WTF? Who f'ed up Waterworks in RSM?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by KeepsWhatHappens, Nov 17, 2008.

1. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Between today and Saturday someone took out the bridge on Waterworks trail. :?: It's still nearby, just not where it used to be. I didn't want to put it back in place and have someone think it's stable, when it likely won't be replaced without proper tools.

On top of that, probably the same morons took a shovel to the lip of the jumps down in the trees and trashed them and deposited the debris all over the trail.

I also noticed the connector trail that goes behind the Santa Margarita Water District building was made to "not look like a trail" by scattering plant debris, sticks, etc all over it. Nice.

My guess is the SMWD is behind these actions. :?:

Maybe some industrious kind mountain bikers can put things back the way they were? I'd do it myself, but I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow for a week.

2. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    John, I am riding there Thursday, I will do some trail maintance. Enjoy your vaca.

:bang:

3. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

we were there sunday mid-morning John and the bridge was still there and intact this must have happened today then?

4. Magna_Graecia

Magna_Graecia Tapia Bunny Slayer

Translator, Monkey Boy
    Damn... That was the very first trail I ever rode. It's a shame that someone would go out of their way to trash it.

5. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    There have been some BMX kids lurking in the area lately I would bet money it was them. I am going to ride in the morning I will post if I notice anything.

6. Elisheva

Elisheva New Member

counterterrorism
    Leading Kristine's ride there on Wed. We'll try to do what we can as we ride through.

7. kentonn

kentonn Rage against the Mods

S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S.
    Protecting you from yourself.

That trail was too dangerous so we closed it.

8. bdegroodt

bdegroodt Juñior Member

Home Page:
    Lame. I was just on that section on Thursday thinking how cool of a little strip it is and how grateful I am to have it in my back yard.

Doubt it was BMXers. Seems like a BMX heaven to me.

Anyway, I'm around this whole week if anyone wants an extra hand for labor. I'm no talent when it comes to building trails, but I'm happy to shovel etc. PM me.

I hope the doll head isn't gone. I always wanted to take a photo of that thing.

9. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    I dropped down this today and also noticed the bridge being gone. It looked like someone had taken an axe or sledgehammer to it; it was all broken up and laying in the drainage swale. Then, when I came to the jumps underneath the trees where the BMX area is, I hear someone yelling at me. I slow down and notice this man about 50 with a shovel taking large chunks of the ramps out and depositing them in the middle of the trail. He was yelling at me to watch out for the loads of dirt he was throwing with the shovel. I didn't notice whether he was wearing a uniform or not, but definitely someone is messing with this trail and it appears they're trying to make it unrideable in places.

WTF is up with that?

10. KeepsWhatHappens

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Unfortunately he doll head is long gone. I put that up some time ago to cover up a nasty stick protruding up out of the ground that if you hit it- you were going down. Luckily whoever took out the doll head also took out the stick.

Dang I wish you would have gotten a description or better yet - a photo.

11. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    I'm kicking myself now but it not any kids doing the damage but some adult. Who would do that but for some employee of SMWD?

12. KeepsWhatHappens

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I think your assumption is likely correct.

13. Soul_Control

Soul_Control New Member

Condom Tester
    Home Page:
    I'll go out and do some trail maintenance on Wednesday morning. It'd be nice if someone else can help me construct a new bridge, but i'll definitely clear the debri out by the jumps. This section rocks.

14. bdegroodt

bdegroodt Juñior Member

Home Page:
    Is that to say that's SMWD property in that area, or not? I've always been curious who owned that section to the east of the river/creek.

15. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Just my .02, but you might want to find out who has title to the property before going out to re-build.

If it is on SMWD property and was taken down by an employee, then it would appear that they had decided against the trail; and re-building it would just start a battle which is something we really don't need any more of locally.

There are gems like this all over the place that exist for many years in various HOA outlying areas, utility areas, and some open space areas that have not been put into any conservation plan........but unfortunately with many of them, the land owners at one point or another decide to take a look at their property and tear down trails that go near their facilities.

I've had a few of my favorite gems disappear over the past 20+ years, but the reality was that the people or companies who owned the property had the right to take their land back; so I just had to find other places to ride.

Sounds like it might be similar to the TCA Chiquita area where they recently started enforcing access that was never legally allowed in the area.

Try to find out who has ownership of the area and make contact with them. At least you will find out for sure who is taking the trails apart (official employee, or disgruntled local); then you will know the steps to take (if any) to maybe get the trails back.

Just some thoughts.

16. Scott V

Scott V Member

Found out today its our lovely County Park Rangers.

I was walking the dogs through thier with my wife today and three people are in there destroying the jumps. Stop and ask whats going on. The older guy tells me that they work for the Orange County Parks and are destroying it per the Oneill park rangers. I am told this trail is part of Oneill park and not named so it is an illegal trail. He says he knows it's been here for ten years but a ranger recently found it while hiking so they are tearing it down due to possibly being sued for someone getting hurt.

I then ask who broke out the bride. He raises his hand. Next question didn't seem to go over to well. I ask him if they are so concered about public safety then why would they destroy a bridge on a blind corner whith out posting something when they know so many people use this trail? Had no explanation for this and starting ranting about other stuff. I asked if its illegal for us to be back here. Answer was kid of puzzling. Pretty much said it's not a named trail but its cleary cut so your probably ok. I walked away instead of saying something stupid at this point as that made absolutely no sense.

17. bdegroodt

bdegroodt Juñior Member

Home Page:
    ^^Bummer! But thanks for finding this out Scott. I'm feeling like I'm getting boxed in after being spoiled for the last 2 years. Between these trails getting the shovel and Chiquita...my rides are starting to be about as fun as the trainer in the winter.

Time to get in the car and go to a trailhead I guess. Waaaah! Poor me. Sorry.:eek:

18. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

it's just the those huge jumps right? i dont care for that as much as them barring us completely from that incredible singletrack. you have to admit the rhythm jumps or whatever you call it was a bit crazy. If we can still access the rest of the singletrack then not all is lost

19. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    I rode through there today and it looked like hell. The jumps will be gone soon and I wouldnt doubt that we see signs in there soon saying Private Property or something of the sort. Sad day...

20. bdegroodt

bdegroodt Juñior Member

Home Page:
    Well at least one way into the trail is now gone. I guess you walk down the hill and cross the drainage where the bridge used to be. Or ride up from the creek and then turn back around and hit the track 2x.

I guess you are right on the jumps. I never hit those, but the singletrack is definitely on my mind.