Ride Report Woodward west race 4

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by DirtymikeTDB, Sep 15, 2008.

1. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

After a long weekend of riding, practicing, and having fun. The weekend was ruined by the way the results were handled. I do not talk about this lightly, and if anyone is upset, I apologize in advance. But Here is the ride report. The coarse was great, I had a ton of fun riding with friends over this past weekend, I have a bunch of bad ass pictures from the Hanger, Had a few drinks with friends saturday night. I had two really great race runs, found myself sitting in the number five postion for the Z class and having to battle it out for the number 4 position. the days results came ouit, I got eights, but I didnt care, I was having a good time, I won the battle for fourth, but then the results were taken down, and some was given the opportunity to protest a race result AFTER the time was over, and By over I mean two and a half months of time. The overall result winner was pulled because someone was allowed to protest the very first race, on the day of the last race. At this time, it looks to everyone else in the class, that he was given this grace from being a sponsored rider<southridge sponsorship>. ANd at this time at least six people from the Z class dont want to race again.

The Z class <those who know will know who we are> Recognizes this as the True results of the overall standings.

First place Michael Barcellos
    Second place Allister Frias
    Third Place Linton Frias
    Fourth place Dustin Hampton
    Fifth place Adrian Quintana
    Sixth, My homie DH MIKE!!!!! PROPS BUDDY

We all belive that perosnal responsibilty is also a part of racing, and winning your award. Yes there were a few things that were unclear about the scoring this round, like how your last race even if it was the worst of four, the score was NOT able to be thrown out, which was a bit on the frustrating side for some, but understandable. But for everyone else in the class, Our protest time was over back at the first Cal State race, after our fifteen minute time frame was up.

So much for racing, this happening was a huge put off for me and all the others in our class as well. I am just glad that we all that feel this way are good friends, and we will continue to ride together either way with or without racing.

PROPS to The people in Z class. I wouldnt have you guys any other way!!!!!!! Now lets go get a Beer.

2. dhmike

dhmike Banned

process server
    you forgot sixth dhmike ! yeah i'm with you dirty fock racing . the best part of the weekend was hitting the bar.

3. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Ha, that better!!!!! Who cares who is faster anymore, lets friggin ride!!!!!

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

What numbers were you guys? I have a ton of pics most of them are from the group I was with on as far as the race but lots of random people from Sat/Sun practice

Yeah I know a lot of people were put off by the you can't drop last race rule that came out of nowhere from what I understood. I don't get why you can protest a previous result. All you should be able to protest for the final standings is if they had a result wrong and they can verify it. I wouldn't let that stop you from racing. I think the racing should be for enjoyment first and results second. I hope they do a better job next year and learn from their mistakes and improve for next year.

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

469Z for myself. I love pictures!!!

I have alot from the hanger, I need to get them loaded up.

6. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I will take a look and get the bulk uploaded you can probally find yourself easier then I can:lol:

7. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Yeah I am just loading all my stuff in the bulk as well

8. SchwinnStr8

SchwinnStr8 Team DHB

Home Page:
    213Z here for pics.

As for the race....its was fun except for the results. My story is the same as Dirtys. I was one that resulted in the drop in position because of the "keep the last race result". My story was...

I was in 5th place after my first run and then saw the overalls and everyone in the group said i had 2nd locked. On my second run, i didn't run as hard and wanted to play it safe and not get hurt so i ran 3 seconds slower. Doing that, it dropped me from 5ht to 9th which resulted to dropping me into position in overall points because of that rule about keeping the last race:?::confused:.

I think they (SRC) should have been more clear about which races you could drop and which race was mandatory. If i had known about keeping the last race, all i had to do was keep my 5th place or even come in 6th and i would have held my spot on the overall points. If that rule wasn't in effect, I would have my place one up on the podium with a 10 point lead. I must say i was very dissapointed (It felt like my hard work the past 3 races weren't worth as much). Until i heard about the first place issue. :(

I don't think this will stop me from racing... mfoga was right; SRC racing was fun because of the people, and placing came second. I've met a bunch of cool people (how i found out about STR:wave:) because of these events and probably still plan to race.

Thats my 2cents and in my eyes...Micheal Barcellos was the 1st place winner for the Z class.

See you guys at the Annual race in November!:drunk:

9. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I missed this earlier, I agree with that 100% The races for me have never been about the results, but in the way everything comes into play. Driving three hours for a couple runs.....Eh not my cup of tea, making trip with friends...... Now we are talking!!!!!

But the screwup, getting people excited, then slamming them with, no you didnt do that, you did worse...... Takes alot of the fun out of it, If anyone has ever been by the start line while the Z class is rolling up, you know we are all about having a good time, talking smack literally till 5 seconds before each of us start!!!! For me, it has always been another day out riding with the homies.

By teh way, I petitioned Donny to give Mike B a Jersey, I am waiting to see what he does.

10. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

11. MOSH1DH

MOSH1DH Member

159g here
    had a good weekend. my wife and kid, came up for there first race of the year. We got there Friday, so I took my girl for a walk down the course. did 6-8 runs on Sat and 3 practice runs Sun. as for my race first run had a great top half. after the step up, I came uncliped and had to put my foot down going through the next corner, omost came to a stop in that ridiculous hairpin corner, then over shot the next right hander. sitting 11th after my first run. Had 1 to many beers in between my runs, Second run was opposite of my first run, horrrible in the top half and pulled it together in the lower section, to only be 4 seconds slower in this run. It was good to see all the str homie's. here are some pic's from walking the course on Friday. :beer:
    the second pic has Albert R. he race's in F. his girlfriend came to the race this weekend, will be having there first child today. they went to the hospital around midnight. :clap:

Attached Files:

12. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    So my weekend started out at 7 am, at Incycle san dimas. I met a few of the other riders on the team and we all left and then got to Adrian's house around 8. At Adrians, we loaded 11 bikes in the truck, then 2 more on the back of the second car.
    A few hours later, We arrived at Woodward West. WE all headed and registered, then got ready to practice. But wait a second, i dont have a back brake on my bike. :-k Literally seconds before Tyler and Stephen from the incycle team were going to practice, Everyone under the STR EZ up yelled that my brake was here.. :bang: THanks, Dustin, Saved my weekend. I threw the brake on, and went out to practice. At the end of the first run, Dustin asked how it worked, and asked if i had tightened the bolts to set it in place. #-o Oops i was soo excited to finally ride after nearly a year of no DH, that i just totally forgot, although the brake still worked fine.
    I got about 6-7 runs in on saturday, before taking a goood long break and contemplating another. Well Stephen asked if i wanted to go back for more practice, he said he wanted to do one more run. #-o As soon as i heard that, i dropped my gear and said, no thanks dood, you just jynxed it. Well, a half hour later, after i had settled down, stephen comes back, and says, i shouldnt have done taht last run... What? i was thinking... He turns around to reveal the back of his jersey... It was shredded, it looked like he had been attacked by a bear, or shot by a farmer riding an illegal trail. His chest protector was also scratched, good thing he had it on or his back would have no skin on it. His helmet also did its job when it took a good hit and slide on the back. He decided not to race, but rode the Hanger that night.
    So race day comes, i do 3 runs and feel great. After the first run, i was 11th out of 17, and i knew the places i could easily gain a few seconds, to drop my second run time. Second Run comes around, get off to a good start. Hit thefirst little rock deal fine, get to the first right hander bumpy/loose berm, rail it fine with minimal braking, go to the left hander, nailed that pretty well, then pedaled my A$$ of to the jump/drop thing. I didnt tap my brakes before like i usually do, so i got mega air, although i scrubbed it with my body. Well, after that, i went to pedal to get speed so i could scrub the step-up... DAMNIT, my chain had jumped off the inside of my guide, so i began pushing my bike while i was on it like a scooter with one foot. now i was worried about flow and pumping more than anything.. the rest of the run went great, although i could not pedal. Despite not being able to pedal, i only gained 8 seconds, which isnt bad considering i couldnt pedal where you can easily pedal in these next places.
    After that second run, i was 16th out of 17. Well, at least i had fun. Tyler is the New State champion for my class and is going to move up to Junior Expert next January.
    All in all, i had fun... I am hoping to get to go to the winter bike camp there for free, since i can get a "job" there and still ride a majority of the day they said.

-Brandon

13. tgreathead

tgreathead New Member

I had to leave just before they posted all the final results, sucks that happened to you guys.

14. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Sweet, I am glad the brake worked out for you

15. bluefirepictures

bluefirepictures Almost Local Rider/Photog

Home Page:
    I hope everyone had fun.

I have a lot of pictures from the weekend. I have both hanger nights and Saturday practice online right now. I will have the race pictures up by tonight. Sorry but no Sunday practice.

http://bluefirepictures.com/gallery.php?gid=260

16. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Good pics there Bro. Thanks much. Cant wait to see more pics

17. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    Yeah I really felt for the homies in the Z class. I'm not quite that gimpy yet so I raced "Y" but damn that's a great group to hang with.

My report.

Good first run. Better second run. Enough for 4th

But overall is kick a$$

Attached Files:

18. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Yes, there was a lot of confusion regarding how the finals were going to be tallied. My husband Roger was one of those that had issue as well. He raced all 4 races and was 5 points ahead but they counted his last race which was 90 points and dropped his 3rd race which was 95 points, which tied him and the person who won the race yesterday. And of course the winner of the last race gets the tie breaker. They also said that you had to be present to win. Yet, some people got listed as winning who did not show up.

My suggestion is that if you have not already spoken to Donny Jackson, please contact him and let him know your concerns. He really is a good guy and appreciates your feedback!!!! [email protected]

Part of the confusion and change in procedure was based on the fact that last year they had 3 races and this year they had 4. Let's help turn this around for next year's series by giving our feedback and continuing to support SRC!!!! As donwhillers we have lost so much already, I for one any not willing to give up anything else!!!

Long live Socal DH racing and riding!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang:

19. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

To add to DM's post, make sure when contacting through the Southridge site to include as much info for your situation as possible, also know that the emails do not go directly to Donny, so if you want a responce you need to include you email adress in the email, he wont automatically get the adress like normal

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I am in the process of uploading my pics. I will post link to all of them when they are done.