Ride Report Wilson Toll Road

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mottmcfly, Nov 28, 2010.

1. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    AJ and I decided to climb the toll road up to Mt. Wilson (or close to it) and come back down the Mt. Wilson trail.

The temperatures at my house (Pasadena) were warmer than expected but we brought extra clothing just in case.

The climb from my driveway, through Eaton Canyon and up to the trail-head is 9.83 miles. This was one of the most grueling climbs I've done. Whenever we rode into shade I could see the steam coming out of the openings in AJ's helmet.

The upper areas of the Mt Wilson trail are not for the faint of heart. There's a lot of exposure and with all the recent fallen leaves and acorns, slowing down can be a challenge. The mid to lower areas are some of the best single-track I've ridden in the area. Tacky is an understatement. It looked like someone just finished grooming the trail 30 seconds before we rode through.

While as usual we were super courteous to any hikers we came across, (We always STOP and yield the trail), there were at least two that said we were riding a trail that was not for bikes. They suggested we turn around and go all the way back up top to read the sign that read so. Trust me we looked before we came down and no such sign exists.

That being said, I'm going to call the Forestry Service just to make sure.

Here's a few pics. I also have a video in the works. Hope you all enjoy.

Mott.

http://mottmcfly.smugmug.com/Other/Mt-Wilson/14841775_BYgPY#1107277832_UHnXK

2. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

That's a great route, but like you said a grueling climb. I'm not sure my knees have recovered yet. I fairly certain the route is open to bikes, let us know what the FS says.

3. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Hikers

I am also always courteous to hikers, I enjoy hiking too and even though I am an avid MTBer... it's never fun getting buzzed by cyclists. Having said that, there is a certain popular 'group' that has a quite few members among them that believe they own all the trails. I have been told the same thing by members of this 'group' while riding open trails that I know very well. Once they even attempted to block me from riding the trail... I firmly exercised my rights and they yielded.
    While I do not know the legalities of the Trails on Mt. Wilson, I wouldn't necessarily take the word of any random hikers too seriously.

4. brparts

brparts Member

Retired
    i did the toll road twice, once in 1954 then again 1999. dont remember much about the 54 climb but the 99 ride was a slow climb and a fast downhill:bang:

5. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Trust me, I know what you mean about the knees. I'm pretty sure it's open to bikes but I wouldn't want to give anyone info until I'm sure. In all honesty, the last mile or so of that trail is a little narrow for multiple usage. I had to throw my bike up on the side more than a few times to make sure a hiker could pass without getting to close to the edge.

6. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    That's quite a gap!

7. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    Thanks for the pictures! They're awesome.

8. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Mott, nice job, dude. Trust me, it's open to bikes. I rode it today and ride relatively frequently. It's always been open to bikes. Hikers are shocked when they see you on it because they don't see many bikes on it and it's not considered an ideal mtb trail so they draw their own conclusions. I've had friendly discussions with a few in regards and I always ask them where they get their facts and that's when the conversation is usually over. It's what they assume or have been told by fellow hikers. Like you mentioned, we continue to do our part by yielding to everyone on the trail and we're always very courteous. That being said, you can't please everyone and you're always going to have your critics. Life goes on...

9. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Well said Joe. As usual.

10. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

I don't know where that person got that info but Mt. Wilson trail is open to bikes. I once asked a Forrest Ranger at Chantry Flats, "What trails are closed to cyclists in the San Gabs?" After a brief pause and scratching of their chin the Ranger replied, "None that I can think of off hand other than the PCT." I'm sure that there is probably another trail but it isn't the MWT.

It was probably just a trail nazi pissed that you were enjoying the trail a different way than he was.

11. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

the trail is open to bikes.
    Use a bell (please) on this trail. It makes a lot of the hikers happy. You will still probably get one or two on the way down who say bikes shouldn't be on the trail. I respond with "it's a multi-use trail" and move on.

12. brparts

brparts Member

Retired
    cars, girls, job, wife, kids and moving to Indiana put a stop to me riding for a few years.

13. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Here's the vid. It's sort of low res so I apologize. Trying to render something better now. It's 12 minutes long.

Hope you all enjoy

http://vimeo.com/17392968

Mott

14. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    Is that section around 8:35 as steep as it looks. Wow. Looks like a great ride down. Thanks for sharing.

What are you editing with?

15. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Nice video!

16. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I'm editing with iMovie and yes that section is that steep.

17. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Not to bump this but I rendered a new (shorter) video if anyone is interested. Hopefully the resolution is a little better.

Hope you enjoy.

Mott

http://vimeo.com/17774653

18. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    This is my favorite trail in the San Gabes. It's not for the faint of heart though as the video shows, there is a lot of exposure. I'm without insurance at this time so I'll wait until I'm insured again and then I'll be back for one of my favorite rides. I've never seen so many hikers so far up. Lots in the lower section but I'm amazed there are that many up above.

19. GeoRob

GeoRob Member

We did that same route this past Sunday...great climb, sketchy descent.

20. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I can't explain it either but there were quite a few. I think the cold temperatures might have been the catalyst. Just about everyone we ran into were absolutely friendly.