XC Bike on a bit of a budget...

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jman, Jan 5, 2008.

1. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

damn Carl, you are really trying to share the kool aid now eh

2. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Don't worry Nam. You're next. Aren't you already half way there already with your 69er?

3. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    I'm not sure what size you're looking for, but at The Path today I saw a 2006 Kona Kikapu size 19 or 20" and I believe the price is under $900. They also had a couple of The Kings, and I believe a King Delux, all "06-"07 they would probably let go at a great price. You should swing by there on Monday.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

My L '08 Fisher Paragon 29er was 26 lbs outta the box. Retail $1699.

5. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    Are you only looking to buy a complete bike?

If you have the time & patience, buying a frame and adding the components you want may be a way to go.

I have an '06 Kona Kikapu that I built up for around $1600. The frame was ridiculously on-sale from WheelWorld (thanks for the heads up, Waldo) and the components are a mix of things from my old KHS hardtail and others that I have upgraded along the way.

An out-the-door Kikapu (like the one at the Path) is around $900 with reasonable, but not great, components. I'm actually pretty proud of the deal-hunting I did to build up the perfect bike for me. Comparably equipped bikes to mine would easily run over $2200. I just waited for good deals on things like Avid mechanicals, SRAM derailleurs, Truvativ Stylo cranks, etc. Plus (and I have mentioned this many times before), the bike feels like its mine--it's my baby that I pieced together (though it has seen a lot less trails since I got the SS 29er).

Granted, it took 6 months of hunting. If you have the time & inclination, I would HIGHLY recommend going the build-it-yourself route.

6. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Kona

makes nice stuff.:bang:

go used. Lot's of great used light bikes out there at the price range:)

7. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Lot of good options. Here's another one: IBEX Asta Expert X9 for $1400. I bought my IBEX online and I have been happy with it. I can't say I would buy another bike online sight unseen, but this allowed we to extend my budget and get a pretty standard single pivot full suspension design at a good price with a good spec. Not the lightest XC build, but that's the balance of price vs performance.

I have a medium 2007 Asta if you ever want to size it up or take it for a spin. I'm right here in Chino Hills, so only 45 minutes away from you.

There's also the HT Trophy Pro for $1300. It's a great build, All XT, Shadow RD, Juicy 7s for fair price, and 24.5 lbs.

8. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Thanks BM

A riding bud picked up an IBEX and I was impressed with the vaule you get with those bikes:bang:

9. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Yeah. I was impressed too but this was my first MTB. Their Section-29 is just not enough bike for me to consider as my HT 29er. BTW, I still need to borrow something from you when this rain stops.

10. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Sure thing

I have a brand new SS in the garage that has not seen dirt yet#-o

Last years Section-29 was a sweet deal. Came with a Reba for under a G. This year they went with the Tora#-o

11. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I did not see Redline Bikes on your list. Very hard to beat for the price. No the lightest but very solid bikes. Ask Jose and Cid.

Dean

12. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Be very careful of the 29er Kool-Aide...you may suffer by beign stuck with a non-responsive and dead-feeling bike. It may go over some obstacles better, but that's about it.

Attached Files:

13. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Lol

"you may suffer by beign stuck with a non-responsive and dead-feeling bike"

Now that is funny:lol:

Got'a use the word "flickable" next time. As in 29'ers are not flickable (I love that one);)

14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

True. Good point. 29ers are not nearly as flickable as a 26er. But that really only applies to those who ride aggressively. 29ers are good for those who ride a lot more passively.

I knew this would get DeeZee's interest. :lol:

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Not so sure about that.......my 29er w/ 80mm handled Joplin better than my 26" w/ 130mm did.:-k

16. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

:lol:#-o:-s

Makes sense since 29'ers are only good for SS'ing and if you are over 7' tall;)

17. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    Ok I know you guys are joking around but seriously are there any limitations to a 29er? I know much of the rumors are fairly exagerated, so set it straight. I'm also wondering if the 29er thang is just a fad and in say 2 years 29er owners will be in the dark with out any fork support or any more wheels being manufacturered.

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I plan on heading out on Tuesday and doing some driving around and testing some stuff out. The Ibex looks interesting but I'm not sure I would be super excited to buy a bike I couldn't at least put my hands on.

Someone suggested doing a build but I'm not the most techinical guy in the world...nor, to be honest, the most patient. I'm thinking though that it may be time for a trip to the OC mecca of THE PATH! If they have those kind of deals than I may just have to swallow the drive and check it out. (It'll suck if I need warranty work or maintenance but a good deal might be worth it).

Now I'm going to go surf a bit and look at the ideas everyone has thrown out. Right now I'm torn between that Giant, the Felt, and a Niner that Rob told me about through PM. Those Kona's are interesting so I'll check them out as well. Thanks again everyone.

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

And the best DH pros in the world can basically ride any bike they want, and we're not seeing a huge influx of 29ers there yet. Nor are we seeing anyone racing a 29er in 4X. Both of these disciplines require a bike that is agile (escuse me, flickable :lol: ), durable, and that can go over all kinds of objects well. Oh, and they must be "fast." I guess it's because there aren't many 7' tall DH or 4X racers.;)

I don't really follow XC racing, but are there many 29ers in front of the premier classes? If not, why not?

Good points. As it is, 29ers are left out in the cold with very limited quality parts available. On top of that, the whole design is flawed because they use the same hub width as bicycles with considerably smaller wheels. This is why the wheels on 29ers are inherently weaker. That's not even arguable. Until some company changes the standards to offer wider front and rear wheels, the durability aspect of 29ers will always be compromised.

With wider hubs, and therefor heavier, the 29er will still be less flickable than a 26er (moreso than it is now).

19. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I don't care what the pros are using for XC. Pretty much they don't care either, as long as the get paid to race they race on whoever sponsors them.

On the sport/expert scene for guys who have to pay for their own rigs, the 29'ers are everywhere.

Btw, if you read Dirtrag, pro racer Adam Craig who rides a 26" carbon FS for Giant was asked by Dirtrag few years ago what kind of mountain bike he would choose. Steel, 29" Singlespeed, with hydro disc brakes.

Hey everything has it's +'s/-'s. Just for me I felt stronger climbing SS on a 29'er and more stable at speed going downhill. I'm pretty much a huck free XC guy.

You can go ahead and keep telling me how much it's a fad and hype. Just like singlespeeding. It doesn't make sense, you should be faster around the track with gears. But Lee, I'm just gonna enjoy riding my 29 for now.

20. katonk

katonk .

Holy thread jack! I don't understand why you would want increase the rotational weight of your bike. This is why 29ers make no sense to me. Rotational weight is way more evil than normal weight. Can some one loan me a clue?