XC Bike on a bit of a budget...

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jman, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    Wow bikes are expensive. After much soul searching and bit of reality check I've pretty much settled on looking into an XC bike to compliment the Heckler. I've spent mucho time on-line checking out the various manufacturers. I've been to Specialized (man they're expensive), Gary Fisher, Trek, Cannondale, Turner (even more expensive), Santa Cruz, and Intense. They all have great bikes but I'm wondering what else is out there. I know I haven't looked at Haro but it seems like many of the bike makers are looking strictly at the AM or FR of the industry. It's a little frustrating when looking for something else.

Ultimately what I'm looking at is a bike that will ride much faster than the heckler, and wouldn't be totally out of place on the street as I transition from dirt road to dirt road. I'm thinking that this summer I'll probably try to commute to work a couple of days out the week as well. A HT isn't out of the question but it seems odd to buy a second HT (my other one is built up with mostly DH parts). I'm trying to find some of the power and speed that I have on the road bike in a mtn bike.

I'm looking at around $1500. Bikes at this level have mostly deore parts and I'm wondering just how good they are. I know XT are decent but have no experience with the lower deore kit.

I know that this is long winded and that I've been bakc and forth on bikes lately but any suggestions, directions or other ideas would be much appreciated. Also any companies I've forgotten. I'm really willing to drive anywhere as the LBS are Specialized dealers and not much else. Cannondale and SC have local dealers and the Superlight is obviously a good option but I've had an SC for a long time and don't wanna pass up other options just due to brand loyalty. Thanks for any help I appreciate your experiences and knowledge.
    :beer:

2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Locally there's ie Bikes (Specialized, Felt, they also carry Niner, but not usually in stock, etc.), Cycopath (Trek, GF), Red Hawk (Specialized, Cannondale, Giant).

I'd also suggest if you have time you take a road trip over to the Path in Tustin. They may still have some 07's they are looking to clear out.

If that doesn't work out, you can check out probably Jamis bikes through JensonUSA, Giant bikes from Adrenaline and maybe WheelWorld.. The Path and WheelWorld also have Kona. I remember a few weeks ago Kona The King's were on sale pretty cheap, but I think it was frame/shock only (not built up).

For $1500 you may just want to stick with a HT bike, though. You won't find much with nicer/lighter suspension in that price point for a FS.

3. PacMan

PacMan New Member

+1 on sticking with a HT for the price range you are looking at. I still say some $$ into the Heckler and it could be built up a bit lighter and really fly. I'm pretty sure your Heckler is sitting at just under 29 lbs now. If you went with lighter wheels and such like we talked about, you could drop another couple pounds.

However, the Heckler wasn't really designed to be a light weight XC rig. So, with $1500 you can get a really awesome HT, definitely in the under 25 pound range. That would be more practical for a sometime commuter and lightweight XC machine.

4. Jman

Home Page:
    I'm starting to Agree with you Allison. Redhawk is my usual LBS since Back Alley is pure crude now (RIP Ken!) The Superlight SC build is 1699 but the parts are on the lower side while a HT would have better parts. It's really a tough choice and I will be doing a bit o' travelling this week to shop around. I guess the real question comes down to components vs. frame. I can get a good frame with lower end components or a okay frame with higher end components. Both can be replaced and after looking at fork prices and wheel set prices I think a frame may be the cheaper thing to replace! $700 for a new Fox fork!!!!!! whew that almost took my breath away when I read it!
    #-o

5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    What are the components on that build? (Incl wheels, fork, shock, etc)

6. Jman

Home Page:
    However, the Heckler wasn't really designed to be a light weight XC rig. So, with $1500 you can get a really awesome HT, definitely in the under 25 pound range. That would be more practical for a sometime commuter and lightweight XC machine.[/quote]

I really dug your ideas and am still planning on replacing the rear 2.3 tire with a 2.1 tire but after riding this local trail the other day I decided I really like the Heckler the way it is...a long legged AM machine that will still be used like 80% of the time, which left me with a desire for a more true blue XC machine. Any ideas on a good HT? I'm not sure the wife would understand a 2nd Chameleon in the house! ;) Even if it is built up with pure XC goodness.

7. Jman

Home Page:
    Here's the list of parts straight from the SC web page. THe fork is a Tora 318 Solo Air.

