WTF? Who f'ed up Waterworks in RSM?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by KeepsWhatHappens, Nov 17, 2008.

1. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Just a head's up.

Petitions in these situations don't really work, because there are already processes in place to have trails added to a system.

Sometimes depending on the area, trails are not allowed, but I don't know the actual case in either area for certain.

If it is the County property, start with them and find out the process to follow, but know that they do take time.

If the Ladera Property is the Chiquita TCA property, from my understanding, there was never any legal public access and the protection processes that the area is managed under has no public access allowed except for a few guided hikes per year to view the restoration sites.

Just start doing research to find out the proper processes to possibly get the trail added.

I know sometimes it is a long haul, but it is worth it in the long run to have a fully legal and accepted trail instead of a questionable one.

Plus we still have a ton of other trails to ride in the mean time until the logistics get worked out.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks!

2. OTB_again

OTB_again Hophead

Wireless site development
    John, that's a good start. I'm all in for getting involved with this.
    Eric

3. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    Yes, the "Private Property - No Trespassing Signs" are going up on Ladera Ridge. I rode past the one at the entrance on Oso just west of Tesoro HS today. I expect to see them popping up along that trail any day now along with Waterworks.

Interesting comment though about the CHP officer knowing nothing about it. OC Sheriff's Dept perhaps?

This is nuts. Chiquita Ridge was my favorite local trial-gone. Ladera Ridge/Waterworks was next - now that's close to being gone. I wonder what's really driving this? The property probably hasn't changed ownership recently so something has caused the authorities to all of a sudden start posting signs and writing citations.

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    The pendulum swings back and forth. They tighten up...they post signs, someone comes along and tears signs down. To me it is really sad to close neighborhood trails that have been used for years. Bikers are not the only ones that use them. How are the neighborhood kids suppose to get in and out of the Arroyo...drive their cars to Caspers? But such is the state of access affairs living in a high density area like Orange County...I have given up long ago. If policies made sense, had procedure for average people to be heard, but to seemingly arbitrarily close trails is just wrong...what is the harm of having trails in a nearly fully developed area. The pristine wilderness was lost in the 1800's. Let the people enjoy what little nature is left out there.

Good news is: gas is cheap and San Gabs are close.

Dean

5. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    True! I need to get to the San Gabes. It's been years.

6. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    Ya and theres very few places to BMX in OC. Where are the RSM and Ladera kids gonna BMX now?

7. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

I've always found it very frustrating that "public" county owned land is off limits to the public. WTF are we saving it for? Do we have to keep it nice for the developers that will eventually develop all of Orange County????? I've lived in OC for 35 years and all I've seen is more and more canyons and hillsides turned in to boring strip malls and giant houses. The least they can do is let us enjoy "our" land until they officially destroy it.

JAMR does have several good points. As much as I'd love to just sit and stew about it and break down fences and build illegal trails, the ONLY way the county will do anything is through a long organized battle. Then, maybe, we can see a couple of trails re-opened.

I'm not sure where to start, but if someone else is getting the process started I'll jump in and help.

Have they torn anything down North of Oso on the Antonio side? I don't want to say specifically where, but hopefully someone knows where I'm talking about.

8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Reading again what I wrote and what I know about Orange County the only way they would listen to us is if we agreed to make the trail "Toll Trails". and have transponders on our bikes. I bet they would listen to us then! It is known that in this county the ones with money get what they want. Concerns for the wilderness, wildlife, erosion can take a backseat.

Dean

Support the Toll Trail

9. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams

Now that's some funny shit! All to true. Sad really.

10. OTB_again

OTB_again Hophead

WW / Ladera Ridge update

Rode Waterworks and Ladera Ridge today with no problems. As stated above, the BMX jumps are toast but all the trash that was in this area was also cleaned up. That was nice. I attached the shopping cart to my seatpost with a bungee cord and pulled it out behind me. Well, not really, but I did remove it from the singletrack.

Also, not sure which trail closure signs on Ladera Ridge "dfioc" was referring to in his/her previous post but there is NO sign posted at the singletrack entrance to Ladera Ridge on the south side of Oso. For now anyway. We need to hope the toll road isn't eventually approved, because if it is, it will blow right thru this area and you can bet it will be closed then.

Anyway, good news for now, and ride on my friends.

11. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    The sign was there Thurs and Fri. Someone must have removed it much like the fencing and barbed wire that can disappear along Chiquita from time to time...

I rode Waterworks today as well and noticed the orange cones around the BMX area. It was cleaned up like you said and that was nice.

12. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Maintanance good
    Sanitation bad

13. OTB_again

OTB_again Hophead

dfioc, just curious, can you tell me what type of sign it was? One of those skinny tall bendy ones maybe? Just so I can know which tools to carry in my pack...kidding of course!

By the way, I'm a BIG Duck fan this week...us SC guys need em to beat the beavs and knock us into the Rose Bowl (and SC must take care of the bruins obviously). Go Ducks!