Winter is over.... Stocked up :)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by bing!, Apr 8, 2014.

1. bing!

bing! Active Member

You may or may not know it, but I fix bikes :)

Just stocked up on oil. If you're in West LA or nearby, I turn around forks, shocks and hydraulic posts and brakes overnight, if I have the seals in stock, or in three days, which is what Jenson takes to get them to me :)

[​IMG]

I only use Torco RSF medium for Fox cartridges, RFF 15 wt (equivalent to Fox 10wt) for lower bath and Torco RFF 7 and 20 for Rockshox. Golden Spectro for Zokes.

I'm currently between contracts for my day job. Drop it off in the morning, you get it back in the pm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    bummer we need you in orange county

3. Pete.a

Pete.a New Member

PM for an entertainment lighting company
    Bing- PM me a cost to freshen up a Rockshox Recon solo Air. I still have the "rebuild kit" that came with the fork when I bought it. I believe its complete, if it can be used, great, if not, no problem, I'll keep it in the bag o' tricks...

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

pm sent.

5. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    You should buy a Ford Econoline van and start doing remote service and actually drive out to customers... in Orange County. :lol:

6. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

And Ventura County too!

7. bing!

bing! Active Member

Thanks. I'm probably not going to turn mobile. As it is, I'm cool with one or two forks to service a day.

I also do repairs like stanchion gouge smoothing and polishing, damper rebuild and repair, trouble shooting, and rebuild of vintage forks. Other services include wheel/suspension bearing replacement, pivot service, du bushing service, build up, tune up, wheel truing etc etc..

I'd rather be fixing bikes than watching tv :)

8. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    I prefer wearing out bikes rather than fixing them, building them, even changing a tire. But that is me.......find me at sunset....back in the saddle again
    Happy trails.

My trouble is work is always getting in the way of riding, which is why I started sunset riding long ago. I am going to take the lights off tonight, once I get back....o7o

9. bing!

bing! Active Member

I like my bikes working 100% as it's supposed to be. It's a throw back from when I used to race. Everything has to be ready. Equipment failure is not an option. There is a satisfaction I get seeing and feeling machinery working perfectly. Just new doesn't do it for me. I buy a lot of used stuff because I know it will work as new if not better once Ive gone through it. I shake my head seeing guys with 10,000 dollar bikes with blown seals, oozing black goop onto the ground, broken chains, blown dampers or busted spokes walking down the mountain. Such a shame to end a day like that. An avoidable fail.

I've rebuilt 30 year old road bikes and have had the customer swear the bike felt like new. Like night and day. In situations like that, I'm proud of my work.

10. strobe

strobe resident noob

bing, just out of curiosity about vintage forks... do you know if its possible to add rebound adjust to a 1998 Sid fork? Or, would that require an entire lowers swap? Just wondering.

11. bing!

bing! Active Member

the 1998 SID does not have rebound adjustment. Rockshox recommended to swap out its rebound cartridge for tuning. http://www.birota.ru/manuals/rockshox/user-guide/98sid.pdf

There are two ways to go about getting adjustable rebound at this point. 1) change the oil weight inside the "non-serviceable rebound cartridge". This will require an inspection of the rebound cartridge. I've done this on a Judy XC but I haven't for a 98 SID so am not sure how to do until I see one. 2) swap the internals for a 2000 SID that has adjustable rebound. http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/1998-sid-techical-question-damper-retrofits-591460.html