XC or AM... what is my style?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by TucknRoll, Sep 13, 2007.

1. TucknRoll

TucknRoll n00b of jumping

IT
    I mainly ride for single track. 5-20 miles rides. Of course I will run into some monster hills, monster climbs and little jumps along the way. I don't do big jumps, I save my balls for trying not to go over my handle bars during single track descents where roads cease to exist.

So far the XC I'm looking at is the... 2007 Mongoose Canaan Elite
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23849&subcategory_ID=3050
    [​IMG]

The AM I'm looking at is the... 2007 IBEX Atlas Expert
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-EXP-Details.html
    [​IMG]

The specs on both bikes are great. What style do you think I would enjoy the most? I am torn in between them both.

2. CeeDubb

CeeDubb 9.8m/secĀ² - It's the law

Replay Timing
    Home Page:
    Just ride 'em. 9 times out of 10 the ride will make your decision clear.

I'm partial to the Epic. There's something to be said when you go to the race and about a third of the bikes there have "Epic" written across the tubing...

But if you're steering toward AM then you would probably want something a little more plush.

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

I agree with CD, ride them both and one will feel better and call you out more than the other.

4. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

The problem is.....

the Ibex is mail order only (no stores). I would ride several bikes and see what you like. If you want a more "all around bike" make sure you get one with an adjustable travel fork. For long cc rides put some skinny tires on and lower the fork. For more trail rides put on some beefy tires and increase the travel.

Check the reviews on MTBR and good luck:)

5. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Agree

however this my definition of an XC bike:);)

Attached Files:

• Sir9.JPG
      Sir9.JPG
      File size:
      360.5 KB
      Views:
  6. sandblast

sandblast One less 29er

Buisness phone systems
    I say the Mongoose, you don't need that much travel. Climbing with a heavy bike sucks.

7. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    But descending is twice as much fun :bang:

Never underestimate the power of purchasing a bike locally where you can go in get service, ask questions, and get some easy quick help when you need it. Shops will do maintenance, but they may be slightly more inclined to charge less and get small things done more quickly when you purchase a bike from them.

:beer:

8. guero

guero iFroth

allison has a great point...i would shy away from the iBex since you cant take it for a test spin...

here is my xc bike:
    [​IMG]

9. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Lbs

I am with you:bang: The Path did me a HUGE favor yesderday. However it cost me the shop labor (Tani is tough) and a case of Belgium lager#-o:beer::lol:

10. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    haha! There are worse things in life than paying a bit for labor and giving up some beer.

They all like IPA in there also :D

11. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Ipa

I am trying to expand their choices / taste :lol:

But then again I drink New Castle or Guinness 90 % of the time:) I guess we like what we like

12. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Your new bike?
    VQ 4 U?

13. guero

guero iFroth

scheck, im gonna sign up for the CC this year :bang:
    mech, the suspense was killing me, i had to come out of the closet :lol:

14. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    I own an Ibex Asta Comp X7. It's a great XC bike with moderate AM capabilities. If you ever want to take it for a test spin, just let me know. I live right next to Chino Hills State Park, so you can hit the dirt pretty easily.

I bought my Ibex online (obviously) and have had nothing but great experiences with local bike shops (mainly JensonUSA in Corona). They are not arrogant and don't treat my bike any differently than the bikes bought from their shop. I get outstanding service, speed, and quality work when I need. The only difference is that bikes bought from a local shop usually get free repairs for a year or so and lifetime adjusts (DRs, brakes, etc). I have to pay for all of this.

The alternative that I was considering versus my Ibex was a Rocky Mountain Element 10, which at the time about $1500 on sale. My Ibex Asta Comp was $1000. I saved $500, so even paying for LBS service wouldn't merit buying locally, on the surface at least. I even went to Jenson in Corona with a print out of the bike specs in hand and asked if they had something comparable in price and components. I really wanted to buy from them if I could. I've spent about $40 on various services to dial the bike in. Some of it also helped me learn to wrench on my own bike like adjusting my brakes, etc.

That said, I don't think I would ever buy another bike on the internet. Everything about my experience with Ibex has been great. The only service issue was a seat post quick release that sucked. They sent me a new one quickly with no questions asked. Service is great, but it ain't local (Ibex is in Georgia).

I think I got lucky picking a bike with standard geometry and spec that is much like other bikes out there and I am an easy size to fit. But now that I am advancing in my riding skills and feel, I couldn't buy a bike I have not test ridden. Ibex makes great bikes, but I think they should consider LBS representation to expand their business.

I also appreciate the local service that JensonUSA gives. They get most of my business for bike related stuff, and they know it. Guys at the Corona shop have told me that they like giving great service to any bike, no matter the source, because it is good for their all around business winning loyal customers for other purchases.

Do what's best for you, but that is just my experience. Sorry for the long post.

15. TwoLeggedHorse

TwoLeggedHorse New Member

student
    TrucknRoll

I was just in the same predicament as you. Try reading my thread called "XC Dilemma". Anyways, I thought I wanted a XC bike, but thought about the advantages of an AM bike. Just think, if you go all mountain you can do more things plus cross country stuff. XC really limits things. Riding XC, you might feel left out from the group if your buddies are doing bigger things. Weight was an issue with me, but you can only get stronger. If your bike weighs a little more, then your muscles will only grow a little more. Try considering an AM bike like the Kona Dawg, Rocky Mountain ETSX, or the Giant Trance X. 5 inches of travel instead of 4 inches can make a big difference. Also, a strong frame is a must.

16. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

yeah well you know what they say....

once a huckler, always a huckler. :lol:

17. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Sweet dude.

Looks like VQ/CC is gonna sell out in about an hour this year!

18. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

wthuck?

in regards to the bike, dogonfr on mtbr rides an atlas and i think he has it weighing around 29-30lb. not bad for a semi budget build. i would pick up the frame and do some smart shopping to keep things on a budget while still getting light/quality parts.

19. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    dogonfr is one of the many Ibex evangelists on MTBR. I didn't know he went sub-30 lbs though.

For the price, the Atlas build is tough to beat. There certainly are better components out there, but not in the same price range.