Downhill Will Non Platform Clipless = Bad Ankles?

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by MacGuyVer, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MacGuyVer

MacGuyVer Member.. You Member

first off.. sorry I clipped this quote from an old thread, but I was just doing some research for new shoes/pedals when I read this post :-k

So, I started out riding XC trails, but have moved onto bombing DH fairly quickly. I currently ride SPECIALIZED BG TAHO MTB SHOE on top of SHIMANO M520 PEDALS. So far no complaints with either pedals or shoes. My search began when I damaged one of my pedals during an overhaul today and have come to want inner ankle bone protection my shoes so lack. I'd never thought about the "need" for a cage around the SPD for support during big drops or jumps :eek: ..in fact, I sold my pair of SHIMANO M647 PEDALS because I felt the weight penalty out weighed the benefit of having the wider platform should you need to ride a section unclipped :?: In fact, I found it easier to ride with the smaller SPD pedal unclipped than the larger caged in version.

I guess I'm now worried that I made a mistake in ditching the hybrid SPD/PLATFORM pedals in haste #-o ..your thoughts based on personal experience are appreciated :beer:

2. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

As long as your clipped in when you hit the jump/drop, youllbe fine. I would suggest getting your shimano DX plat/clips back, nice to be able to stand on the platform if you cant find the pedal right away.

Also, if you need more ankle support, there is alot of hi top style spd shoes available.

Oh yeah, I run the 424's cause they work great, adn are chepa to replace when you kill them.

3. MacGuyVer

I fully get the idea, but with the shoe/pedal combo I have it was truly more stable placing the SPD pedal behind the cleat in the arch of my foot, than it was going unclipped with the M647's.. hence the sale 8-[

Are there any "quarter tops" like the SH-MP66's you could recommend?

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

The problem with that, is the Non platform style clipless have a tendancy to roll out form under your foot when standing on it without being clipped in

Give me a few, i will add some links.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...s/shoes/mtb/product.-code-SH-AM50.-type-.html

https://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_6...&product=8447f77b-b2ae-4023-994b-e2023bf3ddc2

I like these two.

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

The other benefit off a clipless pedal with a larger platform is being able to distribute the pressure of your weight over a wider area. Long descents where you're standing is where you'll notice the difference.

6. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I've been riding for 3+ years now, with clips, and doing DH the whole time. no problems here, and I have relatively weak ankles to begin with.

I don't see how having that platform around the pedal would do ANYTHING to alleviate any problems. the pedal is still going to rotate. the only place it would be more helpful in terms of stability is if your ankle is rolling to one ride. in that, case, you'd be unclipping anyway and it would be a moot point. it's just like riding on flats at that point.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly. riding with flats, flat/clip hybrids (the DX SPDs, Mallets, etc), or standard XC clipless pedals will exert the same force on your ankles, if clipped in and riding.

with regards to distributing weight as calepic mentioned, I don't think that's so much of a problem either. SPD shoes will tend to be much stiffer in the sole (or as with many, pretty inflexible at all), so any forces on the cleat will still be distributed across your foot. flat-pedal shoes are usually a bit more flexible, and in that case having a wider platform would help distribute forces better. think of riding an SPD pedal in a normal street shoe and you'll know what I mean.

ride what you've got. if you like having more platform under you, get more platform. personally, I ride clips for XC and racing only, and flats otherwise. I now have some mid-top 5.10's that are great for some extra ankle support, which helps when I'm out freeriding and doing jumps, hucks, crazy stuff.

7. MacGuyVer

i hear ya.. just don't know that i'm skilled enough on platforms to NOT get bucked off.. i attempted a familiar light DH run on my CB 50/50's one afternoon (same shimano shoes, not fiveten's) and was so sketchy & skerd i was gonna get tossed off @ any moment, that i switched back imedietlly :(

..in my next shoe, i'm looking for inside ankle bone protection (from bumps an scuffs more that full on wrap around support). as for pedals, i'm o.k. w/staying on SPD's (non hybrid) unless it's something that will end up hurting my ankles in the long run [-(

8. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

yeah, I honestly don't think that it will be a problem. look at steve peat, he's been running clipless pedals and doing a crapload more rigorous stuff than any of us will do, and his ankles seem fine after 18 some-odd years on the circuit.

like I said, clips for XC and racing, and anywhere where extra power is necessary, and flats for freeriding and general messing around. the flats build good habits on where your feet need to be and what they need to be doing, so I think they should be included in your riding to some extent.

try doing some more relaxed runs to get used to the flats. I did that same thing and immediately went back to clips, but now I'm better with the flats and can change between the two easily.

9. MacGuyVer

Thnx to all for the advise and insight..

..i'm guessing his are of the hybrid variety right?

..so far my knees and ankles are fine. i'd be o.k. w/staying on SPD's (non hybrid) unless it's something that's going to end up hurting my ankles/knees in the long run. wish i could test ride a pair of fivetens on my CB 5050s, to see if they really would inspire the locked on feel i so love about SPD's before i committed $100 bucks to the experiment. Guess i'll give standard platforms & 5tens a try when i can get my hands on a second hand pair of size 12s [​IMG]

10. MacGuyVer

hokie pokie style..

also, i rarely ever find the need to ride unclipped. I may dab around a turn or two, but i'm clicked again in less than a second. Maybe a hand full of times i've had to start in a steep/technical section that required a bit of one foot in/one foot out action, but that's it ..thnx for the shoe linx BTW :)