Ride Report Will I die on the Wilson Trail?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by kanga, Jan 29, 2010.

1. kanga

kanga Active Member

RR: Will I die on the Wilson trail?

Spoiler alert: since I'm writing this ride report, I didn't die. There will be plenty of time and opportunity for that later.

I got a text message this morning saying that we're riding in an hour, do you want to go? About 45 minutes later I was riding my bike out the front door, and onto the metro gold line. Fortunately, Joe and Tom had been delayed by a mechanical issue, and we were able to pedal up to Chantry together.

Upper Winter Creek trail, between San Olene Fire Road and the LWC junction, was in great shape. There was a fire crew at the bottom having lunch, and they had a slew of chain saws and tools out. It was pretty obvious they'd been doing some trailwork, and when we rode up UWC, it was in stellar shape. The few slides that had narrowed the trail down to nothing had been worked on, though the first of them was still too narrow for my handlebars with the tree on the left. We saw one trail running friend out there, and nobody else.

The upper UWC trail was also in stellar shape. The tacky dirt was a joy to climb, and for the first time I cleaned every switchback (except the one with the fallen tree across it). I dabbed in two other places, so I was stoked but pretty worked when I got to the junction, 3/4 of a mile before Manzanita Ridge.

I knew Tom and Joe would be a while, so I decided to take the MTB/Equestrian route around the south side of the ridge for some recon. I had never done it before, always choosing sweet single track over what I'd been told wasn't fun. I'll never do it again either, unless it's to do trailwork on it. It was about 90% unrideable. The steep parts were too steep to ride up. Much of it was grown over; most was fall line trail with no drainage and had become a V shaped rut for its entire length. There were several Yucca strewn sections that were impassible. In short, it's an unsafe, unviable option in its present state.

I got to Manzanita and started back down the UWC trail, but only went a few hundred feet before seeing Tom and Joe heading up. We hung out there for a while and enjoyed the sunshine and the view. There were a few patches of snow on the ground, less than one would expect at 4500' after the recent storms.

The Wilson trail was another story. Coming down from Manzanita ridge, the usually rocky and exposed sections above Orchard Camp really took a beating in the recent storms. There were several slides across the trail, a couple of which we had to walk. Some of the previously narrow but rideable sections had collapsed and were too dangerous to ride. In many of the rockier sections, several inches of topsoil was gone, making some of the rocky drops bigger, rockier and more difficult, the exposure more severe, and the consequences of failure pretty extreme. There were two new large trees down across the trail.

There was water flowing at the portage/hike-a-bike, and a couple of the other ravine switchbacks had the soil completely washed away. Joe took a bit of a digger on one of them, that I was able to ride by riding around the granite wall, though I didn't make it all the way up the steep other side. The gnarly, rocky and exposed switchback right before Orchard Camp is one I usually don't balk at, but the rock drops in the middle of it were steeper and I washed out my front wheel in the middle of the turn. I did what could be called a forced-unplanned hands-first dismount. Fortunately I didn't go over the side, as it's quite a drop, and the trail is narrow.

Below Orchard camp the trail was in much better condition overall. The dirt was fast and tacky, and we only saw a about 6 hikers on the entire trail. There were several slides and a couple of collapsed retaining walls and baskets in places. Other baskets looked like they were ready to collapse at any time. In one place a 2' wide rather deep ravine had opened up across the trail, though there was a narrow but rideable detour over the remnants of the slide above it. I think Joe got some pics there.

It was probably the most sketchy run down the Wilson trail that I've had in a while, but also the best ride up UWC I've ever had. Sketchy doesn't mean it wasn't fun though! Definitely an adventure and a good way to spend a weekday. With the ride to the metro, and the ride home, it was a 35 mile day.

Mt Wilson trail is as exposed and dangerous a trail as one can find in the Angeles, and in its current state is even more so. It's a lot different to a month ago. Be careful if you're heading out there.

UWC Trail out of Chantry:
    [​IMG]

Joe:
    [​IMG]

Tired, bored and yawning, or...?
    [​IMG]

The only switchback I didn't make on UWC, two new logs down:
    [​IMG]

Climbing the south side up to Manzanita:
    [​IMG]

Company on this rarely/never used trail:
    [​IMG]

90% of the this section looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Completely overgrown and gone:
    [​IMG]

Great views:
    [​IMG]

Wilson trail... not much of it left:
    [​IMG]

More trail collapse:
    [​IMG]

What the trail looks like after the topsoil washes away:
    [​IMG]

I rode this section last time we did this trail:
    [​IMG]

The trail is about 75' directly below... this part didn't change:
    [​IMG]

More trail collapse:
    [​IMG]

The portage had water:
    [​IMG]

Below orchard camp:
    [​IMG]

But there were trees down:
    [​IMG]

This didn't change:
    [​IMG]

Exposure:
    [​IMG]

Joe takes a digger:
    [​IMG]

Much of this section was in good shape:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But there were a few slides:
    [​IMG]

Joe:
    [​IMG]

Tom forgot his helmet, had to borrow this one from Joe:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe:
    [​IMG]

Near the bottom:
    [​IMG]

2. zombiefiesta

zombiefiesta New Member

uhhhh
    Dang, this was in great shape before the rains. Hopefully there will be a work day soon.

3. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    I was following a group of shuttle people about 11 years ago on the same trail. About halfway though, this rider was suppose to follow the switchback to the right as it steeply makes it way down. It must have been at least 40 to 50 feet drop if you miss the switch back. Large boulders below I thought for sure this would get you killed instantly. Well, instead of following the switchback this one rider, he just decided to fly off the trail straight down into the boulders. Wow, what a sight as he dropped down. I saw it in slow motion.

He lived, and the group declined that I contact fire rescue down in the city of Sierra Madre.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  4. kanga

kanga Active Member

5. Piranha

Piranha Member

Steve & Joe, thanks for a great ride. Sure beats working for a living. Good times in the San Gabes!

Nice RR & pics as always Steve.

Oh, and Joe, I'd sure like to take "Big Red" of your hands. That thing is sweet. I am certain that it protected my dome much better than my Flux or Remedy ever would have. What do you want for that little gem?

6. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Great RR, Steve. I'm really loving the new camera of yours. It takes great pics.

Fantastic ride with good friends yesterday. The 5 mile ride/climb from my house to Chantry was uneventful and provided a good way to warm up and stretch the legs. Once @ Chantry, we headed up the UWC trail. I started feeling lower back spasms so I backed off and took it easy as I knew the hardest climb of the day is yet to come. Once at the UWC Mt. Wilson split, Steve said he was going to try and ride the whole thing. Normally, I'd say no way but knowing Steve, Tom and I knew it's likely he could and will. After the initial 1/4 mile straight, Tom and I began HAB'ing/riding the switchbacks and the steeps and even that was kicking our asses. This is a 2.75 mile climb, which you gain over 2000 feet so it's not exactly a walk in the park. If you look at one of the pics Steve posted where Tom is going under a tree and I'm at the apex of a switchback, it will give you a real perspective of how steep it is. Steve would wait for us a couple of times and would take off, once we caught up to him. He was climbing like a goat. So strong and determined, it was cool to watch. Nice job, Steve! We didn't know he took a left at the intersection and HAB'd up Dragons. That's no bueno (coming up) and from the looks of it, no bueno coming down right now. I was surprised we didn't see more snow up top. The ridge is 4500 feet and we saw very thin patches here and there. I guess the sun has melted most of it and quickly.

We hung out for a few @ Manzanita Ridge and began our descent into Willie Trail. The top section was a mess and very technical and dangerous. Lots of opportunities for failure with a high penalty. We walked the washed out sections; especially the ones with serious exposure. Right at the get go, I ate crap on one of the rock sections. I'm still not sure why and how but I remember falling but it was no big deal. We kept rolling and a short while later, as I was following Steve down another rock section, followed by a techie left hander through rocks, Steve's front tire caught a rock and he stumbled a bit but managed to run it out vs. falling like a dip shit like I would.

Once @ Orchard Camp, the ride started flowing and we began to ride and was a blast. Hardly a soul out there. We saw 1 hiker above first water and only a handful below first water. That's extremely uncommon for this trail as it's very popular with local hikers. The highlight of the day was Tom and his retro red helmet he was forced to wear, since he forgot his own @ home. Every time I saw him, I'd chuckle. Looking good, CG!!! :lol:
    I had a blast but due to lack of consistent riding in January, it kicked my ass. I wanted to come home, shower, eat and crawl into bed. I wasn't that far off my plan. Until next time, amigos!

Steve going through a loose tech section near the top...
    [​IMG]

Big red crossing...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure about dying on the Willie but you'd get pretty banged up, if you fell off the side...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just below First Water: The trail is nearly all gone...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As exposed as it looks
    [​IMG]

Big Red...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nearing the bottom where it opened up a little (Steve and Big Red)...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom:
    [​IMG]

Steve:
    [​IMG]

Fin! :)

7. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Badass guys. Looks like a good day :)

8. andrewbaker77

andrewbaker77 New Member

Writer
    Stoked

Big monster thanks for the morning stoke dude! I just ordered a new rig, SpecEpic, and this amp's me huge for its arrival. See you on the dirt. -AB

9. geeder

geeder New Member

great pix!!:clap:

10. kanga

kanga Active Member

Joe, you need to do this ride once per week. It's not like it's too far away or anything.... :)

11. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Agreed. I was riding it regularly but haven't in all of January, up until our ride. Weather, work, kids, friends...excuses excuses, I know!

12. Piranha

Piranha Member

I am up for it, work permitting. We could always do it as a night ride. :?: That would be cool.

13. goldrunner

goldrunner New Member

Construction offsite Superintendant
    Nice!
    Last time I did that trail I got Poison Oaked really bad. :?:

14. just ride

just ride cody phillips

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes so i can go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![-o-]

15. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

And no lights! Lights are for amateurs. We're pro night-riders and have natural night vision. Since you're faster then us, you start first and we'll meet you up top, Cody. You might want to bring a book with one of those reading lights attached. ;)

16. just ride

just ride cody phillips

haha actualy iv been told to ride easy aka not fast up 4 days before a race but serously i would like to do some night rides with you guys

17. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Sounds good, Cody.

18. kanga

kanga Active Member

I'd like to do another night ride up there... it's been a while.

I never think of that as a PO trail. Maybe I've been lucky. That was the least of our concerns anyway...

19. Iwannabinsocal

Iwannabinsocal boutique brand elitist

I have a fun job
    I really need to move and get the heck out of WA....going crazy fiending a ride, but I do not ride in cold or wet.....this is the year I move to socal! (though it will not be until after summer)