Worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by jefbystereo, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jefbystereo

jefbystereo New Member

I have been riding a basically stock 2005 Giant boulder se. The fork (suntour xc60) is in pretty bad shape and I have been considering swapping it out for something a little nicer (~$100 used range). My question is, is this even worth doing to a bike of this level? Other than the fork (which still works, just not well) the bike is in good shape and I cant really afford a new bike so this seems like a worthwile upgrade to me.

Also, can anyone recommend forks to look for in that price range? Ive been looking at pinkbike and STR classifieds for forks, but I have a hard time figuring out a good price/performance ratio for a beginner level bike.

Thanks

2. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Build your dream, piece by piece.

Can get a brand new RS Tora from Adrenaline for $135.:?: Used can be hit or miss.....Wheels, cranks, brakes, suspension in that order will ensure the biggest smiles.;)

3. jefbystereo

jefbystereo New Member

Thanks for the tips, Ill mostly be checking for new forks then, although almost anything would be an improvement over this rusty sad fork. I couldnt find the tora you mentioned online, is that an instore only price? Unfortunatley I need V brake mounts so that kind of limits my options. On pinkbike I found someone selling a new 2004 manitou axel super for $80 shipped. how does that compare to the 2008 dart2 that ive seen for the same price on pricepoint?

4. jumpman

jumpman New Member

Engineer
    I would look at earlier models rather than the current ones since you are limited to v brakes. Stick to air/oil forks if possible since seals should be the only things too worn. The quality of today's forks with v brake mounts isn't there since most of the better bikes have discs.
    Another option for just a little more would be a front-wheel disc conversion only.

5. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Don't forget that Jenson's annual sale is this Friday!

6. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

7. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Think someone is selling a Manitou minute 2 in market place for cheap. Definitely worth the upgrade but don't go too much over 100 bucks.

8. jefbystereo

jefbystereo New Member

Stinky180, thats the fork I was looking at actually.

I def dont want to spend over 100, since thats practically what I bought the bike for used. The current forisk pretty much shot, and I figure a new one would make the bike decent to ride, and a good backup/friend bike for when I do get a new one sometime later.