Ride Report Wildwood Solo Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by shudder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    I really needed to get out into the sun today...

I'm working at home this week, and my son Willie bailed on me, so I posted up that I was going to roll out into Wildwood Regional Park in Thousand Oaks around 12:30, looking for joiners. Wildwood is somewhat local to me, and it would be new dirt under my tires. Epicriderat called me back and gave me the low down on the canyon, which I wrote down as quickly as I could:

[​IMG]

Hm. Not quite yer Garmin thang, but that's how I roll. I was all set.

I touched base with metalmtbr who is currently living vicariously through RRs as he recuperates. So, while Dennis cannot ride, he can look at purty pitchers, and maybe feel ze wind in his hair. Whatever. So, I dedicate today's solo adventure into Wildwood to all my healing pals -- metalmtbr, OMR, whybother, and I am sure there are others...

You've forgiven me for all that photoshopping silliness, right Gregg? Right?... :?:

Get better you guys. I know what it's like to not be able to get out there into the sun and ride like I did today, and it ain't no fun.

~~~~~~~~~~

I pulled into the Wildwood parking lot (as indicated above in Todd's fine directions...) at the west dead end of Avenida De Los Arboles in TO. Here's a map of the TH:

http://tighturl.com/1xq4

It actually looks on the web, and even in person, a bit like Aliso/Top of the world. I had not realized that until just now, but it's true. You even roll down into the Wildwood trails from up top like you do in Laguna.

The first thing you notice is the expanse. I mean, the place just opens up in front of you as you make your way across the initial meadows:

[​IMG]

And it is all very verdant and glowing right now. It'll look very different come summer...

[​IMG]

I made my way west to Lizard Rock in the distance. I came to a trail and checked my 'map' such as it was. Nope, straight on still (I think):

[​IMG]

Just beyond this fork, it gets mighty steep as you climb up toward Lizard Rock. In this shot looking back, you can see the canyon down below to the right. Looks like fun:

[​IMG]

Just off to the right from that view, you look down on the water treatment plant. Looks so out of place!

[​IMG]

It's all very well maintained, with lots trail markers and fences and shiat. Just an amazing view as you get up there:

[​IMG]

A little further up the hill brings us to Lizard Rock. Yep, there it is:

[​IMG]

And there's my turnoff. Time for some ST down to the treatment plant...

[​IMG]

This downhill section of ST starts of with a bunch of switches and the trail has one huge rut going down the center almost all the way down, making it muy difficil to look around much, so I went slow to take it all in. This was my first time there, after all. Even the corners are well maintained (Hill Canyon Fire Road running north to the right, below):

[​IMG]

It was all very lush out there today. The flowers are everywhere:

[​IMG]

At the bottom is the plant. I believe that's humanure laid out there. Seriously:

[​IMG]

It's a big plant, and the trail skirts around it the whole way:

[​IMG]

And then it's time to head east back up the lower part of the canyon:

[​IMG]

I'm not used to seeing water in SoCal canyons -- usually everything is just bone dry. But Wildwood is chock full of the wet stuff. Here's bridge crossing #1 (of many):

[​IMG]

A view from the bridge...

[​IMG]

I saw a ton of hikers, one sullen runner, and NO MTBers (?!?!), which kinda surprised me. Again, felt very much like Aliso down in the canyon there. Picnic tables and stair steps and hiker-friendly stuff.

I followed my treasure map and made my way up the canyon to Paradise Falls:

[​IMG]

I was simply amazed by the falls:

[​IMG]

I mean, they look like something from.. a whole 'nother state -- not freakin' Thousand Oaks!!!!

[​IMG]

There's lichen all over the rocks down there:

[​IMG]

You can't see it in the above shot, but I was struck how the withered flowers of that very pale plant look exactly like the lichen. Here's a detail from the shot above:

[​IMG]

I continued to thread my way up the canyon, eventually finding the Indian Cave sign:

[​IMG]

I went up to have a look (it's only 40 or 50 yards further up). Quite a view from in there. I felt a bit like an interloper on sacred grounds...

[​IMG]

I made my way back down and went LEFT and LEFT again to the trail directly across from the cave. I guess this became Moonridge Trail, and my map was officially done. It's a beauty of a tree covered trail (note the little waterfall in the lower left):

[​IMG]

One final water crossing for good measure, and then a lot of stairs to the top:

[​IMG]

Finally, I arrived back at Avenida De Los Arboles, just a couple hundred yards down from the parking lot where I started.

[​IMG]

I was back in the car just after 2pm. Nice ride. Hope you like the pitchers.

- shud

2. N4th4n

N4th4n Its a purse..oookkkkkkaay

Nice ride huh....just on me doorstop...

