Wilson Shuttle

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by mottmcfly, Sep 11, 2007.

1. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Anyone up for a Sunday shuttle run down Mt. Wilson 9/16???

Meet at JPL whenever and head on up. BBQ at my house is always a possibility :drunk:.

I live 5 miles from where the trail lets out on the road.

I'm bringing the big bike.

Let me know

Mott

2. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Expect a PM later this evening!

As of Tuesday- Count me in!

Rusty (white Bullit)- If you are reading this--- sign up already!

3. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    Oooooo. I don't know if the wifey will let me come out and play after a full day at Noble. If it's early enough...sure!

4. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    awwwwyeaah

what's early enough?

5. stolidog

stolidog New Member

I am just getting back into mountain biking.
    4" XC Rig
    I am really out of shape.
    Bike is in good shape.

Good Tech skills, still race Dezert in the senior expert class.

candidate for this ride?

6. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I've seen people do this run on a superlight (not me). No drop more than 2 feet.
    High speed Fireroad for about 3 miles then the singletrack starts. A lot of exposure. There's at least two spots I will be stopping at and directing riders to walk. Just not worth it if you dont clean it.

Comes out to an old abandoned hotel. 1 maybe 2 mile climb or hike if youre me. Good time for yapping about how cool the run was. Then the singletrack starts again. Maybe one more ungly climb under half a mile and then its singletrack until you hit the road. I think its 13 miles total but I could be wrong. Stunning views almost the whole way except where were under a canopy.

Hope that helps.

Mott

7. Dino Brown

Before siging up for any ride in the San Gabriel's (not just this one) realize many (if not most) trails have quite a bit of exposure (i.e. cliffs/drops) to one side! If you are afraid of heights or lack balance/bike handling skills- they may not be for you!

Not trying to scare anyone away..... not trying to over dramatize....... Simply want people to know what they are in for!

[​IMG]

Wish I had a few more drop-off type images...

8. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech

9. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I'd rather scare them, then read about them. We have got a lot of people over the years who absolutely freak out when we get them on some of these trails. Good call, Dino. Let them know now.

10. Dino Brown

Everytime I (HIKE) or bike the San Gabriel's- SOMEONE in my group makes mention of the drop offs. This past weekend, more than one RIDER made mention of the drops.

I have had a close call on more than one occassion...... Pain Freak has left some skin up there.... a close friend of mine FR/DH/Expert Rider (recently) rolled dowwwwn a hill at El Prieto.... etc.

After watching ROAM, I say to myself, I can do that! Stand on top of a 5 foot (not 30 foot) drop and tell yourself the same thing! Same holds true when blindly signing up for a ride.

Just want people to be reality based with regard to their abilities.

Next time I post a San Gabriel's ride, I will be sure to include a memo regarding skill level and exposure!

:beer:

11. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I think that's a great idea regarding skill level.
    Might want to add what to wear. I am still thinking about bringing the full Rockgardn flak jacket.

12. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

That pic is of Lower Merrill on a climb and if you all are shuttling, you won't be on it.
    From the description of it, sounds like you'll be heading up the Echo Mtn. connector (.8 mile) from White Castle Estates from the end of the middle Merrill, then dropping Sunset and eventually EP. Even though it's not the same trail, the exposure is spot on and there's plenty of it. Especially during Middle Merrill. If not an experienced rider and haven't ridden on exposed trails, you might want to skip this one. Technically speaking, not the toughest and not the steepest. Lots of switchbacks, baby heads, water bars, etc. Great riding indeed!

Since it is a weekend, there will be hikers on the lower fronts (Sunset, EP). Please be courteous and always give them the right of way. So many bad encounters up there. I'm sure you all know the drill though so I don't mean to sound redundant.

13. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I am surprised that no one has reminded me of the fall I took on Kenton Devore Trail. So I decided to beat ya to it. Yes, I fell down a 15 foot drop, landing in this pool of water at the bottom of the waterfall.

The trails that drop down into San Gabriel River, east side of Mt. Wilson, see less traffic and the trails are narrower with more debris: acorns, leafs, braches and loose rock. I hate platform pedals but I sometimes put them on those trails…getting a foot down a faction of a second faster can be the difference. Valley Forge Trail is so full of branches that it is not much fun to ride down.

I am ready for a climb up Mt. Wilson Toll Road to descend Mt. Wilson Trail, I have climbed Lower Merrill/ Mt.Lowe Toll Road. to Easton saddle…Mt. Wilson Toll Road is longer and steeper. Ya I know, but I like to climb
    :steppie:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo .

Like these?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the same trail you're going to do but still the San Gabes and you get the picture. No pun intended.

As far as Deans fall, he is lucky that pool was there because I think he could of easily been paralyzed if it wasnt.

15. mtb_prodigy

mtb_prodigy New Member

Ill probably come what time r u guys ridin? Ill be at mammoth the day before so i might come back home on saturday or i might stay over at someones house. Can anyone pick me up? i live in glendale 3 blocks from harvey drive and holly drive. If i dont get picked up then i have to wake up at 5 am get on the bus ride 7 miles then ill get there by 6:30 at the earliest. It would be really nice if someone picked me up.

16. project_d

I dont' know....leave the bottom by 7am...is that a cool time?:-k

17. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    First time last weekend...

I rode there for the first time last weekend and it was sick! I think a big bike is probably overkill once you get it wired, but it's nice to open 'er up on a full dh rig. There are so many elements on the Wilson track. I actually enjoyed the lower horse trail more than the rocks and stuff up top. It's really fast and there are really nice dusty corners that are great for drifting. Really, the whole track is just damn fun. Watch out for the steep pumice section. Take the straight line. It looks gnarly, but it's super clean. Stay loose and watch the brakes. When you clear that section, look back and you'll be proud of yourself.

You don't need to walk any of it, if you pay attention and look where you want to go NOT where you don't want to go. That is a sure-fire way to fall into a ravine. Good times.

Good stuff. Enjoy all.

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Yes. Without a doubt. I know several guys who race in the veterens class, and even though they're not really mountain bikers, when they do hop on mountain bikes, they'll easily spank most hardcore regulars in endurance and technical skills.

Hmm...this sounds like a good ride to break out the VPX.

19. freerider59

freerider59 New Member

I ride with a group that's taken a few expert riders that won't ride it again, because of the exposer. Be carefull & put a bell on your bike the hikers will thank you.

20. project_d

Yeah, it just kinda depends on what mood you're in. Last couple of times I was up there my buddy & i rode our Nomad & SX Trail, before that, we rode the M3 and Mono 2:1.