WSJ: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by calzone, Jan 10, 2011.

1. KushD

KushD Mountain Toker

Girl watching
    L0L my wife is the Asian and I'm the one who is harder on the kids.

2. Silver

Silver New Member

The girl on the right looks mortally embarrassed.

On a lighter note, if 10 years down the road you were in a relationship with one of the daughters and it was getting serious and someone forwarded you the editorial from the prospective mother-in-law, how fast would you run?

She'd motivate me to move faster than Usain Bolt, I think...

3. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Dude, you think that pic is bad?? This is the one that accompanied the original article...

[​IMG]

Whoooo-eeee!

- shud

P.S. My point is (in case anyone misunderstands my posting the image) that Amy Chua looks just so damned self-righteous and self-satisfied in this pic, and the girls -- wielding their respective piano and violin (no more wire violas!!!!) -- look like little, dainty robot children. Just does not sit well with me.

4. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Her kids are hot.

5. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
  6. KushD

KushD Mountain Toker

Girl watching
    Amy would strangle her daughter if she made that speech at graduation.

7. KushD

KushD Mountain Toker

Girl watching

bear.jpg

8. Falconer

Falconer Who are you? who who

Falconer/Animal trainer
    The difference is Sunday school or mowing the lawn is going to take an hour or two .
    This creepy women puts her daughter through a three plus hour ordeal. No food
    or bathroom breaks just mommy screaming and threatening.
    This is not just forcing your child to play an instrument this is brain washing.
    It is not a good example of parenting nor is it likely to make the child a functional member of
    society. No friends, sleep overs, parties, sports or after school activities means hardly
    any socialization for the child. After all her efforts are her daughters musical prodigies
    No they are not. Funny she does not boast about her kids being top of their class either.
    So what has she achieved outside of producing pre programed zombie girls.
    She is lucky she never had a boy child because we do not respond to that kind of
    treatment very well. She is just plain creepy.

9. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    Who needs creativity when you can steal it, repackage it and manafactuer it for .04 cents an hour.

10. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
  11. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    So the WSJ screwed up with an inflammatory headline and only the most crazy sections of the book were quoted. Okay. Granted. Darned WSJ. That takes the heat off nicely (and perhaps appropriately, but her book is at #7 on the Amazon charts right now and only climbing... I'm just sayin'...).

However, in the retraction article calzone wrote about above Amy makes the statement: "Give 10-year-olds total freedom, and they'll be playing computer games eight hours a day." Well, duh. But who the hell does that?!?!? No one that I know. Think bell curve, baby. Most of us are right in the middle of it, not at the edges (otherwise it wouldn't be a bell, now would it?...). Most of us don't live at one extreme or the other. I just don't get why she proves her point by looking to the opposite extreme. That's lame.

Ah, well. Enough ink spilled over this one. Time to put a cap on the old ink bottle.

- shud

12. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

This was a very interesting read, but at the same time gotta be careful not to over react as parental advice and how to raise kids is always a loaded topic and brings out passionate opinions from everyone.

13. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Since all of my friends are in the process of raising offspring, I've had the joy of listening to thousands of hours of people arguing passionately, heatedly, about the one right way they, and usually everyone else, ought properly raise children. I have only this to say:

The more studies that are done, the more it is being discovered that children are nearly entirely raised by themselves and their peers. They learn some basic animal behavior from the parents, but beyond that, they're raising themselves. And after taking a look at parents and the society we've built, thank the gods for that.

Further, look at who is doing the breeding. It's not the adventurous, it's not successful, it's not the geniuses. You can sweat and fume over whether montessori schools or the suzuki method works best at turning your childs spark of inspiration into deep-seated-rage and the wedge of angst that tears your family apart, but for all the hemming and hawing over what will best create the next Trump or Napoleon, your kid is still no more likely to fare any better or worse than the kids in their class from the trailer park across town who see their drunk-ass dad once a week and learn from his bad example. It's just another generation of lord of the flies here. The geniuses will be retarded by the brutes, the stupid will be rewarded for their obedience. While you're carting your 16 year old around from soccer practice to the chaperoned junior prom party, realize that a few hundred generations back, when our ancestors were kids their age, they were forming empires and negotiating alliances and conquering the civilized world on horseback. If humans were primal and barbarian, we have since become soft, ineffectual, lazy and dumb. The sweet spot was probably somewhere in the middle. 7,000,000,000 descended from 600 or so at the bottleneck... that's a lot of inbreeding, and it hasn't been kind.

14. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    That's why we ride mountain bikes now.

- shud

15. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    The author is on Colbert tonight :D

16. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
  17. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

Ha ha! Keep reading this B.S. and buy her book-it's all about selling books.
    I once told a story about my mom not letting me in the house because I was covered in mud. I was about 6 or 7 years old. My mother had me, and my friends, strip on the front lawn and she hosed us off as we gleefully ran into and out of the spray. I was told by a mental health professional that this was child abuse and my mother should have been arrested!
    She also was pretty good with the shoe/slipper throw if you mouthed off...
    Tiger mom my ass!