WTF Today is a bad day

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Bullit732, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Bullit732

Bullit732 Nomad Prospect

So today after switching everything over to single chain ring in the front I took my bike for a test ride and that when I noticed a trail of liquid following me.

I looked down to see that my RC3 was straight up pouring out fork oil. After I wheeled my bike back to my place the whole cartridge on the right side of the fork fell up into the stanchions. WTF do i do? Bring the fork in? Or just call it and look for something used. For example I saw an ad for a Marzocchi Monster T he's trying to sell for about 350.

Pleas I would like to hear your advice

Not to mention I went through three tubes trying to put my tires on my new/used outlaws I just picked up. My hands are cursed.

Thanks for your help,

D

2. David S

David S David S

Monster T looks super beefy, but one of the best things about the mainstream forks (boxxer, Fox 40) is that almost any shop services them and carries parts. If your cartridge blows up on one of these forks, it'll just be a couple days till you're riding again. Push does not have a Push tune for the Boxxer, but they do rebuilds on it and make a few tweaks [just not enough tweaks to call it Push'd].

3. Bullit732

Bullit732 Nomad Prospect

Thanks for the feedback! This is true about the parts, however the fork is one made from Italy so i am having a hard time deciding.

So now the choice is fix my 2008 RC3. Buy a used '08 RC3 or Buy a '02 Marzocchi Monster T

Thanks,

D

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Are you the original owner of the fork? If so, I would say give Marzocchi a call. great people to work with, very knowleable. I belive there was a recall on the internals on some of those forks, so you might just be in for a freebie

As far as a monster T....What bike is this going on?

Oh yeah, what RC3 is this?

5. Bullit732

Bullit732 Nomad Prospect

Hey Mike,

unfortunately I am not the original owner of the fork. I bought my 08 bullit used and the fork came on it. However, now I am thinking of ponying up and going for the Boxxer Race. Has anyone tried these triple crowns? It seems to be the baseline Boxxer, but I am sure it will out perform my 66 RC3.

And another update, I finally got the gosh dang tires on my rims :beer:

Thanks for the response,

D

6. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Well.... still give Marz a call, maybe its one that was recalled. Still possible for a freebie. You dont have to tell them yor not the original owner.... maybe let them ask first...

7. Bullit732

Bullit732 Nomad Prospect

Sounds good,

Thanks Mike!

I will give them a call first thing tomorrow.

-D

8. Bullit732

Bullit732 Nomad Prospect

Update

So i called Zoke and the fork is not covered under warranty. At this point, i am really over the fact that i would have to drop around 2-300 dollars just to fix my 2008 fork.

I know economically it may make sense. But at this point my bike has been down for about a month. I debating whether picking up an 08 888RC3 or New Boxxer Race.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    D

9. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    An opition is to get in touch with Drake Thomas at ISOtuned suspension. He might be able to get your 66 working without spending TOO much money. However, I think if you have the option to get a brand new Boxxer Race, you should do that. Good luck!:beer:

10. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Def the boxxer in this case. the 888 is a tall fork, and paired on the bullit, it will ride funky. I would go for the Boxxer in the 7 in setting.

11. Bullit732

Bullit732 Nomad Prospect

Sorry for all the updates...

Thank you for all of the feedback, I greatly appreciate it.

I just found out my local LBS has an 06 888RC2x for sale at a relatively cheap price. It is an 06 so one of the last years Zukes were made in Italy. Is this the call? Or should i just stick with my original idea and swing for the boxxer?

Thanks again guys. it really sucks not having my bike to ride.

-D

12. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    Just like DirtyMike said: Boxxer Race in 7" travel setting.

13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

If you get teh 888, you will want to also get the flat crowns for it, and youll want to run a very low stack height headset. Still even the 06, very tall fork to be running on a bullit, in fact, the 66 was already a tall fork to be running on the bullit.

The Boxxer in the 7 in setting would really be your best bet.

You can probably find an 09 or older for dirt DIRT cheap, that will suit your bike extremly well.

14. TKCastle

TKCastle New Member

Designer
    Silly rabbit everyone knows when you go single ring it ruins seals and causes tire beads to shrink. Dumb Noob!:lol:

15. Bullit732

Bullit732 Nomad Prospect

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I opted for the 888 because it was dirt cheap and I must have called every store in the US that carried Boxxer's to see if they had any 09's lying around and it seems they are all bought up.

I would have liked to go 2010 boxxer, but I have heard some issues regarding the dampening rod. However, I did talk to Sram and they said they fixed this, but I decided to wait until the bugs were worked out.

Anyways, here is a pic. Excuse my lacking front brake and Crank. And yes it is a bit of a steep angle, but it was 400 with direct mount.

[​IMG]

Sorry its so damn clean..

Thanks again guys,

D

16. JGilmore

JGilmore New Member

:beer:

17. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Nice, got the flat crowns already. Are those 25.4 bars??? Looks like your running the adapters on 25.4's. If so, May I suggest getting at least a cheap set of bars that are 31.8 so you can get the full benefit of the integrated stem?

18. Bullit732

Bullit732 Nomad Prospect

Yes, indeed. I will invest in the thicker bars once I recover from my expenses haha.

Thanks for the help Mike, cant say that enough.

-D