Working out at the gym, what transfer over to cycling?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by EndoMaster, Nov 11, 2006.

1. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    I've been going to the gym for the past few weeks now in hopes of getting enough conditioning for the Vision Quest. I know that there is no substitute for riding but my schedule doesn't currently permit it. Loading up my bike at 11:30 at night and then driving to a legal trail is just not going to work for me. I've been running on the treadmill and weight training but I want to make the most of my workouts. What can I do at the gym that will benefit me more from a cycling standpoint. I can't use the spin machines because they are unavailable at the time of night that I go.

2. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I also hit the gym a few times a week since there's one on campus. I like doing intervals or long 'hill program' rides on the bike (the non spinner-class type). For the weight training I like leg press, lunges, and squats the best because they all work the quads, hammys, and glutes. Also do leg curls and leg extensions to mix it up. For the upper body I like doing shoulder and tricep workouts but sprinkle in other workouts as well. Have began adding more core training to help out on the long rides.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Ride the stationary bikes.There are a number of training programs you can follow depending on what you're trying to accomplish. If you don't have a stationary bike, invest in a cheap trainer and ride at home.

4. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    Choose the staitionary bike over the treadmill, running on the treadmill just doesn't transfer over to the bike. It will improve your conditioning but it works different leg muscles then riding does so you'll loose pedaling strengh. George had good leg workouts but don't forget the calf muscle, very important

5. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Running on a gradient seems to work pretty well altho its no substitute for real biking. George seems to have a good idea of what works.

6. ScarredOne

ScarredOne hospital philanthropist

Kinesiology student/physical therapy tech.
    You're pretty much gonna reap the most strength benefits from multi-joint, compound movements such as squats (great for axial loading of the skeleton), lunges, and bent leg dead lifts. Straight leg deads work the hams really well, but will hurt if you don't have the hamstring flexibility. If you don't know the form for the above exercises REALLY well, forget it though. Just hit up the machines--it's not worth the risk. Besides calves I'd hit up core muscles and the muscles of the shoulder girdle that get really tired on the long rides (rhomboids, upper traps) and work on the rotator cuffs as well. Lastly, don't forget about flexibility, esp. in back, quads, and hams. Just my $0.02.

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Or forget the gym and buy a singlespeed!

8. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    Thanks everyone for the replies, there's lots of good advice here and I will heed it.

9. pshloss

pshloss New Member

Make sure and use a machine with a heart monitor or bring one in yourself. Otherwise, it is very difficult to tell how hard you are really working.

10. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    don't forget some free weight training for the forearms, they can take a beating on a ride when it gets technical and you are constantly alternating between braking, shifting and grabbing the bats to manuver the bike. go with low weight (5-10 lbs) and high reps.

11. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    I wanted to say thanks again for everyones advice. I haven't really thrown alot weight training into the mix yet but I have kept working on my cardio more, I have also spent more time on the stationary bike than the treadmill.

I think it's helping; this weekend I did a little post turkey gorging ride at the Loop and although I wasn't faster I did feel better throughout the ride. It seems that it's helping in the endurance department since i used to have to rest along time at the end of climbs. My rest periods this time were a little shorter.

I was at a max of 272 in late August and dropped abit with a change in diet alone, in late Spetember I weight 268. I am currently at 254 because I got sidelined by a cold but I'm going back to the gym this week. Will I hit my goal of 210 by the end of February? I don't know but I am inspired so far.

12. guero

guero iFroth

Not sure if you ever get out to the Santa Ana's, but if you haven't I think it might be wise to get out there. The longest climb at the Loop is maybe a 1/4 mile at most. I'm not a trainer by any means, but it seems to be that it might be a good idea to start pre-riding some portions of the VQ course or at least riding trails other than Fullerton.

Cool to see you working so hard in the gym, I need to get my butt back in there!

13. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    One thing that I think helped me out to push harder when getting up a steep to steeper hill is leg presses. You don't have to worry about holding the weight up or anything so you finish when your legs get tired not when your shoulders hurt (like sometimes with squats). I do 60 reps, but increase the weight every 15. No breaks just do 15, throw on weight, then do 15 more. Pushing out the last few is tough, but I have noticed in my riding the when I get tired I still have enough to keep pushing even harder!

You also can't forget about your core, like your chest and your back because that is where all your power comes from. Also will want to work the supporting muscles so that you can gain more strength for the big lifts

14. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Chris, you amaze me. Spot on info. I've heard trainers say the exact same thing a number of times to people.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

:beer: Funny, that is what I did. But now I am contemplating doing the VQ one the SS.......argh!!!!

mtnbikej

I agree.....you need to get aquainted with the sections of the course. No riding in the county parks gets you ready for the climbs you will encounter on the Main Divide. YOu need to be getting in some long rides...usually 30+ miles. 8-10 hours in the saddle is a lot. You need to get your body adjusted to it.

Start with the easy one....Blackstar to Beeks Place: 9 miles up/9 back.

Then Blackstar to Motorway: 9 Miles to Beeks, 10 Miles to Motorway, 3 Miles down Motorway, 5 Miles back to car on pavement.

Becoming familiar with the course makes it go by much faster. Learn where certain landmarks are. For this year's VQ I rode the Blackstar/Motorway loop 7-10 times and learned where everything was. So on raceday, I always knew exactly where I was and how far I still had to go. I also did this with Maple Springs to the Peak, and Trabucco to West Horsethief.

mtnibkej

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006
  16. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    Sounds like a plan, I guess I can do a short ride this weekend and gradually add more mileage to acclimate myself.

17. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

we do have a ride going on Sunday!!;)

u're not alone :lol: i may drop the gears down just a little :-k

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2006
  18. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the invite but it's going to have to be Saturday for me. My Sundays just aren't free anymore.

With that being said; how do i get to Blackstar from the L.A area? I close to the 105/110 or 91/110 interchanges if that helps anyone.

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Simple....

91 East to 55 South
    Exit Chapman Ave turn Left(east).
    Continue up Chapman until you reach Jamboree. At this point Chapman turns into Santiago Canyon Rd. Continue on Santiago Canyon Rd. approx. 9 miles.
    Turn left at Siverado Canyon
    1st left turn is Blackstar Canyon Rd.
    Park anywhere on the side of the road or drive down to the gate. Go through the large iron gate and follow the pavement til it turns to dirt. Follow the dirt up to you reach another iron gate. Just above that is Beeks Place. Stay on the fireroad and ignore the private property signs.

Here is a good link:
    Geoladders -- Blackstar Canyon - Beeks Place

20. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the info, those will really help.