WTF?? (fork issues again)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Garrett, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I got my Manitou Nixon rebuilt at The Path a few weeks ago after it locked up on me and blew out a seal. The fork had been topping out for months prior to this, so I knew something was up. It worked great after the rebuild though so I figured it just needed a bit of TLC. They did do a great job, and the fork worked great at first...

...fast forward about 100 miles of riding later, the fork is starting to top out again, exactly in the same way as before. Now, I realize that Manitou forks aren't the best, but seriously, 100 miles after a rebuild and I am getting the same problems again??? #-o

I simply can't figure out how to tune the thing either. I read the manual and all it tells how to do is set sag. According to the tech info (aka bullshit hype) the Intrinsic dampening should allow for a plush ride that firms up the deeper you go into the travel. I don't feel any difference whatsoever with the damping no matter how I set it. I really need some help here. If I take air out, pedaling out of the saddle is unbearable, and it doesn't pair well with the rear shock (which must be set firm or else it bottoms out too easily).

Here is exactly how I have it set up (the link is in the slack position):

[​IMG]
    (yes I know it is being held up by TP, i dont care)

What can I do?

2. boboso

boboso Getting back on the bike.

Project Manager
    Garrett, swing by the house as I think I have some settings from GarageWorks that worked out well for me... Also, the boys at The Path could take a look at it, something aint right... other than the TP

3. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Thanks, I'll head over tomorrow and see what we can do :/

4. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    I'm liking the pedal prop.

5. Drakethomas

Drakethomas New Member

Suspension tech, propulsion system tech,Space stat
    One thing about the CID dampers is I have yet to see a shop who can correctly set the IFP , If not set correctly you will have all the issues you are having. There are 2 CID versions, an air backed and spring backed both have to be set before damper oil and bleed is done. I fix these all the time from people who get in over their heads attemting something that is better left to professionals.

6. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Thanks Drake. If the Path can't do it for me I will probably have to send it your way. Since they just rebuilt it though I hope they can help me out a bit. :?:

Oh, and now the IT adjust won't stay down like it used to. It will compress down to it's normal range then slowly creep up. It won't go all the way back to normal travel but it ends up about an inch higher than it should :/

7. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    Best way to resolve suspension issues with Manipoos, is to take a sledge hammer to them and buy Fox/Rock Shox!:lol:

8. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I'm seriously thinking about it. Need a job first though :-k

Kinda hard to find a good 150mm+ travel fork with a 9mm quick release though. I'm looking for something 6" travel, since I am upping the rear travel a bit with a 2.25" stroke RP2 in January. This Domain looks sick but I would have to get a new 20mm thru-axle wheelset which is even more $$$ spent on a bike I will probably grow out of in a few years. Growing sucks! #-o

If anyone is still paying attention, I took the bike back to the Path. I'm getting less and less confident that they will be able to do anything...but we will have to see. Not really holding my breath at this point though.

9. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

True...

Why not relace your front wheel with a 20mm hub? Cheapest option of all! (and if you find a hub with same dimensions, you could be super cheap and re-use your spokes)

10. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I'm a bit hesitant to spend any more money on the bike. I love the thing but like I said above I've already put some serious coin into it considering I got it for only $500 to begin with.

11. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Maybe you can find a 2006 Marzocchi AM with 150mm travel and a 9mm QR on E-bay for cheap. But if you don't want to spend any more money you need to go on line and find a sevice manual and learn how to sevice that fork yourself. That way you will understand what is failing and you will save some coin.

12. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    You know Garret, if you invest in a wheel set like the Azonic Outlaws ($208 at Jensonusa) you're not only getting a true, rider tested, reliable hoop set for your current bike, but for your next bike as well (once you upgrade!). I have the Domain 115-160mm U-turn and it's well suited for all mountain riding. Don't think of it as putting more money into the current rig you're riding, but rather parts that will upgrade your next bike! Afterall, a serious mountain biker is never satisfied with just one rig.;)

13. thephat

thephat Active Member

I wouldn't lose faith just yet. I don't have a diagnosis yet, but hang tight.

14. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I should have phrased that differently...

I know you guys at the Path know what you are doing and I'm not saying that the workmanship is shoddy but I am more thinking that the problems will continue to emerge because the fork itself is a lemon.

15. Drakethomas

Drakethomas New Member

Suspension tech, propulsion system tech,Space stat
    Easy fix, as most shops dont know how to fully dissamble the Infinite Travel system. The small quad ring is hard to replace, and the kits are hard to get through manitou.There are also 2 kits available and one works for each 30mm, and 32mm legs respectively.While apart you also need the ability to polish the guide rods, evenly w/o creating linear deviation.

16. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Got the bike back from the Path today. There is basically nothing they can do for it at this point. Talked to Raul about it and basically everything he tried to fix reversed itself overnight. Now one of the seals is backing itself out and the fork is losing air steadily so it is basically unrideable.

Sorry Drake at this point I'm gonna just ditch the Manipoo and get something more reliable like a Talas or Float.

17. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

While installing my new brakes tonight I did a little bit of tweaking to the fork - adding a bit of air, adjusting rebound, etc. I got it to the point where it no longer tops out and isn't losing air unless the IT is used (which I am avoiding altogether). Do you guys think it is OK for some light riding? Obviously I won't be doing drops or anything. Maybe a slow run down Rockit or Mathis to break in the new brakes.

I still will be getting it serviced next week through Drake either way.

18. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.