Will a 10 speed wheel/cassette fit on an old...

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Draheim18, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    I crashed at the Valentine's Day Massacre crit two weekends ago and after riding my frame for a couple days was looking at it yesterday and noticed that my frame is cracked under the drive-side chainstay.

Basically my options are to buy a new frame under Specialized crash replacement program (not sure of the discount yet) or switch everything to the old Cannondale frame I have.

I don't want to buy a new bike under the crash replacement program unless I have someone willing to pay the exact amount I did and get the bike a month old because I bought a new Tarmac Pro SL3 frame last week, but unfortunately, I won't get it for another 3-4 weeks because my size was back ordered.

So will a 10 speed wheel/cassette fit on the old road frame that currently has 8 speed components?

If not, will my 105 shifters work with an old Shimano rear derailleur (not sure if the pull ratio's have changed or not)?

If the pull ratio's are different, can I use my 10 speed rear derailleur and just use the limit screws so it can't over/under shift? Would I need to replace the pulley wheels with the ones from the old rear derailleur since it would be using an 8 speed chain instead of a 10 speed?

2. rjrbignell

rjrbignell owed a living

bike shop employee / independant contractor
    That's a few questions to answer, but the newer hub should fit fine as they've basically trimmed stuff down to lower tolerances. Whit that being said, the thicker 8 speed chain might not fit on the newer thinner derailer.

3. DREWBUSH

DREWBUSH New Member

As long as the rear dropout width is the same, it would work. You would need to swap the entire driveline components over. And also make sure the derailuer hangers are compatible. I was looking into upgrading my old '88 cannondale, but then realized the rear dropout was a 126mm, not the standard 130mm that is today. So rear wheels are harder to come-by. I guess "all original", it will stay.

4. rjrbignell

rjrbignell owed a living

bike shop employee / independant contractor
    if its a steel frame, you can just spread the dropouts.