Word of advice for when you screw up...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by jcka, May 6, 2010.

1. jcka

jcka Member

So this evening my friends and I went for a ride at Aliso Woods. It was a nice evening and I was relishing in my accomplishments of finishing Chola, riding across west ridge up to top of the world and down Meadows on a singlespeed for the first time. I have been giving some serious thought about getting myself a singlespeed, so I thought I would borrow my buddies bike just to make sure I like it, which by the way, I do.

We were about done and as we were heading towards home across coyote run, I was hit head on by another rider who was coming in my direction on the wrong side of the trail around a blind corner. I was to my right and he of course was on the left side of the trail riding three across with his friends. I saw him with just enough time to think to myself, "this is going to hurt".

He rode straight into me. Some how I came to a dead stop and was ale to catch myself without falling, he on the other hand went OTB.

Now, first and foremost, I truly hope you are ok, who ever you may be. I mean this when I say I hope you didn't get hurt. Secondly, I'm not overly concerned with the fact that you blew out my tire and thrashed my brake cables. Fortunately I had a spare tube and didn't have too many hills to ride down that required stopping.

What kinda sucks is the fact that I didn't get a single, "I'm sorry bro", "hey, are you ok", Dude, I F'd up, sorry", or "Hey, sorry I caused this, can I at least offer to give you a spare tube so you don't have to walk out of here". I did'nt as much get a "don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out".

I would venture to guess the other rider learned a valuable lesson about trail etiquette tonight, and I couldn't go on with out admitting that at one point in time I myself have been guilty of riding on the wrong side of the trail.

In closing, my word of advice to you would be this, in the future if you screw up and cause a crash, at least check on the person you collide with and give a simple sorry.

Good night and be safe...

2. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Well said.

Impressed by your ability to remain calm - and very reserved as well.

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I live in Laguna so those are my local trails and I am very aware of the high volume of traffic out there. That is one of the main reasons I have a bike bell and I am not afraid to use it. The truth is I just don't ride some of those trails because of this very reason. Some think every ride is a training ride and they are trying to beat the time of their last loop. Beware of the racer boys and goaters.

Dean

4. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
  5. jeepr84

jeepr84 Member

Dude.................................

6. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Road bikers?

7. nailknot

nailknot Member

destruction of material
    This collision is why I installed a bell on my bars. Where I ride, Hulda Crooks, there are many who use it for a training ride and DH practice. There are many blind turns. I always ding my bell many times while approaching these corners be it that I am going uphill or downhill.

I am trying to do most of my riding at night where there aren't the number of riders/hikers out there.

8. DirtyGirlMonkey9

DirtyGirlMonkey9 New Member

Hey were you the guy I was talking to about SS at the top of Mathis? I was on a Niner SS. :wave:

That's crazy! I always worry about that on coyote. I can't imagine riding 3 abreast either there, is the trail even that wide? Are you ok? Sounds like a nasty collision.

Must have been a crash night. If you were who I talked to you missed another crash by just a few minutes. A guy was coming down from TOW & fell pretty hard cracked helmet & all. His friends went to get the car to try & pick him up at TOW & I walked with him & took his bike, but he was having difficulty breathing & had to stop, so called the fire dept. to come & get him about a qtr mile from the top. He ended up with a broken clavicle, rib & a lung contusion. Said he will be in the hosptial a couple days & then couple months recovery. I'm sending all my get well wishes his way!!! :beer: I know he needs one of those tonight!

Thanks to the firemen that responded so quickly and carried him to TOW! :clap:

9. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    I don't see how any part of coyote could be wide enough to ride three abreast. It's single track, there's room for one. I think it's up to all of us to be cautious. And Props to those who carry a bell and use it.

10. NA1NSXR

NA1NSXR Member

Same thing happened to me today albiet of much less severity. Two sand-o-phobic noobs were standing in the middle of the line on Borrego in Whiting Ranch today at the spot where there is a 6-12" drop into a sand pit. I ride up to them and slow down (down to spinning my granny gear), waiting for them to move but they don't so I just drop into the sand with almost zero forward momentum, my front wheel sinks in and I go OTB into the sand.