Although there is a slightly better / longer route that means you can ride back without the steps.....

We'll probably hit it up one night in the next few weeks. I'll hollar ya !

3. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Great pictures! I miss those TO trails, sure looks great with all the wild flowers.

4. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    Shud...dude, those are AWESOME pic's! I can't believe that was your first time at Wildwood but glad you made it. One definitely notices the expanse after you climb the initial hill from the TH. Kind of takes your breath away.

I've ridden there many times - usually after work and I've never seen it as colorful as you've captured it. I need to do a mini-hike there soon to take in the scenery.

Wasn't the ST down to the poo-poo plant a hoot? Nice rocky terrain, switchbacks, flowy and fast. Did you ride Stagecoach? I can see it in the distance in one of your photographs (the fifth pic taken from the base of the climb to Lizard Rock). Like Nath said, there are some other fun alternate routes that I'm sure the crue can show you.

Anyhoot, I really appreciate you posting the pics!! I enjoyed getting a big dose of virtual mountain biking by way of your pics and recent GoPro HD footage Busterb recorded for me from the crue's ride last weekend at The Hub/Rogers Rd. I'm farklemt! (Talk amongst yourselves).

5. ShockTheraphy

ShockTheraphy New Member

really nice photos!! what dslr do you got and how do you carry it?

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    How close is that to Cheesbro? I really miss the trails in that area as well. Todd ( epicriderat) was always my guide.

7. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Nikon D300 with a Tokina 12-24 aboard on this day. I carry it in my sack (C-bak H.A.W.G.). I don't treat it special, except when I am shooting pictures with it. It just goes in the bag with my shock pump, extra tubes, et al.

Just down the road a bit. Maybe another 20 minutes west on the 101 and up the 23 from Cheezie.

- shud

8. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    I can even make a poo-poo plant look purty!

Glad you liked the pics, D. It was a gorgeous day out today. Hated sitting inside burning the whole day on server maintenance and writing DBMS, so off I went, cam in hand!!

I really haven't ridden as much of our local hills as you might think. Chesebro, LV, MCSP, Backbone, Sycamore, Millennium, Ahmanson and more recently Space Mountain, Hummingbird and Wildwood, and that's about it. I know there's tons more out there...

- shud

9. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Nice RR as per usual!

Thanks!

10. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    what was the distance of that route?
    I have some friends coming in from Colo next week and was going to take them to Sycamore Cyn but am thinking of changing the plans....

11. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    ~ 4.5 miles

12. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    That is amazing. This is close to wayside right?? I used to shoot with ATF/FBI SWAT in a location that looked similar to the high photos.

13. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    I don't know what 'wayside' is... :?:

It's just on the west side of TO... the side that looks down into Ventura County/Camarillo.

Abui is right on with the distance. I mapped it for you:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/ca/thousand oaks/256127074081130387

Came in at 4.26 miles with about 500 feet of climbing. Easy peasy. Going up Moonridge at the end is probably not a great idea -- too many stairs to climb -- so stay left at the Indian Cave sign and climb up the FR. I turned around and crossed over the creek and went up Moonridge by accident. C'est la vie.

- shud

14. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Near the honor ranch as seen from I-5???

15. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Honor ranch?

In any case, it's out west on the 101 before you drop down to the flats of Ventura. TO, Newbury Park, etc.

Does that help?

- shud

16. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Can 10 miles be added?

17. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Not even close to Wayside (Castaic)

18. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Calling N4th4n, epicriderat, busterb, metalmtbr to a white courtesy telephone...

I just did the one loop yesterday on my 'lunch hour', but I am sure one of the crue above can demo ways to add mileage out there. Stay tuned...

- shud

19. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I just don't want to make the trip from OC for 4-5 miles...even 15mi is not enough for the driving mileage but atleast 15miles will be worth it w/ views and saddle time

20. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Well, you could always do Wildwood, then hop back in the truck and go over to Space Mountain (10 minutes away) for a second ride. That would be cool.

Still, PM one of the guys, or wait for a reply here. They all know it muuuuuch better 'n me. I'm a noob to the Wildwood area.

- shud