bike set up for me.

But realistically, I have no doubt that the Elixir brakes perform very well. I liked the Juicy 7s and I liked the Codes. And since the Elixirs are said to be right in between those two, I'm sure they are comparable to the XTs.

3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Its not to nice and new anymore. I leaned it up wall and yep its already scratched it . I heard the paint was thin but wow.

4. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Glad you're getting it broken in well. :clap:

And yeah, that stealth black is thin and not very durable. The other colors are better, though.

5. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Yeah... the difference in expansion or bulging in the lines is negligible between the 2 lines....

6. thephat

thephat Active Member

Those are great, the new 775 ones are seemingly better.

I don' think you can beat Shimano brakes for lever feel, modulation, smoothness etc. They seem to be the best bet for a quiet experience too. The XTR models definitely are not for big guys, or agressive riders. The kind of testing Lee is talking about may favor something with DOT fluid like Avid, but the XT brake is pretty difficult to cook.

7. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

I just went on my first ride with XT brakes. Modulation on these brakes is insane. Well insane compared to the Hayes HFX-9's I was running before.

8. thephat

thephat Active Member

How was that ride with Maxwell today? I was gonna go, but ended up spending the day with the family.

9. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    Awesome. Well, at least I think so. Look for a RR soon.

10. HAB

HAB New Member

The newer shimano stuff is quite impressive. I don't like them quite as well as my Formula The Ones, because they don't have quite as nice a lever feel IMO (too short a throw), and aren't quite as powerful. Very, very good brakes though.

11. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

It was great. Sycamore is a blast. It will definitely be on my list to ride when all the parks in OC are closed or if it is just a tad cold in general.

12. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Huh, I rode both the formulas and the XT's when looking for new brakes and the XT's were a far superior brake to the formulas in every respect, this is in fact the second set of formulas I've ridden and I was unimpressed with both, hate the lever actuation also. I ended up going with Elixirs on the new bike because they were the best all around product in terms of weight (lightest of the three), price (cheapest of the three) and performance (better than Formulas but not quite as good as XT's).