Ride Report Williams, AZ. (Bill Williams Mountain)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by dstepper, Nov 5, 2007.

1. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Scott (Stjunkie) and I parked at the Forestry Station West of Williams just off Highway 66; I think the area is called Clover Springs. We did a little up and down through this lava rock and boulder single tract…very hobbit forest looking with pines and oaks. Those trails dropped us down into the town of Williams. We then did a 4-5 mile pavement ride out Perkinsville Road to the start of the climb up Benham Trail to climb the 9,240 foot Bill Williams Mountain. The bottom of the Benham Trail is a moderate climb that just keeps getting steeper on the 4.5 mile climb to the summit. The Forest Service was doing some prescribed burns in the area so we rode through the smoldering forest for maybe a mile.

I was not having a good day in the saddle and was way more tired than I should have been for as much climbing as we had done. I opted to bail out on the singletrack climbing and use the forest service road to the top, while Scott stayed on the singletrack. I probably added another 2 miles to my climb but at least it was not as steep as the singletrack. I normally do well at altitude, but that day had me pushing my bike up parts of the fireroad.

Our decent back to Clover Springs was about ½ miles from the summit …since I have a thing for fire lookouts we bagged the peak. We had lunch and headed to the top of Bill Williams Nation Recreation Trail. Here my tiredness revealed itself again with two over the bars within the first ¼ mile of trail. The top is one very steep trail. Scott can ride this stuff because he is skilled enough to go fast…me I am too cautious and go too slow. The Aspen leaves where thick on the trail and this trail sees maybe a couple dozen bikes a year…loose with no obvious lines to follow. I could not find any traction and was battling just to stay in control of my bike, so when waterbars came up I just could not get my front tire up…so over the bars I went….also ended up putting a nice dent in my seat stay. Stopped and re-grouped, put my seat almost all the way down picked up some speed and was able to ride the trail down through of Aspens back into the Pine Forest. Next some sweet buff singletrack for a few miles, then the teeth in this trail come out….it is like National Trail on South Mountain with Pines. Scott calls in chunky goodness, I call it trying to survive then walk. I can do drops and roll chunk but I need a break after a couple of features…this just keep going and going steep drops and chucks. I wish I would have taken some pictures on the way down but pics where not on my mind.

This forest was "lush" with the Aspens and the ferns…stunning. I would like to do this loop again it really is a jewel.

Dean

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2007
  2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

hmmm - Like National with pines? Where do I sign up? I'm going to be in Northern Arizona the weekend of Dec 8/9. Do you think it'll be too late to ride this trail?

C

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    9,240 ft is up there, once there is a good snow that trail will be done for the year. On the brighter side I rode Mt. Elden two years ago at X-Mas and Bill Williams is only a couple hundred feet higher. Check to see if Snow Bowl in Flagstaff is open, they do not make snow, so if they are open Bill Williams Trail will be snowbound.

Benham is not tech and has a Southern exposure so it may be rideable after a light snow.

:steppie:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2007
  4. VTVic

VTVic New Member

IT Guy
    Nice write up Dean. Looks like you and Scott really know how to pick the better spots for riding...