Will Avid BB7 Mechanical Brakes work with V-brake levers?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by atchipmunk, Sep 8, 2009.

1. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

Working on upgrading the brakes on my old steed from V-brakes to discs and trying to not spend a lot of cash. So, i'm looking at going with some Avid BB7's and am wondering if I can use them with my current V-brake levers? They're Avid SD-1.9L's. Will these work with the BB7's or do you have to run disc brake specific levers? Thanks in advance.

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

2. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    thats what they are designed for. pm me for my number if you need info on setup. or come to tv bikes at 3410 n. broadway, los angeles, ca. 90031.

3. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    Yes, it will work. I believe all mechanical disc brakes are designed to work with direct pull or "V-brake" systems. Only concern is if you have levers designed for cantis. Just make sure you have the bosses for disc brakes (usually 51mm IS standard vs 74mm post). If you buy the 2009 BB7s from Jensonusa, you will get both IS and post mounting hardware for both the front and the rear. Killer package, imho.

4. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

Thanks for the replies. I recently changed the fork to a Marzocchi Junior T, so it ONLY has the IS disk brake mounts. Just laced up a new front wheel as well with a Marzocchi QR20 Disc Hub, so I should be good to go. Thanks again!

5. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Once your done take a journey to the south I.E..

6. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Suggestion.... plan on later switching to the Avid speed dial levers..... Those ar ethe best combo to be had for the bb7's Not that what your using isnt going to be great, but youll like it even better.

7. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    So what makes a direct pull lever great (like the speed dials)? Is it just adjustability? My girlfriend's bike has tektro aquila mechanical brakes, and the brake lever feels terrible. Not sure if that's the lever, housing, cables, or calipers. The levers have play up and down and feel extremely spongy.

Sorry to threadjack.

8. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

No worries...it's a relevant question. I was wondering the same thing too...

At a later date, i'll probably upgrade the levers to something that suits the BB7's better....that is, if I don't upgrade to hydro's before then...:D

9. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Got Hydro?

The only difference in cable levers is that V and Canti levers pull more cable per stroke than caliper (road/bmx 990) types. Nothing mechanical is high end and will tend to include lousy levers, on the plus side running the avid levers means you wont need a bell:lol:.

10. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

No worries, the speeddial levers have alot of adjustment, you can make the lever hard, with less power, but more of an on off feel, or softer with more modulation and more power. bb7's are probably one of the more powerfull braking systems out there. They really do work well, I ran them for DH for many years till I finally got tired of adjusting them everyride, compensating for the inner pad wear.

As far as them feeling like poo.... I would start with teh cables. Go get some BMX Linear cables. They are cheaper than the flak jackets from avid, and do the same thing. You want as little compression a spossible for Mech disc brakes, youll notice mroe power right away.

But the bb7's are def not low end, and work great when set up properly.I never had a problem with noise with my bb7's, seems to be a problem now with any of the hydros I get now though...