They did ask if I was ok although still having not moved, still completely oblivious to the situation, still unaware that the section is completely ridable at any reasonable speed other than a 1mph roll and of course completely oblivious that they caused it. I got sand everywhere, in my gloves and into crevices of my componentry like the BB and chain.

I was pretty pissed but I just got up and continued riding. I wanted to say something but thought better of it.

Both Aliso stories above suck and I am glad people made it out ok on most counts, but regarding Cyote I have always considered it a sketchy trail and I use my bell liberally when I am on it. Sometimes it doesn't even work. You ring the bell and oncoming riders don't stop, slow down, or even move to the side.

11. Scott V

Scott V Member

I am glad you are not injured. Coyote has blind corners and riders ride it in both directions. Not to be a dick but everyone needs to be in control on this trail. It does suck that someone involved in a collision would not render assistance to the other person. I am not saying don't ride it fast but you have to be prepared for the unexpected as there is no right direction on this trail.

12. volcomsteban

volcomsteban New Member

Shmo
    I always try to ride with caution and respect but I will say that its hard on tails like Coyote for the simple fact that it is singletrack and its almost flat, there is no real up or down to it. I can see where some people might be confused as to which way has ROW. I know of course. Up is that way and down is the other direction. ;)

Glad you came out ok. Hope the bike heals up too. :)

13. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Was there any dialogue between you at all? Was he aware that he had done wrong? Sometimes, the ignorant don't question why something has happened. I guess they chalk it up as bad luck or something. Although it's not really our responsibility, we should try to educate (without a better than thou tone) those who don't know what is or is not generally acceptable. Glad you're okay.

14. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    My Wife makes fun of me for my excessive bell use. Better safe than sorry.

15. jcka

jcka Member

My bad, I'm still learning the trail names in there, it's the fire road-ish trail with the two water crossings...the one that leads to Cholla...

Actually, I have a bell on my Santa Cruz, this was a friends bike and didn't have a bell...wish I had it last night

Yes, that was I and thanks for the info on the other rider, thoughts and prayers go out to him

16. emfc

emfc Don't taze me bro

Military
    I was hit head on while climbing once by a guy flying down the trail. It took everything in my power not to beat the crap out of the dude, once I figure out I wasn't broken. Like you he didn't say a thing he just jumped back on his bike and kept cruising downhill. He was completly in the wrong and he knew it.

17. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    To the OP: glad to hear you have a bell on your regular bike. If you are going to ride at Aliso Woods or Whiting, I really suggest a bell or some type of noice maker. I patrol AW and ALWAYS ride with a bell and use it. We all like to have fun and go fast... especially on single track, but as Dean says, AW has a high rider volumne and one should expect traffic going the other way. We all need to be aware as riders any blind corner is an accident waiting to happen.

As far as not saying 'Sorry' or just acknowleding he had run into you... there are a lot of a$$es out there... I'm sorry you had to run into one yesterday.

18. 4xdave

4xdave #228

PLC Programmer
    LOL me too, mine calls me an "a-hole with a bell" :lol:

19. RussTafari

RussTafari New Member

Wow jcka, I gotta say that you were the better rider for checking yourself before tearing into the other rider. Hopefully for them a lesson was learned and their silence was brought on by humbleness. Still though, an 'I'm sorry' would have gone a long way.

If it helps any, I was also out there last night, and had quite the opposite experience. Was changing a flat on the ridge trail, and at least 6 different riders asked me if I was good, and if I needed anything. Man, was it ever nice to see the mtb community alive and well and taking care of each other.

Then within an hour I blew all that good karma I had received by not stopping for DirtyGirlMonkey9, who I saw sitting on the trail below TOW. It was getting dark, and we were cranking to get back home. I saw you sitting there with that guy, the bikes seemed to be laid down orderly, and I thought to myself, "what an odd place to rest". It wasn't until I heard the heli that I realized what had happened. Consider it a lesson learned for me too. And I hope that guy heals up ok.

20. commplex

commplex SSuper SSlacker

Insurance Agent
    I use my bell on coyote so much its borderline rediculous. Every blind corner gets at lease 5 or 6 dings. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Side Note: I believe the other rider went OTB becuase you were on a Single Speed :lol:.