REAR DER Shimano M772 SGS (XT) FRONT DER Shimano M580A (LX) SHIFTERS Shimano M530 (Deore) CRANKSET Shimano M532 22/32/44 (Deore) BOTTOM BRACKET Included w/ crankset CASSETTE Shimano HG 50, 11-34 (Deore) CHAIN Shimano HG 53 (LX) BRAKES Avid Juicy 3 w/160mm rotors BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 3 BARS Race Face Rde XC low rise STEM TruVativ XR 3D, 25.4mm GRIPS Lizard Skin Logo HEADSET Dia Compe HS0218 SEAT POST Race Face Ride XC SADDLE WTB Rocket V Comp WHEELS Mavic Crossride Disc, black TIRES Kenda Nevegal 2.1 wire TUBES Kenda SuperLite

8. PacMan

PacMan New Member

You know, you may want to look at Bicycle Warehouse and check out the '08 Giant Trance's. The Trance 2 goes for under $1200, so the Trance 1 may not be too far above your budget. It's worth a shot I think.

Also, this just occurred to me--did you ever think about a 29er?? Bicycle Warehouse carries Felt bikes and their Niner Elite HT is a SICK bike with a pretty good spec that's right at your price range: http://bicyclewarehouse.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=8729

I almost bought one but couldn't swing the cash at the time.

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    The Stumpy HT is a better build than that... I looked at the Giant Alliance XTC, but it didn't seem that great either.

ie carries Felt also (or, they used to), so you could check it out locally. Er, there's a BW in Temecula also.

Anyway, check out the weight, though. They always felt heavy to me.

10. PacMan

PacMan New Member

That's not the greatest spec, but it's not too bad either.

11. Jman

Home Page:
    Hmmm I saw a Felt at IE the other day, it was a pretty nice looking bike with the 29er Reba on it I believe. I think I'll go back and look at it again. Allison didn't you say you race on a 29er? Also any experience with the craze of doing a...69er I guess, you know the 26 in the back 29 in the front? I think Fisher or Giant does one like that but not sure about price.

Also for those who ride 29ers, do you have any problem with your feet hitting the front tire. I did a little parking lot ride on one (it was the steel KHS I believe) and I kept hitting the tire with my toes. Is this just something you get used to and adjust to. I know the bike wasn't nessecarily set up for me so that may have been a problem too. J/c.

12. katonk

katonk .

It may be possible to get a deal on a Trance X2.

13. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    If you can stretch the budget a few more $$. I've seen this bike at the Path, and it's quite nice.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33590

[​IMG]
    I have a 29er Unit, and the Kona geometry is sweet. This frame can be run as a singlespeed too.
    http://www.konaworld.com/08_kula29_w.htm
    [​IMG]

Raleigh. Steel, REBA fork. Avid Discs. SRAM X7.
    http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=11&itemid=393
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Redline D660. Wow this looks very SWEET! MTBr says $1399 msrp.
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/d660.html
    [​IMG]

$800. But I think this is 30lbs. off the rack.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_08.htm

[​IMG]

14. Jman

Home Page:
    According to the website they have a 07 Trance 1 for 1700 which might be doable. It has a pretty good kit spec as well, but I notice that the suspension design changed from 07 to 08 anyone know why? Thanks for all of the great ideas folks I really appreciate it.

What's a decent weight range for a 29er?

15. Edog

Edog Member

16. Collette

Collette New Member

17. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

18. katonk

katonk .

That's a pretty killer bike for 1700.

They've changed the suspension slightly every year. I encourage you (and everyone else) to at least try out the Maestro suspension.

19. PacMan

PacMan New Member

They changed up the Maestro design on all their '08 bikes, except for the Reign X. It's still the same bike in '08 as in '07, just sexier. Maybe a little bit lighter and stiffer too, but I'm not sure.

20. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider

At your price point I'm guessing that most FS rigs are going to be 29-30lbs. 29'ers, well really depends on the wheels that they put on these bikes. If it's reasonable set I don't see why these should be around 28lbs. or less. Besides, the $800 Motobecane which I've read is 30lbs. stock.

For racing, I think a 29 hardtail will climb better for most XC races out there. Hardtail will sprint out of the saddle better too. The 29 wheels with the long chainstays are really stable at speed too. Sorry, I just drank the 29 kool aid and I'm now a convert.

Anyways, working with a $1500 budget for a new bike, I say 29 hardtail for a XC race bike.