Will a local bike shop help me with this fork??

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by gregspangler, Nov 22, 2009.

1. gregspangler

gregspangler notsofast

Firefighter
    I just bought a brand new(in packaging) 2010 F120 RLC Fox fork from a member on this board. It has the standard quick release dropouts, but after looking around, I think I would like to try to trade up for a fork with the 15QR setup.

Will a local shop take my fork and let me pay the upcharge for the 15QR model?? I would also pay this shop to install the new fork onto the bike and also upgrade my King hub to the 15mm QR.

I know this is a stretch because I didn't buy it from them and they don't know where it came from, but it hasn't been removed from the sealed packaging and is 100% pristine.

Any shops in OC or SD willing to do this will get my business, or am I out of luck on this one?

2. davidB

davidB Active Member

No. 99% sure on this one.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

No likely.....buying from the private sector leaves you no recourse for returns if you decide you don't like what you bought.

On the other had, just about any shop can order you up a new set of lowers with 15qr.

Also, just because you are going to have the shop do the labor and also buy a new King hub, doesn't mean that are willing to eat the $275 or so for the new lowers.

4. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Just be patient

15mm is more of a fad than girl jeans, fixies, or 29" wheels; so give it a few months and they will be on the clearance rack with Giga pets and Beanie babies;).

5. gregspangler

gregspangler notsofast

Firefighter
    I figured. I wasn't really sure about the whole 15mm QR anyways, but thought I would give it a try. I wouldnt want to pay for new lowers in addition to having the hub rebuilt for the new axle. If I could get it with just having to pay to install the fork and get the new hub assembly, then I would be game, but to pay $215 for the QR setup on top of everything else, I am out.

I know a lot of people say the through axle is the way to go, but for a short travel 100 or 120mm fork, I dont know how much improvement I will notice.

6. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    You could use a Roval wheel with the 28mm end caps and have a pretty stiff setup with the fork you have.

7. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Probably not much. You will actually get more flex out of your wheels than the fork. Except for long travel bikes where strength is needed a QR is just fine. Most of the perceived flex that brought about the T/A attachment systems is actually the wheels flexing, not the fork. But manufacturers are happy to come out with something new and take consumer's money.

8. gregspangler

gregspangler notsofast

Firefighter
    I just had the fork installed as is and love it. I was on the fence about the whole thru axle thing anyways, and I just wanted to ride the dang thing. What a fork it is, absolutely amazing to ride and look at. Fox outdid themselves on this one. Thanks for all the input.

Review for this fork coming soon...